• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Regarding Fitterer

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

Fitt’s personnel decisions have been spot on. Darnold was a low risk, high reward proposition. We essentially lost a 2nd round pick for a guy who a lot of people thought could be rehabbed. 

We are loaded at one of the most valuable positions in football (DB). 

Imo his draft was pretty good with Horn, Tremble, Nixon, Hubbard, Marshall etc. 

exactly. Fitt has done well with finding value and giving us the pieces we needed. But the problem has been coaching staff trying to fit a circle in a square hole. They have no clue on what they are doing. Offense looks awful and its really not Cams fault neither Sam. When your oline, playcalling and preparation sucks. Your going to suck no matter what. Despite the offense being hot garbage this year the defense has played well enough to keep us til the 3rd quarter but have no morale about the offense delivering. Get rid of Rhule and go get some sumo wrestlers on that oline.

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

I think Fitt and Morgan with a new head coach would be a great thing for the Panthers.

Morgan is a D guy... so thats one sided..can he evaluate oline..etc...Fitt...i'm not sold on...who has he been linked to as far as his input on talent...Wilson wants out of Seattle because of a shty oline...so... im not sold on either....  

• Beer 1

How much of the player ratings on the big board was on Fitt and how much of it was on Rhule?

If it's on Fitt, I'm honestly not impressed based on what was passed up to draft who we did when we did to acquire more picks.

If it's Rhule, I could cut him some slack as Rhule and his team would have evaluated the talent and ranked them according to where they saw the player's value. Fitt then made calculated trades to acquire more guys clumped in the same talent bracket that Rhule put together. This is more forgivable.

• Pie 1

Just now, Pimpdaddy said:

Morgan is a D guy... so thats one sided..can he evaluate oline..etc...Fitt...i'm not sold on...who has he been linked to as far as his input on talent...Wilson wants out of Seattle because of a shty oline...so... im not sold on either....  

Morgan's primarily been a pro personnel guy as an executive. Fitterer's background is more in college scouting. Between the two of them, it could be a pretty good combination.

I'd add that a few have said they'd fire Fitterer and name Morgan GM.

Not sure that's a real possibility.

Fitterer and Morgan are said to be pretty close friends (i.e. their families hang out together type friends). Morgan also gives Fitterer credit for helping him learn how to be a scout.

Granted it's a business, but if you were to dump Fitterer, I'd say it's far from guaranteed you keep Morgan.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

How much of the player ratings on the big board was on Fitt and how much of it was on Rhule?

If it's on Fitt, I'm honestly not impressed based on what was passed up to draft who we did when we did to acquire more picks.

If it's Rhule, I could cut him some slack as Rhule and his team would have evaluated the talent and ranked them according to where they saw the player's value. Fitt then made calculated trades to acquire more guys clumped in the same talent bracket that Rhule put together. This is more forgivable.

When it comes to player acquisition, coaching-GM dynamics tend to be pretty much the same regardless of who has the power.

The coach sets the scheme, and based on that what he wants in players. Take offensive line, for example. Some coaches want big maulers while others want smaller more agile guys.

(and some guys want "versatility" above all else) 😒

The personnel guy's job is basically to get what the coach wants...

...even if what the coach wants is dumb.

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I know Tepper had the final decision on the hire, but I'm not certain he knew he was going to fire Marty at that point.

Most of what I've read seems to indicate that what got Hurney the boot was a conflict of styles with Rhule. For whatever you think of Rhule, we do at least owe him for that.

Throw in that Tepper isn't exactly the most discerning guy when it comes to football knowledge. Before he trusted Rhule, he trusted Marty. Even went so far as to call him a great talent evaluator.

Anyone who doesn't have a conflict of styles with rhule is at this point highly suspect to me.  I doubt Fitters gets fired this year and don't feel good about rhule going away either,but imo neither deserves to be kept for another season.

Edited by Paa Langfart
  • Beer 1

26 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Fitts resume looks pretty vanilla ... his career looks like mine... find someone who can do your job for you... but since we have another year of BS...lets see what he can do...but, im only impressed with his neck and gut at this point...