• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers and the Rooney Rule

Mr. Scot

From Ellis...

Remember back when Marty Hurney was "interim" GM?

The Fritz Pollard Alliance accused Jerry Richardson of using the interim tag to keep from interviewing other / minority candidates for the GM position. As a result, the Panthers interviewed three minority candidates...and then went ahead and named Marty Hurney the permanent GM.

It's not exactly hard to see Jerry Richardson fitting this scenario.

Richardson is gone now, of course.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, 4Corners said:

Here is a legit concern about the Rooney Rule - why bring in a minority candidate if you have no inclination to hire him to begin with? it’s very embarrassing and ignorant  for any company to parade a black person around like they are going to hire him when they know it’s just a dog and pony show

I said this yesterday, it is just a cover

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

30 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Here is a legit concern about the Rooney Rule - why bring in a minority candidate if you have no inclination to hire him to begin with? it’s very embarrassing and ignorant  for any company to parade a black person around like they are going to hire him when they know it’s just a dog and pony show

Because if they don't the media rips them apart. As they should.

The RR needs serious reworking. But what do you do? I'm all for hiring the best candidate, no matter who they are, but how do you determine who is best? What criteria do you use? If it's experience, well then white men have an unfair advantage. So do you "just do it" and fill coaching spots with talented black men to play "catch up"? Do you set some matching percentage to that of the player/race makeup? And if you do ... what if there are more qualified non POC that are out of a job? Will it go to the Supreme Court like the current AA cases with colleges and Asians? The whole thing is a mess. I don't think it can be fixed because the matter of race will never be "fixed" in our society ... ever.

Way out of the realm of possibility idea: hire an independent group to interview candidates and determine who is most qualified. They decide who gets the job. The owner/GM/coach will give them their list of wants beforehand. It'd never hapen, but at least that way it's fair without any franchise funny business like we just saw with the NYG.

Edited by Brooklyn 3.0
  • Pie 2

51 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Because if they don't the media rips them apart. As they should.

The RR needs serious reworking. But what do you do? I'm all for hiring the best candidate, no matter who they are, but how do you determine who is best? What criteria do you use? If it's experience, well then white men have an unfair advantage. So do you "just do it" and fill coaching spots with talented black men to play "catch up"? Do you set some matching percentage to that of the player/race makeup? And if you do ... what if there are more qualified non POC that are out of a job? Will it go to the Supreme Court like the current AA cases with colleges and Asians? The whole thing is a mess. I don't think it can be fixed because the matter of race will never be "fixed" in our society ... ever.

Way out of the realm of possibility idea: hire an independent group to interview candidates and determine who is most qualified. They decide who gets the job. The owner/GM/coach will give them their list of wants beforehand. It'd never hapen, but at least that way it's fair without any franchise funny business like we just saw with the NYG.

First, try and get a minority group as buyers for the Broncos. Then consider adding 4 more franchises all to be minority owned if and only if there are enough qualified applicants for the Broncos franchise. Those owners will then have the ability to hire those they feel are qualified to do the job, regardless of color, opening the door for more experience and candidates in the future. 

• Pie 1

The Rooney Rule is a joke. On paper, it seems like the right move. But until you replace the very old white men that aren’t going to change (and this type of behavior is engrained in their DNA) with younger, more forward thinking individuals, poo isn’t going to change. 

• Poo 2

3 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I've never been a fan of the Rooney rule. I've been a fan of hiring the best guy for the job period. There's only 1 Lombardi trophy to win every year and I'll be damned if I wouldn't be hiring the most qualified or the guy with the right vision and plan on how to get there. 

I too believe in the best candidate for the job.  I lived through intergration and I've always said, so what.  I could care less if you were black, white, yellow, red or purple.  People are one under God's care.  It's 2022.  Love each other equally.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

First, try and get a minority group as buyers for the Broncos.

I never thought of it like that.  How many sports teams are owned by minorities?  I don't even like to use the word minority.  I'm not any better than anyone else and no one else is better than me.  We're equal.

3 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I've never been a fan of the Rooney rule. I've been a fan of hiring the best guy for the job period. There's only 1 Lombardi trophy to win every year and I'll be damned if I wouldn't be hiring the most qualified or the guy with the right vision and plan on how to get there. 

I agree that the best candidate should be hired for the job regardless of skin color or ethnicity. At the same time how do you know that owners and organizations aren't black balling African American candidates? The intention of The Rooney rule was good, but it is significantly flawed too. 

• Pie 2

There's a problem with any rule, law, system or whatever else human beings want to create, and it's this:

Can you make a rule that changes someone's heart?

Can you write a law that makes a bad person turn good?

Can you create a system that removes negative ideas from someone's mind?

The answer to all of these is no.

No matter how good your rule, law, system, etc is, as long as it's administered by flawed human beings, it's never going to be everything you want it to be.

You want real change? It's not gonna happen unless it happens in people's hearts and minds.

Until then, you're just reshuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

• Pie 10
  • Poo 1