• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers after Duane Brown

Mr. Scot

43 minutes ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

Think they're setting themselves up for BPA here. At 36 Brown clearly isn't the long term answer but if one of the top 3 OT fall you take them, kick them inside st LG for a year or 2 and run over every single team in the league. 

If the top 3 are all gone you've got your pick of a QB or either of the two DEs and still have a capable LT on opening day without having to rely on the unknown of BC. 

Id prefer Amrstead but wouldn't hate this signing if the money is right.

Andrew Whitworth is 40 and just won a Super Bowl. We could have signed him when we went all in on Matt Khalil all those years ago. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Panther'sBigD said:

Andrew Whitworth is 40 and just won a Super Bowl. We could have signed him when we went all in on Matt Khalil all those years ago. 

Don't disagree. Kalil signing was bad on the surface and only got worse. 

Whitworth turned 40 in December. Brown will be 37 by the start of preseason. 2 year deal like I mentioned above be about all I was comfortable with. Even still I'd still take a LT at 6.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Panther'sBigD said:

Not sure if whitworth wanted to come here back then. Also whitworth is the exception to the rule. Still played at a high level at age 40. Super rare. Duane is nowhere close to the same as he was when he was younger. Allowing 8 sacks last year tied for 6th most.

The other tackle we’re connected to is Eric fischer. Fischer was bad last year but he was also recovering from multiple surgeries (including an Achilles which is a bad injury for a big guy) and is younger. Roll of the dice which one can be better. I’m leaning towards Fischer recovering and playing better but idk. I think Duane has a higher probability of continuing to be bad as he gets older then Fischer regaining some form.

• Pie 1

I'm actually okay with this. Especially if he is there to start while a draft pick is groomed. If they can squeeze a year or two of solid play out of him that'd be chalked up to a smart, forward thinking move. 

Wow, where was this last off-season?

Edited by ImaginaryKev
  • Pie 1

The Panthers have sent everyone to the top 3 QB pro  days--I think Ridder and Howell will be next week---it will be interesting to see if we attend those.

I watched enough of the Corral pro day today--damn that is one quick release--and could see how some may have him as the top QB.

I am not seeing this as a weak group---maybe they don't WOW us with the crazy athleticism or the National Championship Series appearances, but is Wilson any better than Willis?  Is Fields that much better than Corral?  Is Mac Jones any better than Pickett? 

• Pie 3

21 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We've looked pretty heavily into free agent left tackles.

Gotta believe they want to draft a QB.

It's looking that way.  Honestly does Rhule have any options left? It's looking like he's not going to get a vet qb to bail him out so he's left with the draft. He may buy himself another year with a rookie draft pick.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1