• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pep Hamilton is top choice for OC now

Zod

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

was that Pep? Was LSU’s record breaking season Joe Brady?  

Current OC had a top tier pass attack the year prior when then GM traded away Nuk Hopkins.  Yeah, he had Watson but there wasn’t much in Hou then either. 

Gets hard to tell sometimes.  Passing game coordinator isn’t calling the O. 

if Pep is that good….why has he bounced around so heavily since he was fired in Indy.   He basically has turned into a one year bounce around rental. 

He was the QB coach Herbert’s rookie year when he won rookie of the year. He also worked with Luck in Stanford and the Colts. It’s a more extensive resume than Brady. I’m not saying he is the next guru, but he tends to get a lot out of young QBs if the talent is there. The bouncing around is definitely alarming, but it’s a step up from a very inexperienced Brady looking good one year in college with an extremely loaded offense. Joe Brady may be good down the road, he just needs more experience.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

As I said, he is an improvement over anything Rhule has had to date.   But that isn’t saying much.  

He basically has a new job every year.   Not sure he has really hung around long enough to fail or succeed anywhere. 

his only OC job I felt was strictly because he had relationship with Luck from Stanford.  Is he a NFL OC if he wasn’t Luck’s college OC? 

It appears Pep was just in the wrong place at wrong time. He wasnt short term due to his capabiltiies, but rather the coaches he worked for were fired after a single year. He has been in the league for a long time, and has worked on many different teams. He has called plays successfully at the pro level, and was an assistant head coach in CLE. 

He checks the boxes.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

It appears Pep was just in the wrong place at wrong time. He wasnt short term due to his capabiltiies, but rather the coaches he worked for were fired after a single year. He has been in the league for a long time, and has worked on many different teams. He has called plays successfully at the pro level, and was an assistant head coach in CLE. 

He checks the boxes.

Might be a case of wrong place at the wrong time. 

He also checks off the box he could take over as interim.  Legit NFL OC time, XFL HC, etc.  Because Matt Rhule will still be Matt Rhule. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Hope he enjoys trying to turn Kenny Pickett into a starting caliber QB.

I have nothing against Pickett. I think people that were down on him are the same who were down on Mac. They are the boring, pro ready QBs whose film check a lot of the boxes, but they won’t wow you at the combine. I’m still thinking Carson Strong is being overlooked to a degree. 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Also found it utterly depressing that the GM made sure note it was Rhule’s hire.   Not his.  He was there if Matt wanted input but Matt doesn’t know offense Rhule is picking the OC. 

what exactly is the point of Fitt? Tepper could save some money and not have a fake GM.  Rhule is a bad version of Bill O’Brien. 

Every coach in the league has the power to hire their own assistants.

Some of them just happen to suck at it.

Rhule dials up Pep-

Pep- "Hello<Rhule jumps in "This is had coach of the carolina panthers Matt Rhule speaking>"

Pep- "there.." "Nice to hear form you Matt"

Rhule- "Only refer to me as Head Coach"

Pep. "...ok"

Rhule- "Look here Im in the market for another scapego..., I mean OC"

Pep- "Sounds<Rhule jumps in again-"Head coach Rhule!!!, you see Peps its like jeopardy you have to answer in the form of a question, but use Head Coach Rhule, ok?"

Pep-<more confused....> "Head Coach Rhule"

Rhule- "THATS IT!!! see thats part of the progress I teach here as the Carolina Panthers HC"

Pep- "Head Coach Rhule...... who do you plan on having as QB??"

Rhule- "Sam Darnold of course"

\

\

\

Rhule-"pep you still there?"

\

Rhule- "Pep?"

I see talk linking Pep to a Watson trade. This is Pep's first year in Houston and he has only worked with Watson on the practice field. If you want to hire a coach to truly get linked to Watson, then fire Snow and hire Brian Flores as your DC. It was said today that Flores relationship with their owner, GM, and Tua was not good due to him pushing for Watson. Owner and GM are behind Tua. Flores was the attraction to Miami for DW

Interesting that Pep and O’Connell are both being viewed as HC candidates. 

Maybe Tepper has taken away Rhule’s offensive role all together and he can just be the ra-ra coach he is and lay his fortunes on the defense with Phil.

If we do poorly then poooosh—-Kevin O’Connell or Pep Hamilton become interim or maybe long term.