• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers have reached out to Minnesota for Kirk Cousins

ncfan

5 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

Probably.  Denver, Washington, Pittsburg, and Houston are all teams probably considering a QB upgrade with more available cap than us.  Last thing I'd do is get in a bidding war.

I still believe our best option is to try to trade back, grab an OL and LB in rounds 1 and 2, and roll with Darnold for another year.  If everyone stays healthy (looking at you CMC), we may have a competitive season.  Then we draft our favorite QB next year when the class looks to be a little better.

I agree that our safest bet is probably going LT this year, but people need to be carefull with this idea of next year being a better option for QBs just because on paper it's a better class.

What if we are a bit more competitive like you stated and end up winning 8 games.  If we are drafting 13th it might not matter if the overall QB class is stronger next year.  At 6 this year we might get QB1, at 12-13 next year you might end up with QB 4 or 5.

At the end of the day there is risk either way, like you, barring a trade down, I'm leaning towards taking the best LT at 6, but i can see arguments on both sides.

• Pie 1

43 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I agree that our safest bet is probably going LT this year, but people need to be carefull with this idea of next year being a better option for QBs just because on paper it's a better class.

What if we are a bit more competitive like you stated and end up winning 8 games.  If we are drafting 13th it might not matter if the overall QB class is stronger next year.  At 6 this year we might get QB1, at 12-13 next year you might end up with QB 4 or 5.

At the end of the day there is risk either way, like you, barring a trade down, I'm leaning towards taking the best LT at 6, but i can see arguments on both sides.

I think CMC is the difference.  When he played, we were 4-3.  When he was out, we were 1-9.

With our defense and a healthy CMC, we can field a competitive team regardless of our QB shortcomings.

If CMC is hurt and misses half the season, we'll win 4-5 games and be picking in the top 5. Darnold will be gone and CMC will be cut.  We can get a good QB there and start out fresh with a new coach.

If he is healthy, our ceiling is probably 8 wins, which will put us picking around 10-14.  We can still get a good young QB in that range but none of the top 3. 

If we have to pick a QB this year, I hope we move back, pick up a second, and select Strong.  Give him a chance to sit and watch for a while and improve the OL with our first.  I think he will be successful when the new coaching regime arrives next year.

Why so much hate on cousins?? I would take him in a heartbeat. 

FYI Kirk cousins last 4 seasons has thrown a combined 124 TDs 36 ints 

Cam newton/ sam darnold Last 4 have thrown combined between the 2 of them 88 TDs 79 ints!! 50 of those pics were thrown by yours truly gun slinging sam. Are you kidding me!? This is a no brainer trade for kirk 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

57 minutes ago, Geronimo said:

Why so much hate on cousins?? I would take him in a heartbeat. 

FYI Kirk cousins last 4 seasons has thrown a combined 124 TDs 36 ints 

Cam newton/ sam darnold Last 4 have thrown combined between the 2 of them 88 TDs 79 ints!! 50 of those pics were thrown by yours truly gun slinging sam. Are you kidding me!? This is a no brainer trade for kirk 

Cousins will always put up good looking stats, but he doesn't help you get over a hump.  Look at Minny's record over those four years: 33-31-1, 1-1 in the playoffs.

How do you throw 124 TDs and only win 33 games?  

I was listening to the Locked On Panthers show when they had a dude from Minnesota come on and talk Cousins.  He was not very high on him.  The long and short of it is that Cousins wants to get paid and he doesn't care how that hurts a team.  He's going to put up great stats, but when you need him to make a play, he's going to check down.  

With our shoddy OL, I'd rather not have to trade first for Cousins when we already know that he's a short term bandaid.  For what?  Keeping Rhule in a job?  No thanks.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, d-dave said:

Cousins will always put up good looking stats, but he doesn't help you get over a hump.  Look at Minny's record over those four years: 33-31-1, 1-1 in the playoffs.

I was listening to the Locked On Panthers show when they had a dude from Minnesota come on and talk Cousins.  He was not very high on him.  The long and short of it is that Cousins wants to get paid and he doesn't care how that hurts a team.  He's going to put up great stats, but when you need him to make a play, he's going to check down.  

With our shoddy OL, I'd rather not have to trade first for Cousins when we already know that he's a short term bandaid.  For what?  Keeping Rhule in a job?  No thanks.

I think Kirk gets a bad rap.  He is put into a position similar to what Matt Stafford used to be put into with Detroit, where he has to constantly drop 30+ points a game just to have a chance at winning in many weeks.  In 2021 the Vikings lost 9 games.  The opposing team scored 30 or more points in 5 of those losses.  Kirk had the team within 1 score in all of those games except for one.  There were 2 other losses where the other team put up 27 and 29 points, and Kirk had them within a field goal at the end.  Kirk dropped 30+ points on 7 different teams.

In 2020 it was more of the same.  Kirk dropped 30+ points on 5 different opponents, and he scored 27 or more in 10 different games.  He didn't have a single digit scoring game.  His opponents scored 30+ in 7 different games, with 2 of those being 40 burgers and they even had a 50 burger dropped on them.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, d-dave said:

That's ridiculous! If we had Kirk Cousins perform like he has the last few years, we would be in the playoffs! The reason Minnesota is 33-31-1 is because their defense sucks!!! Look at this chart for 2021 NFL Total Defense. Last year Carolina was ranked 2nd!!!  Minnesota was ranked 30th!!!! 

NFL Total Defense 2021.jpg

• Pie 1

48 minutes ago, d-dave said:

Almost like there is A LOT more that goes into winning football games besides just having a QB who puts up good numbers?  Who knew?

28 minutes ago, Louie said:

That's ridiculous! If we had Kirk Cousins perform like he has the last few years, we would be in the playoffs! The reason Minnesota is 33-31-1 is because their defense sucks!!! Look at this chart for 2021 NFL Total Defense. Last year Carolina was ranked 2nd!!!  Minnesota was ranked 30th!!!! 

NFL Total Defense 2021.jpg

Dude.  Cut it out.  Don't you know that NFL teams wins and losses are solely on the QB?  

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

7 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Ian Rappaport > some former writer for the minnesota tribune from 2 years ago

Yes he is, but Rapoport's comments were only speculation.

Sources have confirmed the call in question did occur. The question now is whether anything meaningful comes of it.

Rapoport believes nothing will, and he could be right.

It's not guaranteed though.