• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per Schefter: Panthers operating as if Darnold will miss the season

ImaginaryKev

3 minutes ago, Pimpdaddy said:

....it seems like they have no forethought or reasoning ability of future outcomes...just sling it and let the cards fall where they may.... to a degree im not worried about the money but at some point it will affect the dead money and our ability to pay players we want. I'm more pissed about losing picks...thats the motor that drives the rebuild.

I wouldn’t worry about losing the picks. We probably would’ve used them to draft another long snapper or an o-lineman who can’t beat out John Miller or Dennis Daley. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 3

8 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Agreed.  

I mean...he's got 18 million (a bit less after Taxes but still a hell of a lot) coming his way next year so if I were him, I'd start making plans for a post-career life.  

Yep. Sam seems like a legit good dude. He can accomplish great things with the money that football has provided him, but he's not going to accomplish great things on the football field.

• Beer 5

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. Sam seems like a legit good dude. He can accomplish great things with the money that football has provided him, but he's not going to accomplish great things on the football field.

I hope for nothing but good health (provided that Rhule didn't further wreck him with that idiotic decision to play him against New England) going forward for him and his family. 

Now....about this Cam Newton fellow... 😎

Sam probably needs to go but that decision should be left up to Fit.

If Cam works out, and by that I mean he manages to lead us to the playoffs this year, Rhule is going to be the poster child for why you don’t give college coaches full control over an NFL organization.

One term is synonymous with college coaches, control freak. Over the past 10 years we’ve seen Greg Schiano, Doug Marrone, Chip Kelly, Bill O’Brien, and now Matt Rhule run NFL franchises into the ground because they requested full control over their new NFL team..

- It’s been noted that Greg Schiano’s need for control was so bad that he wanted to be in charge of the thermostat in team meetings…

- Marcel Dareus stated that Doug Marrone was anal-retentive and treated the entire Bills team like children…

- Multiple Eagles players stressed that Kelly wanted players to dress, act, and talk exactly how he wanted…

- Bill O’Brien needed control so bad that he made the Texans name him the head coach and general manager…

I’m sure we’ll hear some stories about Rhule once his time is up but for now we’re stuck pondering what could have been if Rhule didn’t take us on some circle of life trip (Newton -> Bridgewater -> Darnold -> Newton).

• Pie 4

44 minutes ago, Wanderlai said:

First off same sucks and was a huge mistake. Now do Panthers fans really think Cam is the answer to a rebuild? All I see is hitting the panic button...again and making draft position worse just like they did signing Teddy. This franchise is a wreck. 

Yeah, signing Cam was a panic move and had nothing to do with correcting a "wrong" like a lot of fans think. It was more a business and PR move than a football move. And it's worked for them. People are saying they'll buy tickets and go to the games again. It also got the Panthers a lot of good press. It doesn't change the Oline and them being one of the worst units the Panthers have ever fielded nor that this is a 6-9 win team even with Cam. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

42 minutes ago, Pimpdaddy said:

....it seems like they have no forethought or reasoning ability of future outcomes...just sling it and let the cards fall where they may.... to a degree im not worried about the money but at some point it will affect the dead money and our ability to pay players we want. I'm more pissed about losing picks...thats the motor that drives the rebuild.

What rebuild? They're in win now mode with a team that can't win now. This will probably end up worse for the Panthers than when the Hornets cut their rebuild short years ago by signing Big Al and thinking him and a young Kemba were enough.

2 hours ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I mean Cam was only gonna cost them 20 mil that year they cut him for Teddy. They should've just kept him and looked for an option in the draft. Fields should he the QB of the future here but luckily good QBs are flooding the league now.

Gonna be interesting to see what they do at the position this off-season bc they could take a guy now or let Cam ride next year and draft a QB then. Maybe that Alabama QB will be eligible by then, who knows. 

We should hold onto Cam until we can make a run at Arch Manning in 3 or 4 years. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, ImaginaryKev said:

That 10 mil contract was a big apology to Cam. 

If he plays better than expected I'd let him ride out next year, that way the team could do a whole offensive line draft, then find the rookie QB in 2023. No idea who the prospects are but I'm sure there will be some.

Plus it'd be fantastic to see Cam here as the undisputed starter again after the way some folks on this board were trashing him before this signing 

THIS

• Beer 1

57 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Agreed.  

I mean...he's got 18 million (a bit less after Taxes but still a hell of a lot) coming his way next year so if I were him, I'd start making plans for a post-career life.  

If I were him I'd do whatever it took to stay in the NFL then go to Canada if I can't find a team and try and pull a Flutie or Warren Moon.

I have a hard time believing we can do more than trade a pick for someone to take him off our hands. I just can't see a team wanting him to even be a backup.

I'm ready to just eat his cap at this point. Can we June 1st a 5th year option?

As far as the offseason, crap had better change drastically. This last one was a complete failure on soooooo many levels.

• Pie 1