• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The closest thing to a must-win game in years?

top dawg

OK, some of you may not agree, and perhaps I'm being hyperbolic in a literal sense, because it's just a game (season opener, no less), but there's no way that we can lose to the Jets and good things happen. We have to beat the Jets, period! New staff, and new QB, with a decidedly less talented offense. This is a must-win! Now I really think that there's no way we should lose, especially considering that the new boy wonder of New York City is not quite living up to great expectations in camp--i.e., he's looking like a lost rookie that is presently in no way prepared for the speed of the game; lose to him and that unstable organization, and our atmosphere here will become just as volatile as the Jets' may become very shortly. Our opening game won't be the Hot Seat Bowl because one staff is new and one is relatively new, but it will be the Hot Potato Bowl, and that hot potato represents  volatility. You catch it, and the atmosphere surrounding your franchise will become potentially explosive, even if it's just a slow burn that leads to a big boom at some given point in the future.

The Panthers really don't have any reason to lose. Sam Darnold, Rhule or anyone can say anything they want, but the crystal clear irony of the game, and something akin to the poetic justice of victory makes the Panthers' game against the Jets a must-win game in my eyes.

What do you see?

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

I see two teams that both are going to surprise people next year, both added a ton of new pieces, each with something to prove, going at it like its the Superbowl.   

We are NOT playing the 2020 jets.    

The jets beat two winning teams last year.

We beat zero.

I will not judge the season by the outcome of this game.

That said...I hope we destroy them.

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

I see two teams that both are going to surprise people next year, both added a ton of new pieces, each with something to prove, going at like its the Superbowl.   

We are NOT playing the 2020 jets.    

The jets beat two winning teams last year.

We beat zero.

Who was the Jets' QB for those victories? That's rhetorical!

• Beer 3

6 minutes ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

For Darnold it is...

For the team overall...not really.

If we can't beat a team with a brand new staff, rookie QB, a suspect O-line and suspect offensive skill players, then who the hell can we beat (with all these shiny new toys)?

And I'll add that Rhule and company pushed their chips in on Darnold.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 3

I generally prefer the toughest game be week 1.  Just because it is such a weird week.  

And there is no film on anything about the Jets.  

Week 1 IMO is often a crap shoot.  Good teams can come out slow and bad teams hot. 

Weird opening game for Sam too.  The revenge and hometown games are always a mixed bag.  Can work for or against a guy. 

• Beer 1