• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield

hepcat

Just now, PandaMan said:

Sam Darnold threw 26 TDs and 8 picks in a season?  People are too harsh on Baker.  Coaches should’ve shut him down when it was clear the injury was hampering him.  Sounds familiar… 🤔 

He also threw for 22 and 21 one time lol, him coming to an even worse situation will make him even worse

I never understood why teams don't take the Cousins route here. Let him play on the option and tag him once or twice. That roster can win in the playoff with Baker at those costs, he is good enough for that. But not with him at top tier money that he probably think he deserves.

Sure he will not like it and might even threaten hold out. But does anyone actually think he will sit out when the games start?

Add a Fitzpatrick/Heinicke type gunslinger as at backup and Baker knows he loses the team and city the first Sunday if the backup balls out.

What is the downside, bad press? We all know winning cures that. He balls out, gets to the SB and demands $50M? I think I take that "problem"

I know it is not this simple when humans are involved, to but I'm still surprised this almost never happens.

The Browns bridge to him is now burned. He’s not suiting up for them again. Use that as leverage to make them take Darnold and something like a 2023 5th round pick for him. His market won’t be that strong and we could do what we SHOULD have done with Darnold….play him one year and if he’s worth it resign him. 

However…Really thinking Watson can’t see the forest for the trees in that situation if the Browns are that strong.

Edited by unicar15

If he's still out there after a week, I'd at least kick the tires and see what we could get him for. He'd need to be released, though, rather than traded for.

He's played pretty well in Cleveland, something that no one else has done for a long time. He did a lot to break their curse there, but he got pushed to play while injured last season.

We could do a lot worse. Honestly, I'd rather see him here than Watson. Mayfield didn't throw his team under the bus like Watson did. That means a lot to the fans and the team mates.

• Pie 1

Yes. I dont hold this past season against him. He really should have been IRd but gutted it out and played through it like Cam in 18. That sells with your team. He would immediately be the best QB we've fielded in 7 years.

If DW does chose NO draft a LT at 6, sign Bakers old center and this is a playoff team.

Leverage is gone for Cleveland and he's in the last year of his deal so we're looking at a fairly cheap option. 

I'm not parting with anything higher than a 4th next year or 5th this year. Ideally you swap Darnold/Baker plus a pick. 

My only hesitancy would be that he's due for a contract next season and whether he's going to want Josh Allen money or Kirk Cousins money remain to be seen. Could always go the franchise tag route for a couple seasons.

Worst case, he flames out or gets injured and we're picking top 10 again and trade the same picks we would have to draft a rookie next year.