• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

There should be no issue with Watson waiving his trade clause per ESPN.

NCTHFL0567

I just want this crap to be over. Whether he comes to us or some other team I wants this Watson trade to happen to we can stop talking about it. 
Unless he is on our team the I guess the complaining won’t stop. 
I hope we don’t end up in a situation where Watson is carrying Rhules butt. We still need a new coach. 

• Beer 1

41 minutes ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

I’m telling you, Cam Newton is going to play a role in this if it comes to pass. He will 100% be Watsons backup and may even be helping pitch the idea of Carolina to him. 

This will not happen.  We already have 18 million on the books for a backup QB.  You don't get to add 35 more for Deshaun and still sign Cam.  That would be a truly masterful way to completely throw the team in the toilet. 

We paid Cam what, $6 million for half a season last year?  Would he suddenly take four million for a full season with NO CHANCE to play?  Come on man, have you followed Cam?  He wants to play.  With Deshaun here he would offer us literally nothing.

Not to mention our other needs!

Our OLine was historically awful.  Taking on Watson's contract effectively means we have ZERO cap remaining.  Oh, and we just gave up our chance to fix it this year in the draft.

We need a franchise QB.  I'm just not sure the asking price is one we can pay while getting the best out of our team.  Burns is surely gone.  Reddick is gone.  Gilmore.  Jackson.  DJ's extension would be that much harder.

We could easily win a few more games next year with Watson - but we wouldn't be a better team.  We'd waste the best years of our franchise QB's career trying to build a team around him.  Getting your hands on a franchise QB in this fashion won't get you to the SB.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, BrianS said:

This will not happen.  We already have 18 million on the books for a backup QB.  You don't get to add 35 more for Deshaun and still sign Cam.  That would be a truly masterful way to completely throw the team in the toilet. 

We paid Cam what, $6 million for half a season last year?  Would he suddenly take four million for a full season with NO CHANCE to play?  Come on man, have you followed Cam?  He wants to play.  With Deshaun here he would offer us literally nothing.

Not to mention our other needs!

Our OLine was historically awful.  Taking on Watson's contract effectively means we have ZERO cap remaining.  Oh, and we just gave up our chance to fix it this year in the draft.

We need a franchise QB.  I'm just not sure the asking price is one we can pay while getting the best out of our team.  Burns is surely gone.  Reddick is gone.  Gilmore.  Jackson.  DJ's extension would be that much harder.

We could easily win a few more games next year with Watson - but we wouldn't be a better team.  We'd waste the best years of our franchise QB's career trying to build a team around him.  Getting your hands on a franchise QB in this fashion won't get you to the SB.

That was a lot of text and nonsensical rambling. Cam is one of Deshauns mentors. 

3 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Why? Where is the incentive for the Texans to do that? The NFL is not like the NBA where you have to match salaries.

in some cases to make the deal happen... If Texans have the cap space to take on SD in the deal and we throw in a 4th for them to eat it, then they would agree to it. Thus freeing more space for us this FA.

Regardless, I expect us to ship SD somewehre if the deal goes through

Edited by TheCasillas

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

in some cases to make the deal happen... If Texans have the cap space to take on SD in the deal and we throw in a 4th for them to eat it, then they would agree to it. Thus freeing more space for us this FA.

With that cap hit and as bad as Darnold is, would you do that if you were the Texans? Especially with how desperate the Panthers are?

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

With that cap hit and as bad as Darnold is, would you do that if you were the Texans? Especially with how desperate the Panthers are?

Yes if I wanted to get the deal done. That's how this stuff works. Look at the Rams and Lions trade last year.... they had to include goff in the deal for cap reasons to make it happen, and Rams gave up an extra pick to pull it off.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1

12 minutes ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

That was a lot of text and nonsensical rambling. Cam is one of Deshauns mentors. 

No, those are solid reasons why Cam will not be part of our team next year.  Your only "reason" is because of an existing relationship.  Mine involve thinking critically about the team and situation.  

• Beer 1