• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top of the first Mock

MHS831

I considered needs, but until free agency rolls around, it is hard to predict.  I can say that this helped me understand that the 4 OL we covet in round 1 are not going to be gone by #6-and we can move back some.  Basing this on needs as of January 15, I feel confident that we can trade back and get a key OL.

1.      JACKSONVILLE:  Evan Neal, OT, Alabama—the first piece of the OL reconstruction that replaces Cam Robinson, the LT they are going to lose to free agency.  Jacksonville is nearly certain to try to trade this pick, but unless they offer a bargain, nobody is going to pay the price.  They need a pass-rushing DE, WR, and DBs as well.

2.      DETROIT:  Aiden Hutchinson, DE, Michigan—a Michigan Native, Dan Campbell guy, and a huge need. Detroit may be the first team to consider QB, but Goff is a decent placeholder and probably a huge reach here.  I think they will take Hutchinson if Jax does not, filling a huge need.

3.      HOUSTON:  Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh—The Watson trade can help fill many needs—except QB.  .  Davis Mills was good at times, but probably nothing more than a backup.  I have a feeling they will feel the pressure to put the Watson circus and losing behind them, and this is not much of a gamble if you consider how much they are going to get for Watson.  Houston will not want to enter 2022 without a starting QB again.

4.      NY JETS:  Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE, Oregon---The Jets need a dominant pass rusher to help improve a weak secondary.  Thibodeaux is simply the best player available and would improve a weak defense from day 1.  CB Stingley was on their board until Thibodeaux fell to #4.

5.      NY GIANTS: George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue---The Giants see the edge rushers/DE’s being drafted and decide to get in on the action.   The Giants have multiple first rounders, and have needs at RT that can be addressed later in round 1.  They have not addressed DE in the draft in a decade, so they will now.  They could go ILB, RT, or WR with the next pick, but getting an elite pass rusher at #5 is the smart play.

6.      CAROLINA:  TRADE: CLEVELAND (for #13 and #45): Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State.  The Browns need to protect Mayfield for another season and give him a #1 WR.  This could be Ekwonu.

7.      NY GIANTS:  Nakobe Dean, ILB, Georgia—The Giants have to get faster at ILB, and nobody is faster than Dean.  I just do not see the Giants going for a RT or a WR here, and I nearly inked in Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State.  The Giants will find a RT and WR later, but the speed and pass rush just got scary in NY.

8.      ATLANTA:  Drake London, WR, USC---The Falcons give Matt Ryan another weapon on offense.  While DE/Edge might be the pick here, or even QB, London was the best WR in the nation when he was injured and WR is a need.  He is 6’ 5” tall and difficult to cover.

9.      DENVER:  Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah---Lloyd is a very underrated, all-around LB who will go early to a team with a need.  Of course, you have the Broncos who need a QB, but they also have a bunch of draft picks and salary cap room.  I see Denver as the eventual landing spot for a Garrappolo or Watson.

10.  NY JETS:  Derek Stingley, CB, LSU—The Jets seek the best CB in the draft to upgrade their biggest weakness—the secondary.  Stingley is a stud and the Jets’ CBs had 2 picks in 2021.  Terrible.

11.  WASHINGTON:  Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame—The “Groundhogs” (Announcing name on Groundhog day—it makes sense) have many needs, but Hamilton is simply a steal here at 11 and S is an area of need.  You could see a QB here, a lineman, etc.  who knows?

12.  MINNESOTA:  David Ojabo, DE/Edge, Michigan----The Vikings need some pass rush, and Ojabo has tremendous upside.

13.  CAROLINA (From Cleveland):  Ikem Ekwonu, T/G, NC State---The Panthers want to establish a run game and they are fortunate to find the best run-blocking T in the draft.  He was all conference at both G and T, and would allow BC to follow the path of Travelle Wharton and become a LG, backup LT.  Getting Ekwonu and a second rounder is huge.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 2

image.thumb.png.8a4c5bfe8f9165452e0943e84a85f181.png

im going to admit. Idk who most of those late guys are. But Penning is massive and is consensus 1st round tackle that is apparently very athletic. Strong and Ridder imo have the highest upside of any of the QBs. Strong is more polished so that’s who I went with. I like tight ends. They make great targets for young QBs.

• Pie 1

On 1/15/2022 at 4:21 PM, MHS831 said:

I considered needs, but until free agency rolls around, it is hard to predict.  I can say that this helped me understand that the 4 OL we covet in round 1 are not going to be gone by #6-and we can move back some.  Basing this on needs as of January 15, I feel confident that we can trade back and get a key OL.

