• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So when do we see the article come out that Joe Brady went back and watched film of Cam Newton in Mike Shula's offense to find plays for him?

hepcat

I'm waiting patiently for the article that says Joe Brady went back and watched film of Cam in his time on the Panthers in the past. Maybe it is published by the team itself, maybe published by Joe Person at the Athletic, or who knows. Is it coming??

And should Brady do this? I think of course he should. Cam had a lot of success running the read-option offense for the Panthers in the 2010s, especially in the red zone. He doesn't have his favorite play-action target in Greg Olsen anymore, but there's a lot more to work with weapons wise than say, the 2017 season when the 11-5 Panthers rolled into New Orleans for a playoff game with Brenton Bersin, Kaelin Clay, broken foot Olsen, and banged up shoulder Devin Funchess as his top receivers. Side note what a sad day that was to watch, a day when Cam played out of his mind but his receivers just couldn't get the job done.

Joe Brady should have far more creativity as a play-designer than Mike Shula did. But with the turnover generating defense the Panthers have this season, I hope we can generate some 2015 vibes from this offense. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I’m channeling my inner Bill Belicheat, but you could look at any single wing film from the 1940’s if you need any inspiration on how to use Cam as a runner. 

Cam’s arm looked good on that one deep throw to DJ and he’s still got gas in the tank when it comes to running the ball. The hard part is keeping both him and CMC healthy for the next 7 weeks. 

• Beer 2

If you want to look for inspiration from prior years, you should probably look at 2018.  Prior to TJ Watt ending Cam's shoulder, our offense looked really smooth.  Watch the Ravens game from that year if you want to see what Cam can look like with less Shula and more playmakers.

• Pie 1

39 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean I know everyone hates Shula as OC but…

Cam went 51-28-1

Playoffs 4 of 5 years 

MVP

it’s not the worst place to look for some plays.  

That is a reluctant pie but there was some good with all these coordinators. Shula gets a lot of hate but the run design concepts were always praised by Greg Cosell with NFL Films. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Like I said in a bother thread Chud and Norv had him at his best. The film that should be looked at is 2011-2012 and 2017. Those seasons were instrumental in how Cam developed from a Qb perspective not just a talent perspective. 2015 was the best year he played not relying on the rest of the team because he was the offense that year.

4 hours ago, BrianS said:

If you want to look for inspiration from prior years, you should probably look at 2018.  Prior to TJ Watt ending Cam's shoulder, our offense looked really smooth.  Watch the Ravens game from that year if you want to see what Cam can look like with less Shula and more playmakers.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

2018 pre Watt Cam would be pretty damn nice.