• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jonathan Alexander on Rhule/Fitterer/Morgan, re: roles in roster building

ellis

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think this is highly likely still the full on Matt Rhule show and will be until Tepper eventually sacks up and fires him. When that happens, Fitterer should follow him out the door. I honestly don't want any part in a "GM" willing to put his reputation on the line for a job that's in essence in title only while trying to baby sit a college coach with final say on everything. Maybe he thought he could have more influence over Rhule once he was in the building? Maybe he assumed Rhule would be more willing to listen to someone with real NFL experience.

Either way, he was wrong and he can GTFO too as far as I'm concerned.

I want to like Fitts but I find it hard to believe that Rhule found Sam, Elflein, and Erving all on his own.  Very likely that they decide on what they need then the GM finds guys he thinks would work and then Rhule has final say.  It's not like Fitts is going to present a guy that he doesn't think will work.

Without being a fly on the wall it might be difficult to give a fair assessment of Fitts.

2 hours ago, davos said:

Given the QB situation, depending on how they laid it out, it could’ve been framed like this:

Attempt 1-target top FA — didn’t happen. The QB carousel sucked minus Brady jumping to TB.  Teddy it was.

Attempt 2-We considered some in the draft but it appeared to be Herbert, Tua and Burrow. If we wanted Hurts, could’ve gotten him. Nada.

Attempt 3-find next best FA—got denied by Stafford. Watson fiasco happened. Another poor QB carousel. 

Attempt 4-trade for a project (Darnold)

Attempt 5-check draft again, they didn’t like any

Rhule could very well be selling that any other guy would’ve had the same QB options and to let him find his rookie to build with his team. That’s what I’m afraid of and Pickett could be a restart for a 2-3 year plan. He’s framing it as finally having a QB to pick in the draft. 

Between that and the OC issue, he has an excuse for another year or two. Then add in that if the team wins 1-2 more games, he can claim improvement and that they are on schedule to turn things around after the QB and OC issues. On top of that, add in that Tepper seems sold on Rhule and wants to be proved right, he could easily get 4+ years.

3 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Can't read the article but I get the vibe that everyone sees the inevitable happening from these coaching departures, and random desperation hires

The coaches leaving is concerning. Disappointed in losing the secondary coach.

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, 1st down said:

I still don’t understand why an owner would give final say on personnel to someone who had zero experience on an NFL level. Guess I finally have to agree that Rhule is one of the biggest BS artists to ever get a head coaching job in the NFL. We are so fuged.

Why do we even have a GM?

• Beer 2

16 minutes ago, Camp Fodder said:

Tepper let Rhule pick a yes man, who from his end of the season presser tried to distance himself as much as possible without outright saying it. He mocked Rhule on the arm length thing, and then said he's available for input on OC hires if Rhule wants his opinion. Just a shitty backstabbing tanking lame duck situation at every level

9 hours ago, Camp Fodder said:

He basically fosters both pro and college scouting departments.  He gets his guys to prepare all the reports, offers his input, Rhule simply has final say.  It really seems like Fit has a vision when he talks that he wants to push into the fore but you can tell Rhule wins out.  He doesn't seem like a straight up yes man, more of a company man, playing his cards.

• Pie 2