• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Possible Cuts for Cap Savings

Michael G

2 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

I didn't really see much promise in Henderson, but maybe he'll start to put it together next year.

I am really hoping Henderson can develop into a starter for us. He was very inconsistent last year. This year He'll start with the team in training camp opposite Jaycee and maybe they can develop into a really good duo with a complete preseason/Offseason to learn the system.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

17 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

What type of logic is that if we traded back and someone grabbed the guy we wanted.  If we are going QB we are going to stay and get our top choice

A lot can transpire between now and the draft for the 22 QB draft class. Senior bowl, pro days, and combine will shift the board, but I’m basing that idea off the current boards. It’s likely our staff may feel comfortable a QB we like will be available at 10-20 pick. Why not trade back and assist re-build  if that’s the case?

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

A lot can transpire between now and the draft for the 22 QB draft class. Senior bowl, pro days, and combine will shift the board, but I’m basing that idea off the current boards. It’s likely our staff may feel comfortable a QB we like will be available at 10-20 pick. Why not trade back and assist re-build  if that’s the case?

Why would you risk that if you identify someone you like?  Seems like a good way to screw yourself in the draft. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Why would you risk that if you identify someone you like?  Seems like a good way to screw yourself in the draft. 

Currently there is no one ‘liking’ a QB at #6. I’m sure that will change. 

Here’s an example I’m thinking…

The staff likes Howell and/or Willis, but they’re graded and mocked late first to early second. The move then would be trade back and select one in the 10-15/20 range. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, ECHornet said:

Currently there is no one ‘liking’ a QB at #6. I’m sure that will change. 

Here’s an example I’m thinking…

The staff likes Howell and/or Willis, but they’re graded and mocked late first to early second. The move then would be trade back and select one in the 10-15/20 range. 

But what if the team we just traded with has one ranked higher?  Its just too risky for qb's.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

36 minutes ago, Michael G said:

If we cut CMC it add like 26 mil or something to the Dead Money--we actually lose money by cutting him.. He has a crazy big deal, but we have an out negotiated in for next year. that save us a little but still adds 12 mil or so to the dead cap #.

Ouch... 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Michael G said:

Below I have compiled a list of players under contract for 2022. These are players who I think may cut (if they can't be traded) to give the team more Cap Space to spend in Free Agency. All proposed cuts are Pre June 1st cuts. Would you cut any of these players? (My #s are from Over the Cap)

1. AJ Bouye (N/CB): (cap # next year =4.7 mil. Cap savings of 3.5 million, but adding 1.2 mil in Dead Cap)

2. Dennis Daley (OG/OT): (cap # next year =2.5+ mil. Cap Savings of 2.5 mil, adding only 31k in Dead Cap)

3. Pat Elflein (C/OG):  (cap # next year =7+ mil. Cap Savings of 4.7 mil, but adding 2.4 mil in Dead Cap) *Eflein would be a lot cheaper to cut next year

4. Morgan Fox (DL):  (cap # next year =5.6 mil. Cap Savings of 3 mil, but adding 2.5+ mil in Dead Cap)

5. Sam Franklin Jr (S):  (cap # next year =900K. Cap Savings of 895K, adding only 5k in Dead Cap)

6. Liram H. (K): (cap # next year =825K. Cap Savings of 825K, adding 0 in Dead Cap) *We will probably try to bring back Zane G. if possible and let Hiram go

7. Myles  Hartsfield (DB): (cap # next year =896+K. Cap Savings of 895K, adding only 1k in Dead Cap)

8. Michael Jordan (OG): (cap # next year =965K. Cap Savings of 965K, adding 0 in Dead Cap)

9. Cam Erving (OL):  (cap # next year =6.5+ mil. Cap Savings of 2 mil, adding 4.5 in Dead Cap)

There are other players under contract who we might cut that were basically PS guys or Rookies and young players we are still developing. Most of them have min. contracts with little savings and no dead $. WE also have a couple of big contracts that probably will remain on the books due to lack of trade interest and the fact we probably will not cut these guys (Shaq, CMC, Darnold) because of the huge dead money hit we'd take from their guaranteed contracts.

He would you cut to save cap. Who would you bring back

I would cut Cam Erving, John Miller, and Dennis Daley. Even with whatever dead cap we would absorb I would rather sign I drafted Rookies to fill their spots. 

• Pie 2

25 minutes ago, Michael G said:

I am really hoping Henderson can develop into a starter for us. He was very inconsistent last year. This year He'll start with the team in training camp opposite Jaycee and maybe they can develop into a really good duo with a complete preseason/Offseason to learn the system.

Unfortunately we have a combo of Rhule and Mcadoo who despite what's going on in their own heads, are not good at getting their players on board with what they're trying to do. Mcadoo was getting roasted by his team in NY before and after he got let go. Cam saying about half our team didn't buy in to what Rhule was trying to do, not the best situation for a player with some level of mental health/motivation issues, whatever truly is the case

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, ECHornet said:

1. AJ Bouye (N/CB): (cap # next year =4.7 mil. Cap savings of 3.5 million, but adding 1.2 mil in Dead Cap)

Would not cut Bouye, but would trade for equivalent draft pick/player. Especially if we resign one of Gilmore or Jackson - I hope we let Jackson walk.

2. Dennis Daley (OG/OT): (cap # next year =2.5+ mil. Cap Savings of 2.5 mil, adding only 31k in Dead Cap)

Assuming spotrac is correct here, the contract is so cheap I wouldn’t cut prior to free agency/draft.

