• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Pittsburgh Steelers at Carolina Panthers Gameday Thread

Zod

Halftime thoughts on Darnold:

Looked quite good throwing the ball to the outside on short, out-breaking routes. Mixed bag in the intermediate part of the field--had a really good multi-progression read throw on 3rd down to DJ Moore.  But also missed Terrace Marshall Jr. and Robby badly over the middle.  The latter should have been picked. We didn't attempt anything deep, although that's probably by design, as I'm not sure the O-line could've provided enough time for the WRs to get downfield.  With the O-line, he may have less success moving forward in the short part of the field because teams will be able to tailor their game plan to that, sort of like they could against Teddy last year when they realized he just wasn't willing to throw down the field.

All in all, I'm cautiously optimistic about Darnold. Certainly somethings he needs to work on, and all of this was against second stringers, but the O-line hasn't done him any favors.  I'll reserve judgment until I've seen him in a couple real games.  But I'm decidedly worried about the O-line, and think they may prevent proper analysis of whether Darnold is/can be good or not.

• Pie 2