• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFFs top graded preseason rookie wideouts.

Zod

33 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is why I found Robby's extension a bit baffling and why it leaves me a bit concerned about our plans for DJ.

I probably don’t understand these things, but isn’t it for just 2 years ? 
My thinking is, if Marshall and Sly are good, not injury prone etc .

so after 2 years DJ Moore will have his contact and the others still on a rookie contract.( if they are as good as we hope ) . And Robby might have to move on.. 

Edited by OceanPanther
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, OceanPanther said:

My thinking is, if Marshall and Sly.

so after 2 years DJ Moore will have his contact and the others still on a rookie contract.( if they are as good as we hope ) . And Robby might have to move on.. 

And Robby will be 30 when he is in the last year of his deal. That's normally about the time span you expect a WR to start their decline. Similar to how the CMC deal was, we seem to have hit the mark on the average time an NFL player is effective at their position when we structured some of these deals. Intentional or not.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

35 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is why I found Robby's extension a bit baffling and why it leaves me a bit concerned about our plans for DJ.

Our plans for DJ are ultimately up to DJ.  He balls out he gets paid.   It's that simple.   Whether it's us or someone else.  I think we will be fine if it's not us.  It's a good problem to have. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, OceanPanther said:

My thinking is, if Marshall and Sly.

If we're contenders by then Robby might resign cheap for the last couple years of his career, biggest concern is Shaq making 18 mil the next couple years. 

6 minutes ago, OceanPanther said:

My thinking is, if Marshall and Sly are good, not injury prone etc .

3, but only the first two are essentially guaranteed.   

• Beer 1

32 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The Bucs with Godwin and Evans is a fair example.  They have two guys with a roughly 33 mil/yr investment with 2 younger promising guys in Darden and T Johnson.  Same with Beckham and Landry.

Looking around the league right now, many teams have around 30-35 mil invested in either 2 top guys or 3 with 1 obvious mainstay.  Teams that have under 30 mil invested in WRs have a lot of young unproven talents or landed some great draft picks in the last 3 years.  Reasonable to think we carry two nice WR contracts in 2022 with 2 potential studs coming out of this draft and don't believe it is breaking the bank.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, davos said:

And if Darnold doesn't work out (rooting otherwise) and we land a rookie QB, we've got some time before we need to pay the QB room and will have a really really nice window with our homebuilt team from 2022-2026

Even if Darnold DOES work out, he's not getting top of the market money. No where close. Darnold needs to show 2+ seasons of high level play to get a big contract. This is why he is a low risk high upside signing. 

1 minute ago, CanadianCat said:

Even if Darnold DOES work out, he's not getting top of the market money. No where close. Darnold needs to show 2+ seasons of high level play to get a big contract. This is why he is a low risk high upside signing. 

Well, the issue with that is that he only has this season and next. So, if he blows up this year, do you risk that last year of his deal to be a tiebreaker? I suppose we have a franchise tag to use on him to extend that period. 

Which......I am completely down to have the "problem" of having to decide how much to pay a QB that has been playing lights out for us.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1