• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Network says Darnold worst starting QB in the league.

Khyber53

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

The article said "but Darnold's preseason play didn't inspire confidence."

The comment implies that he had a poor preseason.  It has nothing to do with his history. 

Even just looking at the preseason performance in a bubble, one could argue it wouldn't inspire confidence. Most of the throws were short, the same thing people fussed about Teddy B doing. He had happy feet, locked onto receivers, etc. Oh, and this was against backups! Take off the fanboy glasses and you can see the writer's point even if you feel it's wrong. As others have said, Darnold and the Panthers are an afterthought for the mass majority of the NFL community(fans, writers, etc)

• Flames 1

56 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Even just looking at the preseason performance in a bubble, one could argue it wouldn't inspire confidence. Most of the throws were short, the same thing people fussed about Teddy B doing. He had happy feet, locked onto receivers, etc. Oh, and this was against backups! Take off the fanboy glasses and you can see the writer's point even if you feel it's wrong. As others have said, Darnold and the Panthers are an afterthought for the mass majority of the NFL community(fans, writers, etc)

Taking what the defense gives you is EXACTLY what a QB should do.  The difference is TB went underneath regardless of whether someone deep was open.  Why? Because he couldn't make that throw.  Darnold does not have that issue. 

Let me ask you this.  Check down to CMC for a sure gain or throw deep into questionable coverage?  I see where either way Darnold is wrong with you. 

I think your POINT, not the article is, his past performance doesn't inspire confidence. GOT IT but based off the article the numbers don't match the comment.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, joemac said:

Thats what I am failing to understand - Sam only played 1 half of football and completed 76% of his passes for 160 yards, 2 TDs and 0 turnovers.  In what world is that "struggling"? If thats bad, I will take bad every single game. 

That would only be 5440 yards and 68 TDs if he played at that pace all season.  LOL. 

In a world where our starters were going up against against backups......and Sam wasn't able to get anything going until the 2 minute drive as the half was about to end.   

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Taking what the defense gives you is EXACTLY what a QB should do.  The difference is TB went underneath regardless of whether someone deep was open.  Why? Because he couldn't make that throw.  Darnold does not have that issue. 

Let me ask you this.  Check down to CMC for a sure gain or throw deep into questionable coverage?  I see where either way Darnold is wrong with you. 

I think your POINT, not the article is, his past performance doesn't inspire confidence. GOT IT but based off the article the numbers don't match the comment.

I've always said Darnold should get the chance to be the guy once he was traded for. I still believe that and think he has to prove the FO was correct in believing in him. I hope Darnold works out as it means the Panthers can start loading up on Oline talent and the other holes on the roster. But I'm also prepared for him not to work out and the Panthers being on the lookout for a QB again next year. And yes, a QB should take what is there including a check down to CMC if that is the best option.

My point is that the stats don't tell the whole story. By themselves, they look impressive. But they were against backups and guys that won't be on a NFL roster this year and he still struggled at times during that half. If you don't look at it as a fan, but as someone with no interest in the Panthers, then it wasn't confidence inspiring.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

In a world where our starters were going up against against backups......and Sam wasn't able to get anything going until the 2 minute drive as the half was about to end.   

Sam's best drive was certainly the 2 minutes but the 2nd quarter had 3 drives, 1 punt because we failed to get 2 yards in 2 downs, and 2 TDs... 

I would also argue the 1st drive was as much on Brady/Rhule testing if the OL could get a yard as on Darnold.

I can agree the performance didn't settle anything but I thought he made some quality throws.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I've always said Darnold should get the chance to be the guy once he was traded for. I still believe that and think he has to prove the FO was correct in believing in him. I hope Darnold works out as it means the Panthers can start loading up on Oline talent and the other holes on the roster. But I'm also prepared for him not to work out and the Panthers being on the lookout for a QB again next year. And yes, a QB should take what is there including a check down to CMC if that is the best option.

My point is that the stats don't tell the whole story. By themselves, they look impressive. But they were against backups and guys that won't be on a NFL roster this year and he still struggled at times during that half. If you don't look at it as a fan, but as someone with no interest in the Panthers, then it wasn't confidence inspiring.

Sure, some were starters and 75% is damn good and you can only play against whoever they put out there.  19-25-162-1-0 is good and the TD pass to Anderson was pin point.  QBR 119.1.  What more could you ask for other than 100% completion rate which is nearly impossible in 25 attempts. 

I don't agree they were playing players that wouldn't make the team.  Some were starters and the others were backups. 

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, TheoJay10 said:

This is good. I hope that the organization sees things like this. We haven’t had the most consistency over the years but when we are good we have been a force. Just have to learn to keep winning consistently in multiple faucets of the game. 

I hope Rhule has all these articles saying Sam is the worst QB in the league taped to the walls of his locker. 

• Poo 2

4 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

In truth, yeah. We are who they say we are until proven otherwise. 

Exactly. Nobody is going to look at our inconsistent record and predict us anywhere near the playoffs.  We'd have to change our names to the Dallas Cowboys to get that.

2 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Looking at the pre-season performance in a bubble - those short throws? That's what the offence is all about. It attacks you horizontally with short, quick passes to move the chains. THEN it hits you over the top once you overcompensate. We've seen it for over a decade in New Orleans. 

Darnold is a gunslinger with poor footwork. They're addressing the footwork, but it's an ongoing process. They've clearly got him to buy into the system - stop playing hero ball, take what the defence is giving you and trust that the Sexy Rexy plays will come naturally. 

Bridgewater did the first part extremely well, which is why he had 3 1k WRs. He didn't do the second part well - he wouldn't pull the trigger enough - which is why they moved on from him (and because I think he's a toxic personality). 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, mav1234 said:

Sam's best drive was certainly the 2 minutes but the 2nd quarter had 3 drives, 1 punt because we failed to get 2 yards in 2 downs, and 2 TDs... 

I would also argue the 1st drive was as much on Brady/Rhule testing if the OL could get a yard as on Darnold.

I can agree the performance didn't settle anything but I thought he made some quality throws.

And you would win that argument.

Two of those drives both resulted in attempting Running plays to get the 1 yard instead of Sam throwing the ball or doing a QB sneak. 

• Beer 1