• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Clean House Thread

Zod

3 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

The signing of Pat Eflein and Camp Erving on DAY 1 of free agency makes absolutely zero sense then and makes even less sense now. Whoever's idea that was alone needs to go. 

It does when you consider they were exactly the kind of lineman that Matt Rhule wanted.

(which is actually one of the roots of the problem)

• Pie 3

I honestly think that Rhule is more of a CEO/let your team do the work type of coach. I think that works when you’re a true expert and the staff learns from you and then also can go to you in a bad spot to make a good decision. 

Unfortunately, I don’t think that is Rhule’s strength. I think his strength is putting in processes that build his staff and team up so they can just make the decision themselves without him having to intervene on game day. 

The problem is that in order for that to be successful you have to have an elite staff. His staff is not elite. You could argue that other than Snow it’s the worst assistant staff in the NFL. 

You can get by with a mediocre staff if you’re a great coach who can override bad decisions on game day. I’m thinking about Bill Cowher and some of the OCs he had (Whisenhunt and Mularkey were pretty terrible HC. They had great success under Cowher). I think Pete Carroll’s decision making for a time elevated his teams when he has had pretty mediocre coordinators. 

I don’t think Rhule has that as a strength though and he may be able to build a program. But you have to be able to make the right decision on game day if your OC is a 33yo with zero NFL playcalling experience. He hasn’t shown that he can. 

On 11/29/2021 at 1:08 PM, CarolinaNCSU said:

I know there's been info alluding to it on Twitter and other places, but just spoke to a friend who mentioned a couple former players (including a certain MLB) who HATE Rhule. At a party with my friend, a couple former players saw Rhule on TV, start yelling GTFO at the TV, how the former players hate him, etc. Might explain Luke's decision to peace out from his scouting role as well. 

There's a reason Rhule wants Temple/Baylor guys on his team. They bought in at a young age and don't know any better. Actual NFL players tune this dude out.  

More tea needs to be spilled about this party.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

16 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

It does when you consider they were exactly the kind of lineman that Matt Rhule wanted.

(which is actually one of the roots of the problem)

I preached endlessly about that "versatility" poo being a really bad idea. This was SO fuging predicatable.

This is the most maddening part about the Matt Rhule era, when they make dumb moves, they make dumb moves that even a casual NFL fan wouldn't make.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

40 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I preached endlessly about that "versatility" poo being a really bad idea. This was SO fuging predicatable.

This is the most maddening part about the Matt Rhule era, when they make dumb moves, they make dumb moves that even a casual NFL fan wouldn't make.

Not a fan of that philosophy, never have been...

You need starters that play their positions well. Versatility is for backups.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not a fan of that philosophy, never have been...

You need starters that play their positions well. Versatility is for backups.

How many guys on the whole team can you say play their position well? Especially on the offensive side of the ball?

This is why we suck so bad.