• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you be upset if Sam was KC version of Alex Smith?

Panthercougar68

12 minutes ago, BrianS said:

No, wrong again.

Smith's last year in KC he averaged 8.6 air yards per attempt, with a 67.5% completion rate.  By way of comparison, Mahomes last year averaged 8.9 air yards per attempt, with a 66% completion rate.

Need more?  Ok.  Look at Tyreek Hill.  In Hill's first season starting, Smith's last season in KC, Hill had his second highest yards per reception and his highest yards per target over his career.

I am in no way saying Smith is close to Mahomes.  What I'm illustrating here is that KC parted with Alex Smith because they had an absolutely GENERATIONAL talent on their hands and after the years Smith had in KC, he was clearly not a backup.

Not saying I would want an Alex Smith here, but the comparisons to TB5 are grossly wrong.  TB5 doesn't come close.

If you want to argue that Alex Smith isn't a risk adverse QB that  refused to pull the trigger.....have at it.   

It's why a playoff team spent a top 10 pick on a QB in Mahomes despite winning for years with Alex Smith....because he wouldn't make the throws Reid needed.   He had the physical ability to. 

Teddy Bridgewater and Alex Smith are the same type QBs.  That isn't new.  It was all discussed last year on this very board.   And it isn't new why Andy Reid was ready to move on from Alex Smith. 

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Smith has only played a full season 3 times. Health was always an issue, but in the 5 year stretch where he actually played 15/16 games, he averaged over 20 TDs a year. Smith peak isn’t Mahomes but he was a level above Bridgewater. That was also when Smith was 29-33, so unfortunately he missed a lot of time during his early years.

That said, Darnold isn’t Smith or Bridgewater. He’s got a more dynamic arm. I think he’s boom or bust and maybe he can become more consistent but I’d be happy to get the playoff streak of healthy Smith. I just can’t compare Darnold to either because he doesn’t play like either of them.

I think Alex Smith actually missed 1 game during his 5 years in KC.  Health wasn't an issue.  Being risk adverse was, which was holding the team back.   Which is why they drafted a QB that would sling it despite being a consistent playoff team with Smith. 

He was routinely sitting out week 17 those seasons as they headed into the playoffs. 

Alex Smith is a better version of Teddy.  Yes.  But again, They are the same type of QB.  So if you want Sam Darnold to be an Alex Smith type.....you are wanting him to be a Teddy.   To which I say, no thank you.  I didn't want Teddy because he was a poor man's Alex Smith.   You need a QB that makes plays downfield in today's NFL.  The selling of Sam Darnold keeps taking dramatic shifts IMO.   

Should of drafted Fields.  Should of drafted Mac.   And I disliked Mac Jones.  But Mac Jones is making plays downfield in preseason.    That is, if the goal for Sam Darnold is now becoming to play like Teddy/Alex. 

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

Let's be honest, if he came in and performed like Alex Smith did with the Chiefs (5 winning seasons in a row) he'd be the best QB to ever suit up for the Panthers. 

But once again it's more people disrespecting how good a QB Alex Smith was more than anything. 

Agreed. He leaned game manager but he was a very effective NFL player. Now, admittedly, I think a bunch of that credit probably lies with Andy Reid but Smith played his part. 

I would definitely take "prime" Alex Smith over Sam Darnold, lower ceiling or not.

And for the people complaining about Smith not being a true franchise QB, okay, fine. But pair that with the success he had in those five years and now we are a serious NFL team to contend with.

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I still don't trust USC qb's.  They flame out as much as OSU QB's.  Besides, we are not lucky enough to find a diamond in the trash pile.

People think of Mark Sanchez when they think USC QB's and their utter flame-outs now.

Hope Sam can break that crappy mold and rise above it.

4 hours ago, top dawg said:

Anyone that would be happy with a ceiling of Alex Smith has lowered their expectations. Alex Smith's a nice backup--was a nice backup.

The rationalization gymnastics are fun to watch 😅

Alex was cast in a negative light in order to denigrate Teddy...

...now in a flip-flop John Kerry would be proud of Smith is held out as a beacon of light for Silver Platter Sam to follow to the promised land 😂🙌

• Pie 1

Darnold could play like Alex Smith and with this offensive talent win consistently. Right now I want Darnold to be smart and conservative and take what the defense is giving him.  He needs to take care of the ball and let his players do the work while we improve the talent on this team.  But down the road when he has mastered the system and is comfortable with his line I want him throwing downfield and using that strong arm to keep safeties deep and make teams pay for blitzing us. If that can happen sooner then great. But I expect Darnold to be the best version of himself which could potentially be better than Smith if he can get his mojo here.

• Beer 2

17 hours ago, Tinamedina said:

There was nothing wrong with Alex Smith, he just was outplayed in almost every situation he was in. Thats not really on him, there was some bad luck involved as well. With the chiefs, alex smith was good, even went to the playoffs? but Mahommes was/is more flashy,athletic,basically had that "it" factor, kind of hard to deny that. Then he broke his leg in Washington, that was the bad luck. I wouldn't mind Alex Smith but with this oline the panthers need an athletic qb who can use his legs when he needs to.

does Mahomes have the same “it” that PJ has?

2 hours ago, Mother Grabber said:

does Mahomes have the same “it” that PJ has?

All of the mobile qb's have the same "it" factor. Its why andy dalton was booed and justin fields got a standing ovation, yes our oline needs to be more solidified BUT we still need a mobile qb.

Edited by Tinamedina

1 hour ago, PghPanther said:

He's Steve Beuerlein 2.0.....manage the game okay but don't put the team on his back to pull out a big win when needed. 

...he's a career .481 gamer at best.

Good luck Panther fans...........find a team to root for in the post season because you won't be there. 

Kindly change your username to the actual team you're rooting for.

Thanks.