• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers WRs had the 6th most catchable drops by a team the last decade

ncfan

8 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I wouldn't call myself on the Darnold bandwagon. I don't think he is the answer here and that is depressing.  And I think that despite also recognizing that a historically bad WR performance and terrible playcalls are not doing him favors.

If he can find a way to play like he did in the 4th quarter consistently, it'd be a different story.  But he is who he is, and he isn't our long-term answer at QB.

He has never been consistent in his entire career. Even without a historically bad WR performance, his warts are pretty obvious at this juncture. We aren't seeing much of anything different. He still struggles even with a clean pocket, sometimes even more than when he is pressured. 

He just isn't the guy. Unfortunately for all of us, we didn't even set him up to where we saw him fail on his own accord, we gave him one of the worst OL's in the league. 

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't know what is up with Robby but something clearly is. 

Yesterday wasn't a great example, as the drops were EVERYWHERE. It was crazy. Like someone put a hex on the ball.

I will be curious to see if that was just a bad game by the team or if there is something else going on.

I know a commentator joked about gloves but maybe it was that?

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but he always looks like that. 

I can't tell if he is specifically in a funk or it is a larger issue with Darnold or the offense. I have a suspicion from yesterday's game but I will see how it looks moving forward.

If I got away from the Jets, Darnold, and the rest of that dumpster fire, I'd be a little dejected for my new team to sign up for the same terrible QB play. He did seemingly have a better attitude last year, but unlike super fans I don't try and guess everything from a player's emotions the three or four times the camera lands on them a game. Think about this though. Imagine those years in New York. He's getting catches, touches, and yards, but he knows they aren't winning. Then you get a new fresh start for a year. Then that QB shows up and starts doing the same thing. On top of that, your team is tied to him for the duration of your deal. I'd be out right pouting cause most careers aren't long. 

4 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

If I got away from the Jets, Darnold, and the rest of that dumpster fire, I'd be a little dejected for my new team to sign up for the same terrible QB play. He did seemingly have a better attitude last year, but unlike super fans I don't try and guess everything from a player's emotions the three or four times the camera lands on them a game. Think about this though. Imagine those years in New York. He's getting catches, touches, and yards, but he knows they aren't winning. Then you get a new fresh start for a year. Then that QB shows up and starts doing the same thing. On top of that, your team is tied to him for the duration of your deal. I'd be out right pouting cause most careers aren't long. 

Well, he did ink that deal AFTER the Darnold trade, so it isn't like he didn't have the option of leaving.

I think there is something clearly going on because his mistakes are very clearly mental.

4 minutes ago, t96 said:

It has been with a few of these guys... Robby, Chuba

Robby doesn't normally drop passes. In 2018 on, Robby's drop percentage is lower than D.J.'s. Now this year, of course yesterday skews the stats in Moore's favor more than likely, but they've yet to be updated.

8 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

The man should be thankful to have been overpaid when he shouldn't have been a priority. More pressing  roster holes and we drafted two WRs.

Rhule took care of his Temple guy. Only thing that makes sense.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Robby doesn't normally drop passes. In 2018 on, Robby's drop percentage is lower than D.J.'s. Now this year, of course yesterday skews the stats in Moore's favor more than likely, but they've yet to be updated.

I feel DJ has trended upward in that category (as you'd expect a player to do). Early on he seem very unreliable.

1 hour ago, PootieNunu said:

Darnold is 10th in the league with the number of on target throws. 63% on target, in the same area with guys like Carr, Mahommes, and Mayfield.

30 bad throws on the season which is right in the middle of NFL QBs.

Nice stat, I wouldn't have guessed that.

31 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The level of deja vu is pretty crazy too. "It isn't Teddy's fault! It's *insert other unit/coaches*'s fault! Teddy can't do it all!"

Na that's false. Everyone knew Teddy was not throwing the ball down field or scoring in the redzone. He was being called Teddy Checkdown for a reason. He barely made any plays at all negative or positive.

53 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I find it hilarious that people are still on the Darnold bandwagon. 

Then again, it took almost 3/4 of the 2020 season for the majority of the Huddle to see the obvious with Teddy. 

The level of deja vu is pretty crazy too. "It isn't Teddy's fault! It's *insert other unit/coaches*'s fault! Teddy can't do it all!"

Fast forward to late season, "WHY ARE WE EVEN STARTING TEDDY??!! PUT IN PJ OR WILL GRIER AND SEE WHAT WE HAVE!!"

I said when Darnold was traded, that he should get the chance he has been given without anyone looking over his shoulder ready to take his spot. That's happened, and he appears to be just who he was in NY and at USC. Ride with him the rest of the season, because if things keep going like they have the last three games the Panthers will have a higher pick(top 10) pick. Fitt will probably use that to trade down and recoup some of the picks he has traded away.

Sadly, this all means the Panthers will be back on the QB hunt next offseason once more. Hopefully, they don't make a panic move and give up a lot of capital to try and fix that mistake. Build the Oline and rest of the team, then go all in on a rookie like the Chiefs did.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1