• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A critique of Darnold through 4 games

LinvilleGorge

This is definitely a fair assessment. And I know some dislike calling him “basically a rookie” but I think it is warranted to some degree. He’s shown he has much more potential than what he showed in NY and he’s still really young. Hopefully he can correct some of this with coaching? 

He’s very talented. I was already on board with him from an arm perspective. I didn’t imagine he could be this much of a threat on the ground. I’m willing to be patient. The talent is there and I think he could be our QB moving forward for awhile if he can continue to improve. But there will be some sloppy moments (and sloppy games) going forward. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Brady has only been here for two years though. Yeah, passing gets tougher in the redzone. The field shrinks and the D has a lot less turf to cover.

Hence why I still support Joe Brady being here and believe it will get better.

Doesn't mean it isn't a problem, right now.  No different than you pointing out Darnold's flaw.  Darnold can get better at his flaw (as you said), just as Brady can at his.  Doesn't make it any less of a flaw.  And yeah, I know passing gets tougher.  But compared to other teams?  We are much worse at designing pass plays in the red-zone.  It's blatantly obvious.  And it is why this year we just run Darnold down there.  It isn't all on Brady, but it is certainly something he could do improve on

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, t96 said:

Your points in this thread are valid, but your constant negativity just gets tiresome. I don't see much point in whining about Sam Darnold when we're all already whining about the OL, D shitting the bed, coaching, etc. Are you ever happy? I mean honestly, we rolled to 3-0 and you were still a miserable fug in most of your posts. "3-0 is great but X, Y, Z." I'm enjoying the team play well, today was tough but we'll move on. Better to focus on the positives to take away from this game than get all upset about every tiny little negative that you can nitpick about. But you do you.

I was actually seeing it as progress. The OP has been pretty negative on Darnold seeing no future for him.  Now he's he's pointing to a way Sam COULD work.

If WE want to take that next step and protect Sam this year, then the TT has to get back down 2.61.  This is on more than just Sam.   Its on  WR's and their routes and Brady's scheme.  OL needs to perform better.

I don't know how much of the change in TT is affected by the corner back play.  His 2.95 TT in Houston when they were playing zone was BAD.  Dallas had better corners in tighter coverage, I can see the TT being longer.

It needs to go down, for his own safety.  

Edited by SBBlue
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

far exceeded my expectations.

That's nothing but a back-handed compliment, if I ever heard one.  You've never liked him as our QB, and if I (or anybody else) wanted to take the time, there are many, many posts from you that made that point, that I could produce.

Odd that you'd take the time to start a thread, criticizing one of the bright spots on our roster, after a loss that should be blamed on other causes than Darnold.

I'm not "triggered."  Was that your advance warning to all the Huddlers, not to oppose your bias?  Sounds like the kind of tactic used the last year or two by the liberals who call people racist who oppose their CRT policies.

NO, I'm not calling you a racist.  I hope you and everyone else reading this can understand that.  It's the "trigger warning" I don't like.  It's petty thought control.

If you want to throw a few fractions of seconds metrics out there to justify your criticism, how about considering these  stats that we poor plebes can understand:

Through 4 games, Darnold has accounted for 7 TDs, and has thrown for over 300 yds in the last 3 games.  This despite an OL that has more holes than the colander I drain my pasta through.

I think you're so consumed with justifying your early dislike for obtaining him, that you seize on the most trivial of stats to jump on him after our first loss.  Look in your mirror, and see if I'm not accurate.  If you can be the man it takes to admit that, I will admire and praise you for it.  But if it takes you longer than 2.37 seconds to do it, then I rest my case.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

You want the context narrowed down to the point that it only includes Sam Darnold. When you're looking at all starting QBs and you're ranked in the mid-20s in certain categories it's not just gonna be future HOFers in front of you. Including Teddy's stats from last year was providing context.

No I want stats to coincide with s understanding of context and situation..

