• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Watson Thread - Part Deux

Zod

1 minute ago, Murph said:

I’m confused. Last week didn’t a poll here show 70% of the Huddle didn’t want this guy? Why so much excitement?

Because he's a top 6 QB that is a franchise QB. I think people will come around when we start winning games and going to the playoffs!!!

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Forget the off-field stuff. Forget the will we or won't we stuff.

Real talk... is Watson actually good enough to warrant the type of trade bounty that we're talking about? He's had one great year when his team went 4-12. When the Texans we're actually competitive he was basically being used on a high level game manager type of role. We've never seen Watson in a situation where he's being asked to play like an MVP level QB on a competitive team, yet we're falling all over ourselves to gut the franchise to get him.

Is this actually a smart bet from a pure football perspective?

I'm not trying to argue that Watson isn't good. He's damn good. But is he top 5 NFL QB good? Nothing I've seen from him makes me confident in saying that. Not with guys like Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Wilson, etc., etc. out there. I think you're gutting the franchise for likely the 7th or 8th best QB in the league. Yikes.

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Real talk... is Watson actually good enough to warrant the type of trade bounty that we're talking about? He's had one great year when his team went 4-12. When the Texans we're actually competitive he was basically being used on a high level game manager type of role. We've never seen Watson in a situation where he's being asked to play like an MVP level QB on a competitive team, yet we're falling all over ourselves to gut the franchise to get him.

I'm not trying to argue that Watson isn't good. He's damn good. But is he top 5 NFL QB good? Nothing I've seen from him makes me confident in saying that. Not with guys like Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Wilson, etc., etc. out there. I think you're gutting the franchise for likely the 7th or 8th best QB in the league. Yikes.

The Panthers backed themselves into this corner, sadly.

Even if Herbert wasn't drafted. They could've tanked the year without Bridgewater. Started awful ass Will Grier and ended up with 1 win at best. Maybe even zero wins. Then you get Lawrence, then you sign a vet to mentor him/start over him. But nope. They went for the easy fix.

Me personally? It's a lot to give up for a QB. But as the past few SB's have shown us. If you can get a QB, and build around that QB, or have a good-great team around that QB. You can win a SB. 

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

To me the real question is why is he worth more than Stafford or Wilson? Both those QB's now have a ring and have played at an elite level for years. 

So what makes Watson worth more in trade value? I honestly can't wrap my head around that.

• Beer 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

To me the real question is why is he worth more than Stafford or Wilson? Both those QB's now have a ring and have played at an elite level for years. 

So what makes Watson worth more in trade value? I honestly can't wrap my head around that.

He’s 26. That’s why.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, Murph said:

I’m confused. Last week didn’t a poll here show 70% of the Huddle didn’t want this guy? Why so much excitement?

It wasn’t exactly a scientific poll. If you could create an alt or unlimited alts then one could vote as many times as they liked or disliked…

• Pie 1