• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Audio: The State of the Panthers (Fox Sports Upstate)

ellis

The problem with keeping Rhule now is actually rather simple to express:

It's very clear that if he happens to be the coach next year, he's on a one year contract.  Given that, what experienced NFL coach worth a cracked nickle is going to sign up for that?  Given that, what free agents with any sort of ambition will come here?

Keeping Matt Rhule at this point is handicapping yourself.  We're bad enough that we don't need extra weight to carry climbing out.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Great great listen.  I love the Luiz interview.

I want a reporter to ask the following questions:

-You preach analytics but you gave cmac a record breaking when the data says RB's on their second deals are not worth it, what was your mindset with this deal?

-Can you explain the rush to sign the 2 lineman in the first HOUR of free agency?

-Can you explain your thought process of giving up so much capital for Sam Darnold when it appears your were clearly bidding against yourself?

-Can you explain your thought process in picking up the 5th year option of darnold needlessly?

-Can you explain your evaluation of Rashawn Slater and Micah Parsons? 

-Can you explain your hesitation in playing BRady Christenson even when your playoff chances were minuscule and the left tackle in front of him was clearly struggling?

I think those are fair questions that Fit, Rhule and Tepper should answer

• Pie 4
  • Flames 2

10 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Great great listen.  I love the Luiz interview.

I want a reporter to ask the following questions:

-You preach analytics but you gave cmac a record breaking when the data says RB's on their second deals are not worth it, what was your mindset with this deal?

-Can you explain the rush to sign the 2 lineman in the first HOUR of free agency?

-Can you explain your thought process of giving up so much capital for Sam Darnold when it appears your were clearly bidding against yourself?

-Can you explain your thought process in picking up the 5th year option of darnold needlessly?

-Can you explain your evaluation of Rashawn Slater and Micah Parsons? 

-Can you explain your hesitation in playing BRady Christenson even when your playoff chances were minuscule and the left tackle in front of him was clearly struggling?

I think those are fair questions that Fit, Rhule and Tepper should answer

Yes. All of this. 

14 hours ago, ellis said:

Hey guys. I do an afternoon show down here at Fox Sports Upstate. I spent some time today diagnosing some of the problems with the Panthers, thought I would share my perspective with you. 

Hoping to have Joe Person on tomorrow to dive into his latest article, and some thoughts on Carolina’s future. 

Thanks for letting me share. Hope everybody’s having a good new year!

Direct link: Fox Sports Upstate: John Ellis on the Panthers

That was a good listen!

• Beer 1

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

For all the talk about analytics, just about nothing David Tepper's done has indicated an analytical approach.

That started from the beginning with keeping and trusting Marty Hurney, whose record absolutely did not justify it.

There was a lot of talk about sport science, as well. What is the application of this? For a team that continues to see you guys go down, and couple that with the overutilization of McCaffrey, hard to see where it comes in.

1 minute ago, ellis said:

There was a lot of talk about sport science, as well. What is the application of this? For a team that continues to see you guys go down, and couple that with the overutilization of McCaffrey, hard to see where it comes in.

Mentioned it elsewhere, but the Eagles reportedly invested big in having a sports science department a while back.

A few years later, they realized it wasn't really helping much of anything so they dropped it.

That absolutely strikes me as something David Tepper would do, even though somebody's already done it.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Mentioned it elsewhere, but the Eagles reportedly invested big in having a sports science department a while back.

A few years later, they realized it wasn't really helping much of anything so they dropped it.

That absolutely strikes me as something David Tepper would do, even though somebody's already done it.

They can hire me instead.  panthers: MrC - what can we do to extend Cmacs longevity?   Mrc:  How about this stop giving him 30 touches and stop giving him the ball needlessly at the end of blowouts.

Pay me

10 hours ago, ellis said:

Yeah, I don’t get the sense that he’s getting fired on Monday. I think there will be some conditions, including some potential changes on the staff. Outside of that, it’s anybody’s guess. Anything could happen, I suppose. At this point, I think most signs seem to indicate he’ll probably return.

"The house is on fire, let's get some new curtains." Yaaay!

• Pie 1

And while I'm repeating myself, I'll repeat this too.

When we heard the story of how Matt Rhule got hired, how they went into "recruiting mode" just 90 minutes into the interview and all that bullsh-t, I couldn't help but picture an elderly person intently listening to a fast talking insurance salesman.

That Tepper and Hurney came out of that meeting feeling like they just had to have this guy (so much so that they weren't even going to interview Josh McDaniels) made it sound like 100% emotional, suspend logic, "feel it in my gut" decision making. Hell, Marty pretty much said that when he was describing the process.

And coming from Marty, that's not a surprise. He always trusted his gut, even though more often than not his gut was full of sh-t.

But from the guy who was supposed to be a believer in analytics...well, it showed that when it comes to football, his gut rules his decision making too.

(and it's equally full of sh-t)

• Pie 1

I'm likely on my way out for a while anyway...as far as being an every game watcher, keeping up with every move the team makes.....but if Rhule is back next season...I'm for sure done.

Not that the team will miss me, but I bet there are a LOT more of me out there.  Money will tighten up this coming year for most of us, the first line item I will cut will be the Panthers.

48 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

There definitely are things I hope get done in this hiring cycle, but my big fear is that we're totally going to screw it up.

Unfortunately, Panthers history makes that a pretty reasonable fear.

My biggest concern is that there's not someone between Rhule and Tepper that know how to build a franchise.

Fitterer is a pawn that may or may not be good at his job. Rhule is in charge of everything we he shouldn't be.

Who knows what Tepper is thinking about this mess.  But whatever it is he shouldn't be in charge of the football leadership decisions.  

First and foremost they need someone in there that knows how to run a successful pro football organization. Until that happens expect more of the same.

• Beer 1