• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Calling Huddle GM’s: How would you fix our QB and O line in ONE offseason?

WarPanthers89

9 minutes ago, Toomers said:

It’s not about what you have. It’s about what you need. The Saints have spent a decade trying to win in their HOF QBs window. The Packers are doing it every in year too. With both having quality players at almost every position. The Panthers have been awful 3 years. 

The Panthers have huge holes at almost every position, no depth and most importantly, no QB. They wasted about 80M in 2021 and just those two you mentioned was 40-50M last year. What would 130M added to this roster? Instead of Teddy, KK, Okung, Boston,Weatherly, Sam, RA extension. Not even counting giving a guy the biggest RB deal…ever. 

All makes sense. The worst part is, we don’t have many draft picks either… The Darnold move is just a complete cluster. We should have Fields or Mac right now (locked in a rookie contract) with and extra $18.5 million and all of our picks available to patch up our offensive line. If RA doesn’t bounce back we can cut him in 2023 with a 3.8 dead cap hit with a net increase of around 12 million so that one isn’t as crazy. 

8 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

All makes sense. The worst part is, we don’t have many draft picks either… The Darnold move is just a complete cluster. We should have Fields or Mac right now (locked in a rookie contract) with and extra $18.5 million and all of our picks available to patch up our offensive line. If RA doesn’t bounce back we can cut him in 2023 with a 3.8 dead cap hit with a net increase of around 12 million so that one isn’t as crazy. 

But they are still paying RA 16.8M in 2022 just to cut him at that number in 2023. 20M for a player who was extended AFTER the new 2nd round pick WR was chosen over OL. And before taking care of Moore. It’s still crazy. How anyone in this organization still has a job is beyond me. 

Many here are like "no retread QB!" or "no 1st round QB!". Reality is you need a QB to do anything in the NFL. I'd go after Wilson, Jimmy G, Mayfield, or Derek Carr. Face it, they are all way better than Darnold. Then I would trade back in the 1st and possibly draft QB with the first pick and OL the rest of the draft. Also bring in OL help through FA and/or trade.

Edited by KillerKat

5 minutes ago, Toomers said:

But they are still paying RA 16.8M in 2022 just to cut him at that number in 2023. 20M for a player who was extended AFTER the new 2nd round pick WR was chosen over OL. And before taking care of Moore. It’s still crazy. How anyone in this organization still has a job is beyond me. 

On a side note I feel some of the positions can be filled pretty cheap. Move Chinn back to LB with Shaq where he thrived and let Kenny Robinson play FS with Franklin or Burris at SS. KR is really our best coverage FS and Chinn played better at LB. Have Nixon, Hoskins, and Roy battle it out for the other DT job next to Brown (I think Nixon has some potential). If we roll with BC, Brown, and Moton we need to keep them at their natural positions and stop shuffling around the OL.  However, most importantly we need to take away Rhule’s roster control so he doesn’t ruin it for the next guy. 

24 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

Many here are like "no retread QB!" or "no 1st round QB!". Reality is you need a QB to do anything in the NFL. I'd go after Wilson, Jimmy G, Mayfield, or Derek Carr. Face it, they are all way better than Darnold. Then I would trade back in the 1st and possibly draft QB with the first pick and OL the rest of the draft. Also bring in OL help through FA and/or trade.

Gross. Absolutely the opposite of this embarrassing statement is what we needs to actually happen. Its "no first round QB" because this is one of the worst QB draft classes in the last decade....How would that rookie perform with this Oline.... and then if he didn't make the playoffs you would have to fire Rhule anyway and hire a new coach who would want his guy.  You trade for another retread and they will NOT succeed behind this Oline. Do you realize how much cap space and draft capital you will have to give up to get one of these QBs that's worth a crap? How would you then improve the worst oline in the league with no picks and no cap space? Its reasons like this that we are here in the first place. There is a definition of doing the same thing multiple times and not learning from your mistakes. It's called INSANITY.

• Pie 1

Acquire as many picks as possible by trading CMC and D Brown. I actually think you could get two 1sts from those two players. That would leave us with 6th and probably two mid-late 1sts. I like the Tomlinson idea. 

Ekwonu, Linderbaum. 

LT - Ekwonu

LG - Brady

C - Linderbaum

RG - Tomlinson

RT - Moton

Another potential approach to this is that they sign Tomlinson and an OT (either Robinson or Armstead) and put all of their eggs into the 1st round QB basket. I don’t love that plan bc if it blows up then it sets the franchise back an additional few years. But I could see this happening. I also don’t love OL FA. They tend to have a ton of wear and tear and get reinjured. 

8 hours ago, Jared Patterson said:

Gross. Absolutely the opposite of this embarrassing statement is what we needs to actually happen. Its "no first round QB" because this is one of the worst QB draft classes in the last decade....How would that rookie perform with this Oline.... and then if he didn't make the playoffs you would have to fire Rhule anyway and hire a new coach who would want his guy.  You trade for another retread and they will NOT succeed behind this Oline. Do you realize how much cap space and draft capital you will have to give up to get one of these QBs that's worth a crap? How would you then improve the worst oline in the league with no picks and no cap space? Its reasons like this that we are here in the first place. There is a definition of doing the same thing multiple times and not learning from your mistakes. It's called INSANITY.

Damn this dude gets it.  The only option we have is build the line this year, roll with Sammy D, draft a qb in the top 5 next year.  It sucks but its a plan

• Pie 1

57 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

Acquire as many picks as possible by trading CMC and D Brown. I actually think you could get two 1sts from those two players. That would leave us with 6th and probably two mid-late 1sts. I like the Tomlinson idea. 

Ekwonu, Linderbaum. 

LT - Ekwonu

LG - Brady

C - Linderbaum

RG - Tomlinson

RT - Moton

Goddamn dude, how many times must it be stated that we are not trading CMAC for numerous reasons.  And to think we could get a first for him.........damn dude just damn

Best chance in one year is to use those draft picks from last season. Something like...

LT Christensen

LG FA - this gets experience around the youth. Bunch of solid ones can be had this offseason currently.

C Draft Pick- Linderbaum day 1 or like a Dohnovan West day 2

RG Brown (ideally here but can play LG depending on FA)

RT Moton

QB you either land one of the studs in FA or try your luck with the rookie deal with a Pickett or Corral round 1. Or if you're looking for more run oriented, a Willis or Ridder day 2

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Best chance in one year is to use those draft picks from last season. Something like...

LT Christensen

LG FA - this gets experience around the youth. Bunch of solid ones can be had this offseason currently.

C Draft Pick- Linderbaum day 1 or like a Dohnovan West day 2

RG Brown (ideally here but can play LG depending on FA)

RT Moton

QB you either land one of the studs in FA or try your luck with the rookie deal with a Pickett or Corral round 1. Or if you're looking for more run oriented, a Willis or Ridder day 2

What qb stud is a free agent?

we don’t have a day 2 pick.  

Edited by mrcompletely11