3. Pat Elflein (C/OG):  (cap # next year =7+ mil. Cap Savings of 4.7 mil, but adding 2.4 mil in Dead Cap) *Eflein would be a lot cheaper to cut next year

Keep. Likely our starting Center next year for now.

4. Morgan Fox (DL):  (cap # next year =5.6 mil. Cap Savings of 3 mil, but adding 2.5+ mil in Dead Cap)

Keep unless a trade for equivalent draft pick value is available. He is a solid contributor.

5. Sam Franklin Jr (S):  (cap # next year =900K. Cap Savings of 895K, adding only 5k in Dead Cap)

Keep. Cheap contract and young. 

6. Liram H. (K): (cap # next year =825K. Cap Savings of 825K, adding 0 in Dead Cap) *We will probably try to bring back Zane G. if possible and let Hiram go

Cut. Resign Zane

7. Myles  Hartsfield (DB): (cap # next year =896+K. Cap Savings of 895K, adding only 1k in Dead Cap)

Keep. Cheap contract and minimal savings vs production.

8. Michael Jordan (OG): (cap # next year =965K. Cap Savings of 965K, adding 0 in Dead Cap)

Keep. Cheap and minimal savings. Potential cut post free agency/draft.

9. Cam Erving (OL):  (cap # next year =6.5+ mil. Cap Savings of 2 mil, adding 4.5 in Dead Cap)

Keep. Savings not worth giving him up as depth. Potential trade post free agency/draft. Likely player for player. 

agree 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Tell me again why people think Fitt is some genius

The real problem with making any assertion in either direction is the lack of clarity.  Numerous sources say that Rhule is the decision maker on roster.  If those sources are correct, then none of this can fall on Fitt.  If you want to blame Fitt for poor decision making, then it needs to be clearly and definitively stated by someone in the building that he has final decision on roster.

I think it's clear Fitt has influence, we certainly have never seen a draft like the last one.  But I don't have any confidence right now on who I should blame or applaud.  That problem falls squarely on Tepper.  He needs to state clearly and for the record where responsibilities fall.

Then we can place the plaudits and blame where the should be.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

The real problem with making any assertion in either direction is the lack of clarity.  Numerous sources say that Rhule is the decision maker on roster.  If those sources are correct, then none of this can fall on Fitt.  If you want to blame Fitt for poor decision making, then it needs to be clearly and definitively stated by someone in the building that he has final decision on roster.

I think it's clear Fitt has influence, we certainly have never seen a draft like the last one.  But I don't have any confidence right now on who I should blame or applaud.  That problem falls squarely on Tepper.  He needs to state clearly and for the record where responsibilities fall.

Then we can place the plaudits and blame where the should be.

The job of the GM is to get the players his coach wants to play in his system. A GM has to believe in the coach and his system for things to work. If a GM doesn't have faith in the coach then someone either has to go or they got a lot of explaining to do to get on the same page. But since Fitt didn't hire Rhule and it appears that Rhule has player personnel final say, the only thing you can judge Fitts on is how well he did getting players for Rhule's scheme

• Pie 1

On 1/29/2022 at 11:23 AM, Michael G said:

Below I have compiled a list of players under contract for 2022. These are players who I think may cut (if they can't be traded) to give the team more Cap Space to spend in Free Agency. All proposed cuts are Pre June 1st cuts. Would you cut any of these players? (My #s are from Over the Cap)

1. AJ Bouye (N/CB): (cap # next year =4.7 mil. Cap savings of 3.5 million, but adding 1.2 mil in Dead Cap)

2. Dennis Daley (OG/OT): (cap # next year =2.5+ mil. Cap Savings of 2.5 mil, adding only 31k in Dead Cap)

3. Pat Elflein (C/OG):  (cap # next year =7+ mil. Cap Savings of 4.7 mil, but adding 2.4 mil in Dead Cap) *Eflein would be a lot cheaper to cut next year

4. Morgan Fox (DL):  (cap # next year =5.6 mil. Cap Savings of 3 mil, but adding 2.5+ mil in Dead Cap)

5. Sam Franklin Jr (S):  (cap # next year =900K. Cap Savings of 895K, adding only 5k in Dead Cap)

6. Liram H. (K): (cap # next year =825K. Cap Savings of 825K, adding 0 in Dead Cap) *We will probably try to bring back Zane G. if possible and let Hiram go

7. Myles  Hartsfield (DB): (cap # next year =896+K. Cap Savings of 895K, adding only 1k in Dead Cap)

8. Michael Jordan (OG): (cap # next year =965K. Cap Savings of 965K, adding 0 in Dead Cap)

9. Cam Erving (OL):  (cap # next year =6.5+ mil. Cap Savings of 2 mil, adding 4.5 in Dead Cap)

There are other players under contract who we might cut that were basically PS guys or Rookies and young players we are still developing. Most of them have min. contracts with little savings and no dead $. WE also have a couple of big contracts that probably will remain on the books due to lack of trade interest and the fact we probably will not cut these guys (Shaq, CMC, Darnold) because of the huge dead money hit we'd take from their guaranteed contracts.

He would you cut to save cap. Who would you bring back

Not a whole lot of savings to be had this year.  It looks like our 2022 cap isn't going to get much better.  We just suck it up this year.  Hopefully next year with Rhule gone, a full slate of draft picks (fingers crossed) and a handful of guys whose cap savings significantly out weigh their dead cap, it will be time to get this team going in the right direction.

For the little bit of cap savings with some of these guys, it's not worth trading off the dead cap for 2023.  I'd much rather start 2023 with little-to-no dead cap, of which we are saddled with no dead cap currently.