• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is this the best panthers secondary ever?

micnificent28

It is by far the most talented:

• Stephon Gilmore
  • Jeremy Chinn
  • Donte Jackson
  • AJ Bouye
  • CJ Henderson

Plus... we've got solid depth! There's young guys that are developing:

• Keith Taylor Jr
  • Stantley Thomas-Oliver III
  • Kenny Robinson

Some surprising contributors that have shown to not only stick to the roster, but perform on the field:

• Sean Chandler
  • Sam Franklin Jr
  • Myles Hartsfield

And finally, rounded out with the presence of two veterans in Rashaan Melvin and Juston Burris.

Burris, Melvin, and Pride Jr are likely gone while STO3, Hartsfield, Chandler, Franklin, and Robinson have a strong chance of being on the bubble vs. any incoming competition. I wouldn't mind spending one of those day 3 picks on a S + CB, while going out and signing the same to compete. Churn the bottom of that roster to see if we can find diamonds while we're stocked with talent.

I can't help also but wonder if Fitterer is approaching draft picks similar to the Rams in that he'll gladly give up picks for known quality players that can produce in the NFL. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Defense has done incredibly well minus a few hiccups. Given the offense goes 3 and out every other drove and we aren't giving up 30 a he really says a lot. The secondary is a huge part of that. If we had a decent MLB and the secondary was healthy it would be fun to watch. 

Yea, I’d say pretty easily. We’ve never really had two legit really good corners. We have three now, four when Horn gets back. We might have been better overall at safety before, but I think Chinn is the best second year safety we’ve ever had and will likely be the best by the time he’s done. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I would think so.  Norman was a good playmaker but he's not in the same league as Gilmore, nor did he have the talent that Horn has. Chris Gamble is the only one was close. We will have a monster secondary when Jayce comes back. 

Donte Jackson is no slouch either and deserves to be called a #1 on most teams.

Edited by OneBadCat
  • Beer 1

I think it is far and away the most talented secondary we have had, and that is despite being weak at safety imo. Really remarkable how good our corners are. If Henderson and Taylor both develop we should have some crazy flexibility and probably some very nice trade capital depending on Jackson and Gilmore.

• Beer 1

Even at his age Gilmore is one of the best to ever put on a Panthers uni at CB. Jaycee looked like a stud before his injury. Donte is having his best year ever and looks like a legit starting CB. AJ Bouyee has been one of the best NBs in the league this year. 

I haven't even mentioned CJ Henderson and Taylor who both are young with a lot of promise. 

Outside of Minter and Chris Harris, I'd say Chinn is the best SS we've ever trotted out. 

FS is kind of meh admittedly but when have we EVER had a good FS? 

• Beer 1