• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Where is this 'win now' mentality coming from?

Ivan The Awesome

We're a half game out the playoffs with the worst starting quarterback in football. If passing was just a weakness instead of a black hole then where does that leave the team? I don't blame those guys for thinking they can win now with Cam. We're already missing draft picks so winning doesn't hurt us as much anyway.

They were failing and it's been years since this was a winning team. It was showing in the stands and in GameDay sales. The Darnold move imploded on them. 

I don't know how this all came to be but at this point I hope this offseason and first half of the season was a huge learning experience for them all and today marks a giant change in direction for the better.

As far as thr win now mentality, I have a feeling Rhule picked that up from Hurney. He was all about that life. I swear the 5 year rebuild was just a CYA move that wasn't the SOP behind the scenes.

11 minutes ago, onmyown said:

so what people seem to leave out is that cam wanted ‘commitment’. after two years of injury and concerns about the shoulder.

likely a 4/5 year 120+ million contract. obviously this was risky and the Panthers weren’t going to do it. and cam wasn’t going to play out his last year. unless his ‘just want a little commitment’ post during contract talks meant the opposite.

so Cam walked, betting on himself in FA only to find the rest of the NFL also had these concerns. it backfired and he signed for a ridiculous vet min, no commitment. cam lost.

meanwhile, Tepper and co signed a bunch of garbage and wasted time. they also lost.

so i feel like both cam and the Panthers went in a circle because both were stubborn in different ways.

and now we are back to what the Panthers most likely always wanted, a prove it 1 year from cam.

irony

You Got It Yes GIF by NETFLIX

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

8 minutes ago, onmyown said:

so what people seem to leave out is that cam wanted ‘commitment’. after two years of injury and concerns about the shoulder.

likely a 4/5 year 120+ million contract. obviously this was risky and the Panthers weren’t going to do it. and cam wasn’t going to play out his last year. unless his ‘just want a little commitment’ post during contract talks meant the opposite.

so Cam walked, betting on himself in FA only to find the rest of the NFL also had these concerns. it backfired and he signed for a ridiculous vet min, no commitment. cam lost.

meanwhile, Tepper and co signed a bunch of garbage and wasted time. they also lost.

so i feel like both cam and the Panthers went in a circle because both were stubborn in different ways.

and now we are back to what the Panthers most likely always wanted, a prove it 1 year from cam.

irony

Very valid points. I was never upset with them moving on from Cam and saving $20 million. They did it too late in the offseason (probably wanted to see if they could sign a decent QB first) and kind of screwed Cam over in signing on a new team. The stupidity comes with the Teddy contract and picking up Sam’s fifth year. We should have kept Teddy and drafted Fields to learn behind him. I know hindsight makes it easy to say these things, but half of this board was wanting something similar and concerned about the whole Darnold deal…

• Pie 1
  • Beer 4

4 minutes ago, BlueOnBlack said:

Where do you think it's coming from? The richest owner in the NFL, who is shrewdly pretending not to meddle at all, but meanwhile? Is micromanaging the entire thing, too to bottom. Jerry Jones, sans the press conferences and sports radio appearances.

This is legitimately the first time he's meddled. He took a backseat and gave the keys to the whole operation to Rhule and that's why we're in this mess. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, onmyown said:

irony

Both sides were wrong.

Both have failed without the other.

Cam asked for and given his play, was NOT worth 100+ million extension he dearly wanted. Cam got humbled by the lack of attention and money he got after the panthers wavied him.

Rhule fuged up with his choices of 2 gloves and Ginger Cringer. Just awful at even finding/drafting any starting QBs and BACKUPS as well.

Should have played out the original contract and gone form there. Rhule thinking he has 900IQ QB skills and Cam wanting more when the league viewed him as vet minimum player. Took Tepper to crush both their huge egos.  

7 minutes ago, BlueOnBlack said:

Where do you think it's coming from? The richest owner in the NFL, who is shrewdly pretending not to meddle at all, but meanwhile? Is micromanaging the entire thing, too to bottom. Jerry Jones, sans the press conferences and sports radio appearances.

I know this, looking out of the owners box and seeing red, green, gray Laundry take over your home??? It had to make a impact. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

First off. I love Cam, glad he is back, let's all keep jerking off to that. 

Anyway, In the presses from Rhule and Fitterer, both of them have this win now mentality. When we all know that this team is not equipped to do that. This team is a whole ass o-line away from being competitive. Yes that Defense is fantastic but nothing is going to mask the turnstiles we have for offensive linemen. Not even Cam. 

This team is literally back to square one. You get rid of Cam because of 'health' issues, bring in Teddy Asswater, then hitch your wagon on the Ghost train and now go back to your Ex because it's what you know. 

I know people are happy but fug I am pissed off that they COULD HAVE AVOIDED ALL THIS poo IF THEY KEPT CAM fuging NEWTON IN THE FIRST PLACE AND GAVE HIM A SHOT!!! Now you're down several picks that you need to fix this shitty line. And you expect Cam to make a something out of this pile of dog poo you call an offensive line? 

The fug am I missing here?

...ur missing a billionaires brass balls and ego... we couldnt pay Cam what he was asking for...

Edited by Pimpdaddy

5 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Both sides were wrong.

Both have failed without the other.

Cam asked for and given his play, was NOT worth 100+ million extension he dearly wanted. Cam got humbled by the lack of attention and money he got after the panthers wavied him.

Rhule fuged up with his choices of 2 gloves and Ginger Cringer. Just awful at even finding/drafting any starting QBs and BACKUPS as well.

Should have played out the original contract and gone form there. Rhule thinking he has 900IQ QB skills and Cam wanting more when the league viewed him as vet minimum player. Took Tepper to crush both their huge egos.  

I don’t think I we can lump Teddy and Sam as the same type mistakes. 

I mean what they did going all in on Sam is a completely different level than the Teddy thing IMO.  Teddy helped get the new system installed and running in a COVID world.   He was at least competent.  Team always competitive. We probably have a winning season right now with him still here.   

The all in on Sam thing really isn’t forgivable in the way Teddy was.   Just mind boggling what they were thinking there. 

• Pie 1