• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Straight up Yes or No: Do you want the Panthers to Trade for Deshaun Watson? If we do, will you still be a fan?

Ricky Spanish

Watson Poll  

246 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the Panthers to trade for Watson?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will you still be a Panther Fan if we trade for Watson?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Panthers8969 said:

How woke of you. Here’s your award for best moral conscience: 

also lol, you’re a GOT fan? You know how much fuged up poo happens in that show? Yet you still watched? Hmmm

It's a make believe tv show, seriously? And thanks for proving how most can justify or dismiss such behavior because they happen to like the offender.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

How woke of you. Here’s your award for best moral conscience: 

also lol, you’re a GOT fan? You know how much fuged up poo happens in that show? Yet you still watched? Hmmm

Man, I love it when I find the stupidest thing on the internet early on. Kinda frees up the day.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 4

49 minutes ago, hepcat said:

It's a monumentally horrible decision on many levels that have been discussed ad nauseam on this forum. 

It's been said desperate times call for desperate measures.

I would rather make smart, long-term moves that build us up with a championship roster in the future and I suppose as much as I loathe them the Patriot/Belichick way makes a lot of sense.

I thought we were supposed to be an organization of class, and while I know we have more than our share of skeletons in the closet, a quarterback with this many problems shouldn't be allowed to play until the legal stuff is fully sorted out and it becomes apparent Watson has moved on from whatever issues he has that causes him to behave this way.

If it happens, I cannot support the Panthers so long as he is qb and Rhule is coach.

I'm still not sure I trust Fitterer and Tepper gives me every indication of someone not really caring about the franchise beyond someone who made an investment.

I'd rather be owned by someone who cared about our best interest.

Dundon has made mistakes, Kaiton and Forslund being the worst, but at least he has significantly improved the 'Canes.

I cannot say the same for anyone in the Panthers' FO right now.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It's a make believe tv show, seriously? And thanks for proving how most can justify or dismiss such behavior because they happen to like the offender.

A make believe tv show that subliminally pushes many evil themes. I would think someone with such a superior morality would be protesting HBO to have it banned from US media. Just like I’m sure you’ve spent all these years pushing for Ben to be arrested? Oh no? All you’re doing is threatening to abandon a team if they trade for a player lol. Sounds like you don’t actually care at all. If you did you’d be taking material actions - trying to help us victims, digging for proof, something. Nope, none of that, bc you actually don’t care as much as you want people to believe. Morality pissing contest on an internet message board, nice 

I’m not gonna vote on this because my take on this is a lot more nuanced than a simple yes or no question. I’m a Clemson fan. My freshman year at Clemson was Deshaun’s freshman year. I watched him lead the Tigers to their best ever season at the time, and win a national championship. So, obviously, I’ve seen what he can do with a football firsthand. 

Having said that, I was always that person who said “I have no idea how people can root for Ben Roethlisberger, given what he was accused of.” I am not a fan of being put in that same situation here. I do not want to have to couch my fandom in “well he wasn’t technically convicted” or any related argument. It just feels so slimy.

There is no doubt that from a football perspective, he improves the team. Does that make the Panthers an instant contender? Depends on the other offseason moves. But I don’t like the prospect of having reservations on rooting for my hometown team that I’ve grown up with.

Ultimately, I have no say in whether he gets traded for or not. Will I stop being a fan IF he is not proven guilty of anything and we sign him? Probably not. Am I going to go buy his jersey? Absolutely not. I suppose we’ll just have to wait and see how it unfolds.

Edit: I say this all on the foundation that if he is proven guilty even a singular case of what he's been accused of, the fug him and he can go rot.

Edited by travisura
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

37 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Since this is mostly directed at me let me be the one to set the record straight.  The Panthers could win the next 10 SB's and I still would not be a fan or watch a single game if Watson is on the team.   Is that clear enough for you?

The Hornets fans turned on George Shinn over similar social concerns and abandoned the team...

