• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Cowboys offensive line committed zero penalties

Eazy-E

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

I'm honestly not sure why more teams don't prioritize the OL.  I'm not going to pass judgement on the Fitt+Rhule combo just yet because we had so many holes this offseason, but if it doesn't become their main priority...

I mean I know we were big on CJ and the move makes sense, but it's hard not to feel like the OL is getting neglected relative to DL and CB. 

I grew up (as a football fan) hearing that the “Big Uglies” were the most important players, along with the QB, on the offense.  

Where the oline goes, so goes the offense.  As I said before, I watched all four of our HOFers (college and PROs) play, also more than a few that were elite (Boselli) for their franchises.  All four were drafted at the very top of the draft.  

What has changed, particularly since the focus on offense has shifted from defense?

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not so sure they don't.

With the number of teams now and the schemes/talent at the college level not being what they used to, building a dominant line is harder than It used to be.

That's certainly possible. I suppose my perspective is bias from so long where it really has felt like we haven't prioritized the OL in a serious way for 5 or 6 years.

8 minutes ago, bigdavis said:

Your points are valid, but keep in mind we did (Sam did) put up 28 on those guys, despite all the bad calls, despite a line made of swiss cheese.  That should win us most games.  They must do more, but I don't think it's entirely accurate to imply they're not "going."  It's early in the season, and our Offense, without CMC, is still a work in progress.

The better teams in the league have been putting up around 30 and some 40. The Cowboys did the week before. If we want to compete for a playoff berth or even a winning season we are going to have to find a way to get there. The protection for Sam could be better but the deep ball has to present itself soon bc 20ish is enough for bad or mediocre teams but teams like the Cards and Bills for example can and will lay it on us.

Edited by frankw

12 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I don't mean this just about the Panthers, either.  There doesn't seem to be any consistency in what is and isn't a hold anymore.

The inconsistency of which you speak stems from the subjectivity of it all.  Not reviewable, entirely dependent on the vision (or whim, or bias) of the ref, yet carrying a penalty twice that of a procedure, or offsides.

I don't know WHAT, if anything, can be done about it, other than having the refs be mindful of OH calls getting out of balance in any one game.  They could tally up how many went where at halftime, and even it out accordingly.  It's not whether there's Holding on any one play; there almost always is.  Then nobody could say they got hosed -- like we did.

10 hours ago, Eazy-E said:

Zero, zilch, nada. No holding, no hands to the face, no false starts, nothing.

It was pretty clear to Dallas through the first quarter that the refs were going to let them get away with anything they wanted. We were obviously screwed when Chinn clobbered Schultz and caused him to fumble 5 ft from the ref and somehow they didn't see the ball flopping around down by his knees.

Going back and watching the highlights, on almost every one of Dak's scrambles and Zeke's big runs, at least one of our defensive linemen were getting absolutely mugged.

I hate complaining about the officiating after a loss but it was pretty clear the fix was in a quarter into the game. Also doesn't it seem kind of strange that Dallas held the league leaders in sacks to a goose egg without committing a single penalty? 

fug the NFL.

The officials were horrendous and if Im Tepper I am throwing every available replay, analytic at the NFL to complain about it. There are always plays they submit to the NFL that fans can’t really see. Obvious holds on the sidelines, PI, etc. Combine those typical cuts with the obvious stuff that the refs missed and I’m going to say the FO has a highlight reel to complain about. How do you fumble twice..including one with a perfect form tackle and not lose the ball? If anything the refs should have been looking at the Chinn hit and swallowing their whistle from the missed call the play before. 

1 hour ago, bigdavis said:

The inconsistency of which you speak stems from the subjectivity of it all.  Not reviewable, entirely dependent on the vision (or whim, or bias) of the ref, yet carrying a penalty twice that of a procedure, or offsides.

I don't know WHAT, if anything, can be done about it, other than having the refs be mindful of OH calls getting out of balance in any one game.  They could tally up how many went where at halftime, and even it out accordingly.  It's not whether there's Holding on any one play; there almost always is.  Then nobody could say they got hosed -- like we did.

I don't know what can be done but it's ridiculous how it is handled now.  If it is that subjective they should change the rules somehow.  I would rather holding just be legal within some limits than this garbage.

The fumble affected the trajectory of the game. Other no-calls including holding and diving at QBs legs also didn't help. Would we have won if they called a fair game? No one knows or will know. But you can bet it made it a lot easier on Dallas. That can't be argued. We were robbed on plenty of plays.

I think the overall defensive performance we've seen so far this year shows why going all defense for basically the first two drafts was the right call. We're at a point now where they can go all in on offensive line and once we rebuild that, we'll be able to hang against anyone. 

3 of 5 of their linemen are the top rated linemen in the league. You get a lot more calls your way when you're already really, really good. Biases form for everyone, including refs, and I'm sure it's just laziness(and probably a little favoritism) that makes them give Dallas' line the benefit of the doubt. When there's so much going on out there, I'm sure they look for shortcuts and zero in on areas they haven't already formed opinions on. Until we have AI refereeing we're going to have to live with biased, flawed humans making subjective calls on objective things. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, 1usctrojan said:

I grew up (as a football fan) hearing that the “Big Uglies” were the most important players, along with the QB, on the offense.  

Where the oline goes, so goes the offense.  As I said before, I watched all four of our HOFers (college and PROs) play, also more than a few that were elite (Boselli) for their franchises.  All four were drafted at the very top of the draft.  

What has changed, particularly since the focus on offense has shifted from defense?

The vast majority of college teams don't run a pro style offense.  They run read option, run and shoot, versions of Air Coryell, spread, and pistol formations where the offensive lineman don't really learn to block in a traditional way.  The o-linemen coming in from these college programs don't really know how to hold blocks for more than 2-3 seconds.  Even teams that run a modified West Coast offense don't have o-linemen holding blocks and providing "traditional" pass protection.

Some college teams do run more of a pro type offense, especially when they have an elite passing QB.  Stanford for example ran a pro style offense when Luck was there....they also ran a smash mouth running game too.  Wisconsin is also a team that used to run a smash mouth type of offense, but more and more college teams just don't play offenses that develop "old school" hog mollies.  Alabama seems to have produced some recently....I think we have one of their O-lineman that has been inactive I guess because he's a rookie??

Anyways that's why you don't see as many hog mollies these days.

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

The vast majority of college teams don't run a pro style offense.  They run read option, run and shoot, versions of Air Coryell, spread, and pistol formations where the offensive lineman don't really learn to block in a traditional way.  The o-linemen coming in from these college programs don't really know how to hold blocks for more than 2-3 seconds.  Even teams that run a modified West Coast offense don't have o-linemen holding blocks and providing "traditional" pass protection.

Some college teams do run more of a pro type offense, especially when they have an elite passing QB.  Stanford for example ran a pro style offense when Luck was there....they also ran a smash mouth running game too.  Wisconsin is also a team that used to run a smash mouth type of offense, but more and more college teams just don't play offenses that develop "old school" hog mollies.  Alabama seems to have produced some recently....I think we have one of their O-lineman that has been inactive I guess because he's a rookie??

Anyways that's why you don't see as many hog mollies these days.

I think we’re (SC) going back to our pro style, we’re just not a spread, air raid tradition.  We’re sick of it.

Hopefully the slate is wiped clean with new coaching staff. 

• Beer 1