• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Armstead is between Chicago, Miami, and Carolina.

TheSpecialJuan

13 hours ago, carpanfan96 said:

What fa qb is worth a 3 year deal???? Gonna draft him a rookie to get an extra year. 😂🤣😂

You have heard of optional and voidable years, correct?  We sign a FA QB for this season (year 1).  Draft a QB next year and if the rookie isn't game ready some or all of the season we have the fall back veteran (year 2).  If the the rookie rookie is ready to go in his second year we can either cut or demote FA QB to backup (optional year 3). 

I guess you are content to just keep giving PJ Walker one-year contracts.

41 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

You have heard of optional and voidable years, correct?  We sign a FA QB for this season (year 1).  Draft a QB next year and if the rookie isn't game ready some or all of the season we have the fall back veteran (year 2).  If the the rookie rookie is ready to go in his second year we can either cut or demote FA QB to backup (optional year 3). 

I guess you are content to just keep giving PJ Walker one-year contracts.

I'm pretty sure they drafting a qb, most likely Pickett...hopefully not him though and having Sam as the backup this season. Next season is a completely new ballgame depending on how this year goes.

9 hours ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

If they get Armstead, I will be really really optimistic. You literally fixed the 0-line in one off season. Get a QB now and...shoooooot. 

Armstead made about 13 million this year. It will probably take 15 to 20 million a year to sign him. Too much when he missed some games. We are much better off to draft a tackle. 

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, Pakmeng said:

He wasn't released. He's a FA and they want him back but are cap constrained.

https://www.nfl.com/news/terron-armstead-not-closing-door-on-nola-return-i-don-t-want-to-rule-out-the-sai

Released or not, he's either too rich for their blood right now or there's a knock on him that we don't know about. Both are possibilities, both are things we don't need during a rebuild.

31 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Released or not, he's either too rich for their blood right now or there's a knock on him that we don't know about. Both are possibilities, both are things we don't need during a rebuild.

He is a FA but due to the Saints restructuring him last year to make cap room they have a $13 million dollar dead cap hit even if he leaves.

53 minutes ago, Pazhoosier89 said:

He is a FA but due to the Saints restructuring him last year to make cap room they have a $13 million dollar dead cap hit even if he leaves.

And there's the rub... even getting hit with that dead cap money still on the table... they let him go. I'm not saying there's a hidden injury or just the slow downs that come with age, but New Orleans has been masterful at gaming the cap system for years. There may be a reason they didn't do some of their cap voodoo in this case.

Or he could be physically fine, just financially expensive. 

Me, I just think the money could be better spent elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

And there's the rub... even getting hit with that dead cap money still on the table... they let him go. I'm not saying there's a hidden injury or just the slow downs that come with age, but New Orleans has been masterful at gaming the cap system for years. There may be a reason they didn't do some of their cap voodoo in this case.

Or he could be physically fine, just financially expensive. 

Me, I just think the money could be better spent elsewhere.

The $13 million is on the books even if they decided to resign him. You can't restructure dead money. I think its as simple as they wouldn't want $33 million tied to one single player. He does have an injury history though so buyer beware.

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, Stuart Smith said:

Armstead made about 13 million this year. It will probably take 15 to 20 million a year to sign him. Too much when he missed some games. We are much better off to draft a tackle. 

If we had a 2nd round pick then we'd get a T in the 1st and a QB in the second unfortunately we do not have that option. The team is literally a QB and LT away from at least being competitive. Armstead is the best T out there right now regardless of how much he played. If they can get a performance based contract or have verbiage that will mitigate a future injury, then you could get a top tackle and then just get a QB. 

The options are limited, I know it's because of their own doing but they are doing a great job at trying to fix things in one off season. 

Also, seems like the Bears are out of the running.