...went from perennial NBA attendance leaders to playing in an empty arena...

...owners moved the team.  

Signing Mr. Whip-It-Out is the only thing I can envision that would put the Panthers on a path that leads to an exit from Charloot...

1 minute ago, travisura said:

I’m not gonna vote on this because my take on this is a lot more nuanced than a simple yes or no question. I’m a Clemson fan. My freshman year was Deshaun’s freshman year. I watched him lead the Tigers to their best ever season at the time, and win a national championship. So, obviously, I’ve seen what he can do with a football firsthand. 

Having said that, I was always that person who said “I have no idea how people can root for Ben Roethlisberger, given what he was accused of.” I am not a fan of being put in that same situation here. I do not want to have to couch my fandom in “well he wasn’t technically convicted” or any related argument. It just feels so slimy.

There is no doubt that from a football perspective, he improves the team. Does that make the Panthers an instant contender? Depends on the other offseason moves. But I don’t like the prospect of having reservations on rooting for my hometown team that I’ve grown up with.

Ultimately, I have no say in whether he gets traded for or not. Will I stop being a fan IF he is not proven guilty of anything and we sign him? Probably not. Am I going to go buy his jersey? Absolutely not. I suppose we’ll just have to wait and see how it unfolds.

So that's a NO.

No, and yes I'd stop being a fan.

It's taken a lot for me to even think of a statement like that. I've been through a lot of dark times with this franchise and it's never shaken my fandom. But the crashing waves of bad decisions, one after the other have really worn me down, and that trade would probably push me over the edge.

Not forever, but my fandom would be on pause. I wouldn't watch. I wouldn't wear any Panthers kit in public, and I certainly wouldn't spend a penny on their merch. At that point, I wouldn't feel good about the team, the players, the leadership, or the trajectory of the team. So what, exactly, would I be rooting for? The color scheme?

I'd come back when the offending player was gone, and the horrific fallout of mortgaging our future on him wasn't so obvious. It would be a while.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Panthers8969 said:

A make believe tv show that subliminally pushes many evil themes. I would think someone with such a superior morality would be protesting HBO to have it banned from US media. Just like I’m sure you’ve spent all these years pushing for Ben to be arrested? Oh no? All you’re doing is threatening to abandon a team if they trade for a player lol. Sounds like you don’t actually care at all. If you did you’d be taking material actions - trying to help us victims, digging for proof, something. Nope, none of that, bc you actually don’t care as much as you want people to believe. Morality pissing contest on an internet message board, nice 

Nice try but no cigar.  You've obviously missed the entire premise of the book and the character from the tv series I chose for my avater.  Does that character represent everything about me? Hell no!  But keep trying to justify it.

As you obviously have no moral convictions about who represents the team you follow I can only imagine how you dismiss this actions of the people around you. 

From the football side:

It makes no sense to trade what it would take to acquire him while we're in a rebuilding state.

From the moral side:

If he's guilty of even a portion of the things that he's accused of, he's not someone worthy of cheering for.

From the PR side:

Making someone with this kind of profile the face of your franchise, especially in light of both what happened with Jerry Richardson and the promises made by David Tepper, would be extremely detrimental, not to mention hypocritical.

From the practical side:

Only an idiot would make a trade like this while he still has all of these legal issues hanging over him.

From the personal side:

Having known and cared for women who have been victims of things like harassment, sexual assault, rape and other forms of victimization (sadly, including Lady Cowboy Fan) I cannot in good conscience support something like this.

Don't think I could make this any clearer...

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

No, I don’t want the trade because I don’t think it will help push us through to contender status. This is mainly because I believe we’d have to give up too much to acquire him and his huge cap number would make it tight to bring in help. 

Yes, I would still be a fan of the Panthers. I don’t know all the facts of his situation or the outcome of  it. Once that’s all out and finished, I may change my mind. I just see it as difficult to change allegiances especially when I primarily root for NC teams and don’t have another option there. 

Edited by ECHornet
  • Pie 2