• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

People forget how good Cam looked in Preseason

hepcat

4 hours ago, BrianS said:

I think you're forgetting about the first half of 2018 (pre Steelers / Watt).  Go back and watch some of those games.

Norv and Scott coached him up.  His completion percentage jumped way up to a career high.  His TD percentage was the second highest of his career.  He made better decisions.  He ran less.  While his arm wasn't quite 2015, he could still throw lasers when he was set, and with that coaching he was set a lot more often.

Unfortunately TJ Watt happened and he lost a lot of velocity.  That doesn't change the fact that Cam is a much more refined player than he was.  But it didn't start in Foxboro.  It started here.

It wasn't the TJ Watt hit that busted his shoulder. Most likely he went into the season not fully recovered. 

He was listed as limited on practice,  I think after the Eagles game and that continued during the rest of his season until IR. I don't think he even practiced the week before the Ravens game. Its a few years ago, so maybe it was other teams but it happened weeks before the Steelers game. If you do a 2 min Google research you will be able to confirm that. 

The TJ hit is what people remember because it was so visual. But it wasn't the cause. I dont even think Cams numbers went down after that, but stayed similiar to his start of the season, until the two last horrendous game before the IR. 

Your comment about Norv and all that. 100% correct. I hope Cam can do something similiar this season and keep up the higher completion %. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Except you had issues being impartial about Darnold.

I wasn't big on Sam before he signed.

I was in the Tank for Trevor camp.

But once we picked him up I supported him. 

I am on Record saying Slater, Fields were my choices. 

Sam has the athletic talent just not the head. 

Like I said even if Cam only becomes an inside the 30 QB for us it's a big lift. Hopefully he can be Pre Watt 2018 Cam.

My problem isn't with Cam. It's with the Cam extremists. Those that think he's bigger than the team.

15 hours ago, ickmule said:

It was preseason.  History tells us preseason means nothing.  Again, let’s not get overly excited just yet.  

Preseason is largely meaningless, but there are some things you can take away.  Example, Cam's throwing shoulder.  We all know when he left here the first time he couldn't throw because of the injury.  Seeing him in preseason at least show he can deliver the ball is a big deal.  I mean the fear with Cam's shoulder is that defenses can just crash down without the fear of the deep ball.  If Cam has his deep ball back, he has his game back.

4 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Preseason is largely meaningless, but there are some things you can take away.  Example, Cam's throwing shoulder.  We all know when he left here the first time he couldn't throw because of the injury.  Seeing him in preseason at least show he can deliver the ball is a big deal.  I mean the fear with Cam's shoulder is that defenses can just crash down without the fear of the deep ball.  If Cam has his deep ball back, he has his game back.

This is what I fear fans are expecting.  That last bit there "If Cam has his deep ball back".  He doesn't.  That cannon he had attached to his shoulder is gone.

That doesn't mean he can't / won't be an incredibly effective player for us.  He can still get a ball downfield under the right conditions.  Not 60+ yards, but if he's set I suspect that he can get it 50-55 yards.  I know that his sense of touch has grown by leaps and bounds.  His short passes are much more catchable than they were.  His decision making is greatly improved.

It's a much more sustainable and consistent style of play.  He's no longer a freak athlete - though he is still quite athletic.  I have high hopes for a healthy, happy Cam here surrounded by weapons the likes of which he has never had before.

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, BrianS said:

This is what I fear fans are expecting.  That last bit there "If Cam has his deep ball back".  He doesn't.  That cannon he had attached to his shoulder is gone.

That doesn't mean he can't / won't be an incredibly effective player for us.  He can still get a ball downfield under the right conditions.  Not 60+ yards, but if he's set I suspect that he can get it 50-55 yards.  I know that his sense of touch has grown by leaps and bounds.  His short passes are much more catchable than they were.  His decision making is greatly improved.

It's a much more sustainable and consistent style of play.  He's no longer a freak athlete - though he is still quite athletic.  I have high hopes for a healthy, happy Cam here surrounded by weapons the likes of which he has never had before.

Yeah I think that's the realistic hope though. Even though Cam is not physically the same he might be a more effective player in totality just from an experience stand point. Plus having to relearn how to throw has probably greatly increased his awareness with timing  and all that.  The wildcard for me though is if his arm is stronger than people think then we are in great shape. Cam's old rocket at 80% in still better than most NFL QB's.

Edited by OneBadCat

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

Very rarely do you ever see a guy throw a bomb 50 plus yards unless it's hail mary time....If he can throw 40 yards downfield accurately that is enough.  Also how do you know what the status of his shoulder is?  I mean you might be right....but have you seen his MRI?  Are you at practice?  How do you know? 

3 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Randall Cunningham, who I've always compared Cam to and has similar numbers to, came back after being hurt, retired, came back to sit behind the bench most of the time, then the following year had an All-Pro year. Hopefully history repeats itself in Cam's favor.

Just win baby! 

21 minutes ago, ThPantherFan said:

I have no idea why Catsfan 69 would even say that.

I didn't say it was a hospital ball.

If you would read I asked if people were going to call it a hospital ball. I also said I had zero issues with the throw.

But nuthuggers are reactionary and jump to knee-jerk conclusions anytime anyone falls short of calling everything he does a play for the ages.

• Pie 1