• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joel Klatt heard Rhule may not be staying in the NFL, could be eyeing position at Penn State

NeederNodder

He thought he could outsmart the NFL with advanced analytics and rah-rah speech former sub-par players, particularly QBs, to relevancy and signing players who are “versatile” but not good was an adequate approach to fixing the oline. Plus much more.

With that said, very, very, very few coaches in the NFL are winners without elite QBs. The only coaches who are at this moment (Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin) are established coaches in the league who had elite/HOF QB play. 

I imagine we would be singing a different tune about Rhule if he was afforded the luxury of having a Ferrari at QB and not a Honda. 

Edited by USDepartmentOfSavagery
  • Beer 2

Let me see here:

Ruhle’s people put out a feeler to Some people connected to PSU and it made it way to Klatt. 

Or, Ruhle told Klatt directly. Would be interesting to see if they know each other or have a relationship. I don’t have time to look. 

But this is good news for us. It definitely has legs. If Franklin leaves (he will) and PSU wants Ruhle I bet he quits. Best case scenario for all parties involved. Ruhle would be able to leave on his own terms and it would be done gracefully. I’m sure Tepper would give some presser about how “he had to let Ruhle go home, blah blah blah” and I’m sure Penn state has the $$$ to make whatever contract issues go away with the Panthers. 

If you are out on Ruhle and his staff of donkey brained college coaches like I am - this is fantastic news. We can probably start collecting names of guys who could be on the radar to replace him. 

• Pie 4

7 minutes ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

He thought he could outsmart the NFL with advanced analytics and rah-rah speech former sub-par players, particularly QBs, to relevancy and signing players who are “versatile” but not good was an adequate approach to fixing the oline. Plus much more.

With that said, very, very, very few coaches in the NFL are winners without elite QBs. The only coaches who are at this moment (Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin) are established coaches in the league who had elite/HOF QB play. 

I imagine we would be singing a different tune about Rhule if he was afforded the luxury of having a Ferrari at QB and not a Honda. 

NFL has eaten up and spit out a helluva lot better college coaches than Ruhle. Spurrier, Saban, Bill O’Brien, etc the list goes on 

• Pie 1

As a Penn State alum and former player under Joe Paterno, I could see Rhule bolting for that job (if it opened up).  He could always say "it's the only job I would have left the NFL for."   

I'd like to see Rhule recover and succeed here.  But I think he may be in over his head.  He seems more like a rah-rah college guy. 

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

NFL has eaten up and spit out a helluva lot better college coaches than Ruhle. Spurrier, Saban, Bill O’Brien, etc the list goes on 

Kelly, Harbaugh.   Doubt Urban last long at all. 

some guys are just suited for college.  Some for the pros.  

7 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

As a Penn State alum and former player under Joe Paterno, I could see Rhule bolting for that job (if it opened up).  He could always say "it's the only job I would have left the NFL for."   

I'd like to see Rhule recover and succeed here.  But I think he may be in over his head.  He seems more like a rah-rah college guy. 

Is he a rah rah guy? That’s what I can’t figure out. 

Dabo is my definition of rah rah college guy.  Dabo is like half preacher, half parent, half hype man.   

• Pie 2