• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albright: Panthers circling on Pickett

electro's horse

Im not convinced yet, but do have a little faith this is smoke. We’ve seen this off-season someone is forcing Rhule to make decent decisions like hiring actual NFL coaches instead of his buddies. If he has lost full authority with coaches, he may have also with personnel, and this could be Scott just building excitement for that pick. We know he loves to trade back, and if Pickett ends up the QB1 after the combine, and he’s there at 6, that pick has way more value. 

12 hours ago, Krovvy said:

True, but I honestly trusted Hurney at scouting compared to this front office.

Other than Will Grier he wasn't bad at finding quarterbacks.

Jimmy Clausen?  He wanted to trade up for Jimmy in 2010, which if he succeeded, would’ve been #1 overall in 2011.  Cam easily had the most talent in that QB draft class so that one was hard to miss after our historically inept 2010 offense.

but yeah, Hurney was great in the first round.  Cam was the only QB he hit on, though

True, but I honestly trusted Hurney at scouting compared to this front office.

Other than Will Grier he wasn't bad at finding quarterbacks.

Jimmy Clausen?  He wanted to trade up for Jimmy in 2010, which if he succeeded, would’ve been #1 overall in 2011.  Cam easily had the most talent in that QB draft class so that one was hard to miss after our historically inept 2010 offense.

but yeah, Hurney was great in the first round.  Cam was the only QB he hit on, though

2 hours ago, bigdog10 said:

I don’t necessarily think you were wrong about Mac at 3. I’ve read im a couple different spots that Shannahan was dead set on Mac but felt overwhelming pressure from his fan base and front office to take the freakish athleticism that Lance  provides. 

I don’t think it’s out of the question to say that Mac Jones on that niners team has them in the super bowl. 

If your coach or FO bows to overwhelming pressure from fans on a draft pick decision, they aren't going to be employed very long.

• Beer 1

Maybe I'm just at acceptance, but he does some things well. I think at worst we get a good backup quarterback. However, I hope the Panthers take the Arizona approach if that's the case. He really needs to learn to step up in the pocket though. 

Take a good backup at 6. LMAO

5 hours ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Pickett is a good prospect. He'd be a reach at #6, but the guy isn't some trash QB. He played at a very high level last year.

I love how some of the same people who are convinced Pickett is the next Ryan Leaf are out here acting like Sam Howell is a future hall of famer.

I think neither sir, they’re neither starting qbs in NFL!

1 hour ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Free agency should give us a good indication of how serious they are about Pickett. If we go out and sign a starting LT like Terron Armstead or Cam Robinson it'll all but confirm that we're going QB in the draft, and it certainly looks like Pickett is our guy if we do go QB.

I see everyone keep s saying Cam Robinson, buts it looks like he has some huge legal troubles now.

13 hours ago, Verge said:

Ehhh, I just think Rhule is incredibly bad at keeping secrets. When this comes from multiple angles (Myself, Albright, Florio) it becomes kind of hard to ignore. Smokescreens usually fall under less reputable people (referring to Flores and Albright, not me). There is also a history of it being obvious when they are going to take someone, Derrick Brown being the obvious. 

I do not we would trade down and take Pickett, they would just take him at 6.

There is a difference between keeping a secret for Derrick Brown, who we had a pretty good idea nobody else was taking before us and keeping a secret about a QB that multiple teams might be interest in.

2020 everyone expected Okuda, Young, and Burrow before us.  Most expected OT1 to go before us.  That leaves two spots and you also had Tua and Herbert in the draft, so Brown being there wasn't a surprise to anyone.  Maybe we did keep a secret, maybe we liked Herbert a lot and was hoping he fell.

2021 most smart people expected QB1, QB2, and QB3 to go before us.  Pitts and Chase were both considered elite prospects also expected to go before us.  That leaves three spots to us and from what everyone said we really liked Sewell and Horn.  Very safe to expect one of them to be there at 8.

10 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

He's great if you just want to attack the middle and right side of the field. Too bad this isn't college defense anymore. Whipple took 3 seasons to figure out how to scheme around Pickett's deficiencies. If Whipple were a head coach in the NFL, he wouldn't take Pickett.

I don’t understand the hate. Most scouts agree he is a first rounder. Maybe 6 is high, but he is still labeled as a first round draft pick at the QB position.