• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offseason finally here. Let's get down to business.

Zod

Anyway that makes sense.  These decisions can’t be made in a vacuum. Unfortunately, that seems to be what’s happened over the past few years. 

I am not okay with another Matt Kalil deal. 

draft bpa at a position of need. 

Edited by jbland
  • Pie 1

Our cap is actually crap now.  I'm not sure when that happened or how.  I remember earlier in the season looking at it and thinking, yea, we're in great shape for 2022 free agency.  But somehow, we now have only 17 million in cap room - good for 17th in the league.

That's barely enough room to fill the roster with actual players.  RIght now, player #22 on our roster (cap value) is Chuba.  Below him it's all JAGs and futures contracts.  We have no second or third round pick.

Somehow, we've managed to put ourselves in position to be even worse next year than this year.  It's an amazing accomplishment for Coach 1000.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 5

Let's make two lists. The first list can be all the Panthers FA OL acquisitions in the last decade that turned out to be good moves.

The second will be all the Panthers FA OL acquisitions that turned out to be bad or spending money just to tread water.

List one: Michael Oher....maybe

List two: Literally every other FA acquisition.

We just watched a Super Bowl in which the team leading at halftime was shut down in the 4th quarter due largely to their substandard Oline's inability to protect the QB when it mattered most.  The Bengals probably hit the Super Bowl a year before they expected to on the strength of outstanding young skill position players, but despite the Oline being the team's obvious weak link, and the fact they should have plenty of money to spend in FA because all that talent is on rookie deals, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that Cincy can't improve it's Oline this offseason through FA, only through the draft.

We're in the same boat except we don't have Joe Burrow, Joe Mixon and a bunch of outstanding receivers. We've got...

umm...

the guy who reportedly told Eli Apple he would never play in the NFL again when he cut him.

The only way to fix the Oline that has any reasonable chance of success is the draft, and we don't have the draft capital to do it in one offseason. Buckle up folks, it ain't gonna be fun for a while. The team gambled and lost on various trades, so here we sit with gaping problems and no real means to fix them any time soon. Embrace the suck, it's gonna be here a while.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

This is considered to b a great draft for offensive linemen.

So naturally, we won't get any of them 😕

Not gonna bother to go back and research it, but it feels like every time I've heard somebody say "this is a great draft for Position X", we've largely ignored Position X.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 4

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Can't help feeling that if we address the line via free agency, our top draft pick is gonna be a quarterback out of Pittsburgh.

(and I do believe we're going to try and go that route)

Just as it has speculated that Rhule was told to get some real NFL coaches I have to hope that he is not going to have full control of the roster.  That is a big wish I know.  Has Tepper seen the light and decided that hIs NFL people need to be making the big decisions?  Just trying to find a way to have some hope.

Edited by ladypanther
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2