• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Defense may be decimated

Jmac

1 minute ago, PhillyB said:

last year we were the number two ranked defense.

burns and chinn's production was marginal at best and can easily be replaced in free agency without a dropoff (again, based on what their production last year contributed to the unit as a whole.)

bouye is a JAG.

horn is returning, effectively negating the loss of either gilmore or jackson.

so at most assuming we draft or sign comparable players production wise (won't be hard) we're at worst down a CB.

really not as big of a deal as folks are suggesting.

Okay. We'll see. If we go through with this trade I'll be shocked if we aren't a bottom 10 D and I'd honestly expect bottom 5.

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

He's going from bad to worse in every way imaginable from a football perspective.  But somehow it's going to be better here?

I can't wait to see how this works out Tepper.

that 70s show lol GIF by IFC

I've never seen this level of desperation in the NFL. He didn't learn anything from going all in on Rhule because he's tripling down on Watson. He went from one shiny object to another. 😆

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Shocker said:

The Panthers finished #2 on defense and Houston finished #31.   Basically swapping those with the trade

#2 in what? fuging yards? Point per game is the only thing that matters and we were below average in that category. 

We could not stop the run to save our lives. 

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Pie 3

I think the Panthers may have learned the hard way that it's more important by a wide margin to build an offense first.  It really doesn't matter how good your D is if they have to stay on the field all game.  Also we had big time problems stopping the run because we're obsessed with tweeners on the edge.  If you take a look at any "defensive" team that won the SB it's because they had a nasty Oline and could control the football.  Any D is gonna suck and have massive injuries if you're offense is consistently 3& out.  The best D is a good O, and if we have to gut the D to bring in the hogs then so be it. 

The biggest mark of a good D is being able to force the 3 and out when the other team is trying to run the clock out.  We could not stop it last year.  We could not get the clutch stops, so I don't care what their stats say.  I wrote a thread last year about the problem with our obsession with positionless players on D. 

Maybe they're coming to their senses.

Edited by TheMaulClaw
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Okay. We'll see. If we go through with this trade I'll be shocked if we aren't a bottom 10 D and I'd honestly expect bottom 5.

could be, but it seems most likely there'll be a modest dropoff in defensive production and a big jump offensively. hell, maybe they'll look better when they're not being asked to protect a three point sam darnold lead and dopey turnovers 

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I've never seen this level of desperation in the NFL. He didn't learn anything from going all in on Rhule because he's tripling down on Watson. He went from one shiny object to another. 😆

I'm afraid this is only the beginning with Tepper.  Hey, if he can't build a winner he will try to buy one at least. The could lend itself to endless laughs at least. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Super Bowl? The Texans only won a single playoff game with Watson.

Sweet now take away Watt, Hopkins, any first-third round picks they drafted and give them a worse coach. Also I’m pretty sure they had one of the biggest choke jobs by letting the Chiefs make one if the biggest playoff comebacks in NFL history against them.  Who needs a defense??

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm afraid this is only the beginning with Tepper.  Hey, if he can't build a winner he will try to buy one at least. The could lend itself to endless laughs at least. 

At least when we have sucked in the past, I could get excited about the draft half way through the season. Now, if we trade away all of our draft assets and lose half of our defense, its gonna get completely boring by the time October rolls around lol

• Beer 1

Just now, TheMostInterestingMan said:

At least when we have sucked in the past, I could get excited about the draft half way through the season. Now, if we trade away all of our draft assets and lose half of our defense, its gonna get completely boring by the time October rolls around lol

Nah, there will be other laughter to be had at this organizations expense.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

#2 in what? fuging yards? Point per game is the only thing that matters and we were below average in that category. 

We could not stop the run to save our lives. 

Yes you cant be a top 2 d if you cant stop the run.  Every time a team needed a score against us they got one.   

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1