• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tough medicine to swallow

Khyber53

48 minutes ago, PantherGuy said:

That's a great point. Think back to 2015. The game at NYG. Odell is focused more on trying to piss off JNo than playing. JNo starts off retaliating but soon their bullshit is overshadowing the game. Cam, Luke, TD, Greg, etc step in and tell JNo to ignore it from now on. He mostly does. Obviously the situation was a bit different, but your point stands that JNo had multiple guys to rein him in. Robby clearly didn't. Everyone, including Sam, basically just ignored his outburst.

I don't think anyone ignored it. I think everyone decided not to get involved. That's how little togetherness there was on the team. The fanbase called Robby out.

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Rhule and Co. swallowed a lot of pride last week and brought Cam back. This was not their plan going into the season and probably wasn't even close to their radar screens before it was apparent that Darnold could NOT be sent out there again, because of injury.

Let that sink in a bit.

If Sam hadn't been hurt again and been obviously unable to play, we'd have trotted him out again against the Cardinals. On Monday evening after Sam's MRI, there must have been the start of a very difficult conversation that carried over into Tuesday and probably early Wednesday morning. On Thursday the decision was implemented, the appropriate calls had been made (including the most important one between Rhule and Cam) and a deal was very quickly signed.

Whoever pushed for Rhule to accept the change and go after Cam did not just the right thing, but offered Rhule a second chance right then and there as well as a huge learning moment. Rhule was apparently wise enough to take it. 

Let's make no bones about it, had we kept going the direction the team was, Rhule's days were numbered here. Brady would probably be pushed onto his own sword first and then Rhule would follow... contract be damned. His desire to hold onto the idea of Darnold and Walker as QBs was not playing out and was killing the team and the fanbase. In the off season, Darnold had been a cute, smart gamble but when it quit paying out it put a lot of blood in the water. Any other advances made by the team were completely swallowed up by how bad the QB situation was.

Gosh, even I wanted it to work out for Sam, but there was just no doubt in even the most ardent supporters minds that the kid was nowhere near starting QB capable -- those ghosts were real and they were running all through his house. He couldn't read the defense, he couldn't work with the line (which was atrocious) and he didn't have the leadership skills to make his linemen or receivers accountable for their mistakes. It was a train wreck, week after week. 

And through all this, Rhule may have learned one of the most important things that makes the NFL and college football different -- star power at the right position can elevate the entire team. On the defense we've seen Shaq Thompson's star rise along with the leadership he provides there (there's no doubt after seeing them play when he was out) -- he elevates that unit. On offense, there were some excellent players but there wasn't that person in charge who could bring the power levels up by force of personality and actions. Cam, whether he has a noodle arm or not, has three truckloads of charisma and a massive amount of experience putting that to use. 

So, now Matt Rhule may understand that mojo makes the difference in the right hands. And Rhule had to eat some crow to learn that. If he's the guy  we thought he was, then Rhule will grow from this and become a better coach. Tough medicine to swallow, but it might just cure what ails us.

Lord, I sure hope so.

I honestly think Tepper stepped in and handle this. He wanted to humble Matt among many others ideas that came with having Cam back. Rhule has made 1,2,3 or even 4 god awful QB decisions, maybe more that the public dont know. The ones we do.......its should not be part of ANY responsibilities to find QB or any players if these are the results. Super set-backs over and over. I honestly feel Tepper moved some more to the Finesser/Dan/Scouts plate, or he needs too. 

Fixing the D, form a out-sider view feels like Phil Snow played a big role. Need another "phil Snow" on O..... Rhule stay talking in meetings or whatever he does well....

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I honestly think Tepper stepped in and handle this. He wanted to humble Matt among many others ideas that came with having Cam back. Rhule has made 1,2,3 or even 4 god awful QB decisions, maybe more that the public dont know. The ones we do.......its should not be part of ANY responsibilities to find QB or any players if these are the results. Super set-backs over and over. I honestly feel Tepper moved some more to the Finesser/Dan/Scouts plate, or he needs too. 

Fixing the D, form a out-sider view feels like Phil Snow played a big role. Need another "phil Snow" on O..... Rhule stay talking in meetings or whatever he does well....

he initially tried to trade for stafford. Stafford now showing his true colors in LA.

Just now, RumHam said:

he initially tried to trade for stafford. Stafford now showing his true colors in LA.

Yea I like Stanford waaay more than others, still Stafford is a bad fit for other reasons...forget he didnt want to play here. Hes older, had numorues injuries, and panthers OL would have gotten him more injuries. 1st and _____ for that is again- risky......(even tho everything is a risk). He also didnt give Stafford or his people reasonS to think this team was ready for good vet QB either..

51 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

It was also said that before any decisions were made Rhule and Cam had a lengthy conversation by telephone to hash things out.

It has also been mentioned that Rhule was the first one to reach out to Cam. Cam said so himself that he got a call from Rhule. Not sure if it was Rhule’s idea or not, but I bet he was looking for new options at the QB spot.

• Pie 2

I don't get the angst towards Tepper, Rhule, Fitter or whoever else we're blaming on the QB situation. The bottom line is this FO wants to friggin win, they want to win now and they'll do whatever it takes. They had a plan. The plan wasn't working out, so these MOFOs turned over every rock they could find to fix it. It didn't take the entire season. It didn't take 2 or 3 seasons. It took about 5 games. This is refreshing to me as past regimes just stuck with the "we're thinking long-term" BS that never came to fruition. 

Now I will say the Paridis experiment needs to be over. Find out if that cat can play OG or something and be a swing backup until his contract expires - or we can cut him. Fix LT and stop throwing crap at the wall. Take your time and carefully find the future QB. We can roll with Cam until that happens. That should have always been the answer. 

• Pie 1

On 11/16/2021 at 5:20 PM, CRA said:

I think Tepper told Rhule Cam would be the QB to finish the season.  That’s what happened.  

all this talk by Rhule that Tepper has nothing to do with anything is bunk.  

and we shouldn’t let the fact Cam returned erase the horrific failure of Rhule at the QB position.  

I am not sure who's idea it was to let Cam go and start this merry-go-round we have at QB now.  There is no one in their right mind going to believe that TB5 or Darnold are better options that Cam.  As things unfold I think the decision was all Rhule.  He wanted to start fresh, which I can understand, with his own QB.  Many of us thought it was a stupid move and nearly 80 million dollars later we are fixing what could have been money we could have used on another position,  Say an Offensive Line.

There are very few times in life you are able to right a wrong.  Cam coming home is not only making a wrong right but the best move to get us a chance to make 2022 special.

Someone said it earlier.  If this team somehow sneaks into the playoffs.  I would not be the team that would want to face us.  We are going to be a tough out.

• Pie 1