• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tough medicine to swallow

Khyber53

4 minutes ago, t96 said:

I'm not convinced about Darnold's "injury." I think the team was fed up with his play and went looking for something. I don't doubt he has an injury, but I do doubt that it's one keeping him out a month+ if he had been playing well before it. In other words, I don't think it took an injury for this front office to decide to try out Cam and go in a different position at QB. I think they had their mind made up independent of the injury to Sam.

That would be a pretty cowardly move, IMO. Don't get me wrong, glad it ended up that way but that would be pretty chickenshit.

• Pie 2

I think we're giving him too much credit. He's not doing it to admit he's wrong, he's doing it to keep his job. 

I know Tepper committed a ton of money to Rhule but another losing season, especially with a top 3 defense in the NFL? If we had rolled with PJ and Darnold and Rhule was somehow kept, then next season would have been the hottest of seats. 

Rhule is smart enough to know to get to the playoffs now and cool the seat a bit while not wasting potentially the best defense we've had in decades

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I think Tepper told Rhule Cam would be the QB to finish the season.  That’s what happened.  

all this talk by Rhule that Tepper has nothing to do with anything is bunk.  

and we shouldn’t let the fact Cam returned erase the horrific failure of Rhule at the QB position.  

• Pie 6
  • Beer 3

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That would be a pretty cowardly move, IMO. Don't get me wrong, glad it ended up that way but that would be pretty chickenshit.

It happens all the time in sports, all these guys are banged up and if you went and did MRIs and scans on all these guys you'll find some things. Especially other sports where teams get cap relief for guys who are injured. It's a business after all, and one way to deal with a potential distraction when moving on from and replacing a starting QB mid-season is to get him away from the team. Only way to do that with Sam was to find this injury.

I mean, Sam had a shoulder issue going into the Pats game and still played the entire game despite throwing multiple terrible picks and putting up no points, and there was no noticeable aggravation of the injury or really any big hits on him in that game. Does anyone really think if he had been playing lights out and we had a winning record that the team would put it out there immediately that he "may" be done for the season? Initial timeline reported was a few weeks, then suddenly he "may" be out for the year? All the information out there is very deliberate by the team. Sam will almost certainly never play another down for the Panthers, and it's not because of a season ending injury.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, t96 said:

I'm not convinced about Darnold's "injury." I think the team was fed up with his play and went looking for something. I don't doubt he has an injury, but I do doubt that it's one keeping him out a month+ if he had been playing well before it. In other words, I don't think it took an injury for this front office to decide to try out Cam and go in a different position at QB. I think they had their mind made up independent of the injury to Sam.

If he had been playing well, we wouldn't have needed another QB. 

7 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think Tepper told Rhule Cam would be the QB to finish the season.  That’s what happened.  

all this talk by Rhule that Tepper has nothing to do with anything is bunk.  

and we shouldn’t let the fact Cam returned erase the horrific failure of Rhule at the QB position.  

This is very possible but also very troubling. Meddling owners are a huge issue and Tepper is no different. I understand we're all fans of the Cam move, it made sense and was a good move this time even if it doesn't save our season. But if it was Tepper making the call that does not bode well at all for this team's future.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

As much as Rhule and the coaching staff says this came to fruition because they sat down and had a tough conversation, I don't believe. I believe Tepper just stepped in and put his foot down and told them to get their poo together. Rhule AVOIDED Cam like the plague.. I have a hard time believe they swallowed their pride as much as they give themselves credit for because at the end of the day Tepper pays their checks and he was not happy. So I give credit to Tepper mostly. 

• Beer 3