1.      JACKSONVILLE:  Evan Neal, OT, Alabama—the first piece of the OL reconstruction that replaces Cam Robinson, the LT they are going to lose to free agency.  Jacksonville is nearly certain to try to trade this pick, but unless they offer a bargain, nobody is going to pay the price.  They need a pass-rushing DE, WR, and DBs as well.

2.      DETROIT:  Aiden Hutchinson, DE, Michigan—a Michigan Native, Dan Campbell guy, and a huge need. Detroit may be the first team to consider QB, but Goff is a decent placeholder and probably a huge reach here.  I think they will take Hutchinson if Jax does not, filling a huge need.

3.      HOUSTON:  Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh—The Watson trade can help fill many needs—except QB.  .  Davis Mills was good at times, but probably nothing more than a backup.  I have a feeling they will feel the pressure to put the Watson circus and losing behind them, and this is not much of a gamble if you consider how much they are going to get for Watson.  Houston will not want to enter 2022 without a starting QB again.

4.      NY JETS:  Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE, Oregon---The Jets need a dominant pass rusher to help improve a weak secondary.  Thibodeaux is simply the best player available and would improve a weak defense from day 1.  CB Stingley was on their board until Thibodeaux fell to #4.

5.      NY GIANTS: George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue---The Giants see the edge rushers/DE’s being drafted and decide to get in on the action.   The Giants have multiple first rounders, and have needs at RT that can be addressed later in round 1.  They have not addressed DE in the draft in a decade, so they will now.  They could go ILB, RT, or WR with the next pick, but getting an elite pass rusher at #5 is the smart play.

6.      CAROLINA:  TRADE: CLEVELAND (for #13 and #45): Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State.  The Browns need to protect Mayfield for another season and give him a #1 WR.  This could be Ekwonu.

7.      NY GIANTS:  Nakobe Dean, ILB, Georgia—The Giants have to get faster at ILB, and nobody is faster than Dean.  I just do not see the Giants going for a RT or a WR here, and I nearly inked in Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State.  The Giants will find a RT and WR later, but the speed and pass rush just got scary in NY.

8.      ATLANTA:  Drake London, WR, USC---The Falcons give Matt Ryan another weapon on offense.  While DE/Edge might be the pick here, or even QB, London was the best WR in the nation when he was injured and WR is a need.  He is 6’ 5” tall and difficult to cover.

9.      DENVER:  Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah---Lloyd is a very underrated, all-around LB who will go early to a team with a need.  Of course, you have the Broncos who need a QB, but they also have a bunch of draft picks and salary cap room.  I see Denver as the eventual landing spot for a Garrappolo or Watson.

10.  NY JETS:  Derek Stingley, CB, LSU—The Jets seek the best CB in the draft to upgrade their biggest weakness—the secondary.  Stingley is a stud and the Jets’ CBs had 2 picks in 2021.  Terrible.

11.  WASHINGTON:  Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame—The “Groundhogs” (Announcing name on Groundhog day—it makes sense) have many needs, but Hamilton is simply a steal here at 11 and S is an area of need.  You could see a QB here, a lineman, etc.  who knows?

12.  MINNESOTA:  David Ojabo, DE/Edge, Michigan----The Vikings need some pass rush, and Ojabo has tremendous upside.

13.  CAROLINA (From Cleveland):  Ikem Ekwonu, T/G, NC State---The Panthers want to establish a run game and they are fortunate to find the best run-blocking T in the draft.  He was all conference at both G and T, and would allow BC to follow the path of Travelle Wharton and become a LG, backup LT.  Getting Ekwonu and a second rounder is huge.

I hope you are right about talent still being there if we trade back. I just have to wonder if there is anyone in the first 6 picks that has the skill set that anyone would trade up for. Would they give up enough to make it worthwhile?

2 minutes ago, Stuart Smith said:

I hope you are right about talent still being there if we trade back. I just have to wonder if there is anyone in the first 6 picks that has the skill set that anyone would trade up for. Would they give up enough to make it worthwhile?

that is the question and I wish I knew.  There seems to be a dropoff around #10-12 in this draft, in my opinion.  The top talent is shallow.  I am guessing, if we have a list of 4-5 players we want, that one might fall to the middle of the round, but not necessarily.  I am very anxious to see how Fitterer handles this.