• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let’s talk about Haason Reddick

ncfan

It’s officially the offseason so let’s talk about one of our biggest FA’s

Reddick was one of my favorite players this year.  And a major part of this defense’s success this year.

Reddick’s tag number will be roughly around 17 mil

to extend him will be 15-16 mil per bare minimum.

with us having 28 mil (roughly 8-10 will need to be used in Draft picks)

Reddick’s first 3 season’s combined, he had a total of 7.5 sack

His last year in Arizona.  He had 12.5 sacks,  but 5 came in 1 game.

Now Panthers related.  It is noted a big reason he came to Carolina, was his relationship with Rhule (his college coach).  He also played in the same defensive scheme at the same role as he did in college.  Under the same DC and HC in college.

Many here want Rhule gone.  Quite a few believe Rhule is a dead man walking.  And most believe he won’t make it to year 4.

Now.  Are you willing to hitch yourself to him long term to a big deal.  Knowing that Rhule and Snow most likely won’t be here with him beyond this year?

• Beer 1

IMO Reddick is outstanding when we paly odd fronts with him as our edge/OLB. He is not as good when we transition to even fronts with traditional LB responsibilities, but can hold his own most of the time. I'd like to bring him back, but i'm not sure he is worth the Price he would command. We have so many needs right now and so few draft picks that could  help fill them, that I'd think we have to be very judicious in Free Agency.

Edited by Michael G

I think he should walk. 

Need to get bigger up front. Teams ran all over us this season. Sign a low cost vet DE with some run stopping ability. Hope Gross-Matos develops. Probably should let Burns walk too. Can't win with tiny tweener DE's that can't stop the run.

• Pie 2

I think he is a really good player and with Burns they make up great parts for a 3-4 D. I'm fine with all of that and inking him to a good deal. Last year's failures on D was on Snow's scheme, not Burns and Reddick. The stand up 4-3 DE thing was an absolute failure conceptually. 

I don't know if he is willing to come back here at this time, we will see. I wouldn't blame him if he didn't.

As for the low cap, we got lots of dead weight we could clear up. Anderson's deal, last year's dud FA olinemen, CMC and Sam account for a lot of CAP we could clear up if we were savy...so lol I guess. We could but I kind of doubt they pull enough of that off. 

I'm fine with it depending on the contract. He is a good player and a good staff should be able to maximize what he does well. I'm more worried about this group spending that money on free agent people again this year.  

17 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Get the 3rd round comp pick and save the cap space. Reddick played great but again, was it a hot start for the whole D? First 3 games, 4.5 sacks, 6.5 sacks in first 5.

Tailed off a bit and had 0.5 sacks in his last 5 games. Those 5 games also had 3 games against the best two teams we played.

I remember a guy who started hot for us in 2020 and tailed off and we gave him a bunch more money to suck. I don’t think Reddick is worth the money in the OP considering we are at least 2 more seasons away from having an OL and QB to compete. We are already doling out $53M for 2022/2023 to Robby and Sam, is it worth adding another $40M (signing bonus up front) to that while we get 12 wins in 2022/2023?

I’m sure we’ll spend like a drunken sailer anyway because we’re only 1 guy away, but man it would be nice to stop throwing money away while we fight for 5 wins.

Most of the 3rd round picks are going to teams for minority hires. Not to mention, he’s a situational player in a 4 man front, or a liability if played too much. I don’t see him getting near a contract number that would garner a 3rd. 

Would I like to keep him and let him sign an extension? Absolutely. Would I rather see that 15-16 million go to a talented offensive linemen….no question. We will see a bigger impact by spending that money on the O line rather than him. We still have Burns, Fox, and Gross Matos who ended the season very strong and should be pushing for a starting role next year. Take the comp 3rd round pick and use it on a hot Molly 

Edited by WarPanthers89

28 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

We have too many needs to throw money at him. Let him walk with Gilmore and Jackson. We can look at OL, MLB, and FS in Free Agency while letting younger guys like Burns, YGM, Horn, and Henderson develop. 

Henderson will never develop because he don’t care about football. Wasted a 3rd pick, don’t like it now and hated it then.

8 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Henderson will never develop because he don’t care about football. Wasted a 3rd pick, don’t like it now and hated it then.

Yeah I read that rumor too, but he seemed eager to learn when we signed him. I haven’t written him off yet. He came in injured mid season. I think Horn will keep a fire lite under him and will see if he can put it all together this year or not. 

• Pie 1