• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christensen and Brown "close to contributing"

Zod

11 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Sad thing is he was the best of the street walking guards at the time if I'm not mistaken.   Which says all you need to know about the FA pool. 

was he the best though?  could we not have waited and got a terrible guard later in free agency and just paid closer to the minimum?

I almost started a thread to point our Brady only got 4 snaps last week against the Jets, but the Huddle has enough things to gnash teeth about.

Hoping for more soon.  And hoping it's not because of injuries, but because he's proven he's better.  I understand not wanting rookie OLs to get shell shocked, but I hope we put him in the fast lane to playing more soon.

• Pie 5

If you can't find an OG or OT on the open market then you have to draft them. Plenty of OGs the last few years in the draft, the excuses just don't hold up there. Its completely self inflicted and unacceptable. LT has been a lot harder but we already passed one up this year. Your reap what you sow. Play the rookies and if they are not it keep drafting new options.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

No. We signed him early. According to this list (pain to find the old list with where they signed) he was ranked 17th, but we jumped quickly. We didn’t wait to sign him or Erving. For a few million more there were some much better options. Heck even some older guys who would have been nice 1 year placeholders.

Forgot the list:

https://walterfootball.com/freeagents2021G.php

exactly

Not every position on your football team is going to have a great player, that's the point of the salary cap.

Not every free agent is going to be above average or even average.

The problem with these signings is we did early and we overpaid.

If you are patient you can find "cheaply".

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

was he the best though?  could we not have waited and got a terrible guard later in free agency and just paid closer to the minimum?

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

No. We signed him early. According to this list (pain to find the old list with where they signed) he was ranked 17th, but we jumped quickly. We didn’t wait to sign him or Erving. For a few million more there were some much better options. Heck even some older guys who would have been nice 1 year placeholders.

Not sure why the jumpe6 on Eflin so early and I agree he wasn't worth signing.  Maybe because he can be a backup center?

Erving I get because he is a natural LT, albeit not one you sign long term. 

It appears the hope was to get some help in the draft, which they did accomplish.  Now it's just a matter of finding out if there's a competent starter among them.  The view from the cheap seats appears that they just might have gotten 2 from the draft.  That's a good start with Moton locked in. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

Not every position on your football team is going to have a great player, that's the point of the salary cap.

That's why it's so important to hit on your draft choices.   Young starters are CHEAP starters.  

I'd love to see Christensen and Brown get installed as starting Guards effective immediately.  

26 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Sad thing is he was the best of the street walking guards at the time if I'm not mistaken.   Which says all you need to know about the FA pool. 

He was not the best by a wide margin. We signed him anyway. Remember that was an initial flurry signing which was why a lot of the NFL pundits scratched their heads at the timing and contract(this goes for Erving too).

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Not sure why the jumpe6 on Eflin so early and I agree he wasn't worth signing.  Maybe because he can be a backup center?

Erving I get because he is a natural LT, albeit not one you sign long term. 

It appears the hope was to get some help in the draft, which they did accomplish.  Now it's just a matter of finding out if there's a competent starter among them.  The view from the cheap seats appears that they just might have gotten 2 from the draft.  That's a good start with Moton locked in. 

I really thought they liked Elflein as a guard/back up center, and possible take over for Paradis next year.

Elflein was actually drafted pretty high as a center prospect.

As a pure guard the signing made no sense at all.

• Pie 3

Just now, AU-panther said:

I really thought they liked Elflein as a guard/back up center, and possible take over for Paradis next year.

Elflein was actually drafted pretty high as a center prospect.

As a pure guard the signing made no sense at all.

I thought he was picked up for this reason too, to give us flexibility and a potential future at center.