• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Regarding Kevin Colbert

Mr. Scot

For those of you (us) hoping that David Tepper would call on longtime Steelers exec Kevin Colbert to help straighten out the unholy mess that is the Panthers football operational structure (i.e. Matt Rhule in control of everything), some info from Peter King's latest column...

Kudos to Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero for the story on the expectation that Steelers GM Kevin Colbert will step down after the 2022 draft.

I have always thought of Colbert as the perfect Steelers GM. Egoless, totally a background guy, cared only about doing the right thing and picking the right players. Fiercely loyal to the Steelers, and quietly strong-willed about the old-fashioned way the franchise functions to this day. The ultimate Steeler. If this is it for him, I tip my hat.

Football Morning in America: Week 18

• Pie 5
  • Beer 3

51 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

For those of you (us) hoping that David Tepper would call on longtime Steelers exec Kevin Colbert to help straighten out the unholy mess that is the Panthers football operational structure (i.e. Matt Rhule in control of everything), some info from Peter King's latest column...

Kudos to Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero for the story on the expectation that Steelers GM Kevin Colbert will step down after the 2022 draft.

I have always thought of Colbert as the perfect Steelers GM. Egoless, totally a background guy, cared only about doing the right thing and picking the right players. Fiercely loyal to the Steelers, and quietly strong-willed about the old-fashioned way the franchise functions to this day. The ultimate Steeler. If this is it for him, I tip my hat.

Football Morning in America: Week 18

Would be nice.  It would be a challenge for him if he did.

• Pie 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

No big difference between the two, practically speaking.

He's a little old to be a GM again, but a consultant role where he has the power to reshape team operations would be ideal.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. I'm happy with Fitterer. Tepper could pay Colbert a few million to shape the organization and potentially assist with the hiring of a new coach next year. Colbert wouldn't have to put in 80 hours a week.

1 hour ago, mc52beast said:

So Tepper hires Colbert but still allows Rhule to have final say on everything? Makes zero sense.

If he hired Colbert it would be the first sign that he’s preparing for post Rhule (and possibly post Fitt) life even tho I think he’d be more of a consultant for Fitt. Shad Khan fired Baalke and Meyer. He admitted defeat in an even shorter period of time than Tepper would. These guys want to win. Bringing in a trusted advisor at the cost of eating a contract and eating some crow would be a small price to pay for Tepper.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

He's a little old to be a GM again…

What is the age limit on a “GM”?

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

…a consultant role where he has the power to reshape team operations…

Why would any “GM” cede such wide ranging powers to a “consultant”?

Laughable 🤦‍♂️

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Pie 1

Bringing in Colbert as the Czar of Football Operations would be ideal.  Not fussed about what title we actually put on it.  But allow him to be the final say on the structure and composition of that side of the house.  Make Fitterer the CLEAR GM.  He owns the roster.  Make Rhule the coach.  He coaches the players and creates the "identity" of the team.  The President of Football Operations should hire and fire both independently.

Do we have a problem with the roster?  Low talent level?  Cap a mess?  Bye Fitts.

Do we have a problem with coaching?  Failure to execute?  Below talent performance?  Poor atmosphere?  Bye Rhule.

In my mind, that's the way it should work.  It seems to make sense.  I'm sure it's not that way now.

• Poo 1