Just now, bigdavis said:

That's nothing but a back-handed compliment, if I ever heard one.  You've never liked him as our QB, and if I (or anybody else) wanted to take the time, there are many, many posts from you that made that point, that I could produce.

Odd that you'd take the time to start a thread, criticizing one of the bright spots on our roster, after a loss that should be blamed on other causes than Darnold.

I'm not "triggered."  Was that your advance warning to all the Huddlers, not to oppose your bias?  Sounds like the kind of tactic used the last year or two by the liberals who call people racist who oppose their CRT policies.

NO, I'm not calling you a racist.  I hope you and everyone else reading this can understand that.  It's the "trigger warning" I don't like.  It's petty thought control.

If you want to throw a few fractions of seconds metrics out there to justify your criticism, how about considering these  stats that we poor plebes can understand:

Through 4 games, Darnold has accounted for 7 TDs, and has thrown for over 300 yds in the last 3 games.  This despite an OL that has more holes than the colander I drain my pasta through.

I think you're so consumed with justifying your early dislike for obtaining him, that you seize on the most trivial of stats to jump on him after our first loss.  Look in your mirror, and see if I'm not accurate.  If you can be the man it takes to admit that, I will admire and praise you for it.  But if it takes you longer than 2.37 seconds to do it, then I rest my case.

My specific critiques were that he holds the ball too long when he has time because he's slow to process and he's been inaccurate downfield. Those are the two things he needs to improve on to take his game to the next level. Do you disagree?

I mean he did just get traded a few months ago, have to learn a new offense, shake off the ghosts and still deal with this JAG filled OL. For all he’s been through I give him a 8/10 or a B so far this year. His 2 interceptions today were for multiple reasons. The one to Anderson was bad because he panicked and threw behind him. The route DJ ran was kind of flat on the other and obvious in the situation since the throw was high Diggs was able to jump it fairly easily. Like someone said in the game day thread, a slant there would’ve been better because it hadn’t been run in a short yardage situation yet in the game. Either way he redeemed himself scoring 2 times to end the game and almost getting a chance to get another if not for that damned genius play call on 3rd and short.

1 hour ago, Mage said:

Bro, it was a problem last year.  It is a problem this year.  What other conclusion should I take?

And what?  Kellen Moore's first year as OC was 2019.  Dallas finished 6th in PPG.  Last year they were lighting up the NFL through the air until Dak got hurt.  So what are you talking about man?

Brady's red-zone play-calling and play-designs are 100% an issue right now.  We have the sample size of last year and 4 games this year to draw that conclusion from.  20 games is absolutely enough to say that it is an issue.

I need to see your stats.. I don't remember Dallas being 6th 8n points his 1st season  as OC and with Dak injured they sucked last year on offense.. 

Your opinion is cool.. I just think I want to give this new interation of Panthers offense.. more then 4 games before I form my opinion.. Last year I felt like Teddy's over conservative play and weak arm to throw in tight windows was a issue.. Also not having a big red zone threat.. This year we have alot of good redzone option and a QB willing and able to throw laser so we'll see..

1 hour ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

He has had a full season. No more excuses. In his second season he should be able to scheme TD passes. 

For his denfense,he didn't  have full season of CMC...or Darnold for 4 games...also TE room needs to get way better. All the good to great red zone teams have great TE, RB, WR combo.

One thing I have noticed when Sam gets sacked / pressured is that it's rare he only has one guy in his face.  He's often got a couple, which doesn't really leave him anywhere to go to either avoid the blitz or throw it away.  I can't remember very many "bang bang" fast, blind side sacks.  He usually sees the pressure coming, but because the line looks like a sieve he just can't do anything.

Sam is a good athlete, probably a top 10 *athlete* at the position.  Problem is he isn't a *transcendent* athlete like Cam was.  We can't count on too many Houdini moments.

I'm encouraged by what he's shown so far.  Two years is exactly the right amount of time for us to decide if he's gonna figure it out.  But man, we have got to fix that line this offseason.  I really hope to see some of our rookies later in the year.