• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Free Agency Re-Cap and grading

Zod

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

That’s just football. 

One hilarious thing that we discovered during the Watson chase…… all fandom and forums are the exact same. It’s amazing how similiar each franchise’s fans think and post on message boards.

This has always been true,,  the teams that win, their message boards complain about how some one stood on the sideline, or dressed,,   while the 70 % of the teams that lose often have message boards where ever poster thinks he can coach, knows what's "really" going on behind the scene , etc ..  

30 minutes ago, gofightwin said:

We also resigned Ian Thomas...didn't like it when the did and easily the worst grade FA now.  No one would have signed him for what we did.  

You should take a look at the other deals FA tight ends have signed. It has been an expensive market. I thought it was a huge overpay at first, but in hindsight, it ended up being about the going rate in FA. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Zod said:

Here we are after a week of free agency. IMO, the Carolina Panthers improved their roster by a good amount. 

Picking up two new good starters on the offensive line has to be the top story so far. The right side of the line now looks as good as it ever has. A LT is still needed as Brady Christensen is likely playing left guard this season. 

Signing D'Onta Foreman makes a CMC trade more likely, imo. Foreman is a starting caliber RB in this league. 

Locking up DJ Moore, who could be an elite WR in this league if ever given a good QB was a solid move. 

Reddick is gone, but Luvu and Haynes are back. Both these guys have an insane motor. While they may not hit Reddick numbers, the drop off isn't as much as you would think. 

I really like the Xavier Woods signing. Woods showed his potential with the Vikings last season after having an up and down career with the cowboys. 

Sleeper move is the Matt Ioannidis signing. Getting pressure on the QB from the middle of the defensive line has been lacking for the Panthers. This move will make Brian Burns job easier. 

Here is a recap of what all transpired:

• Agreed to terms with LB Cory Littleton
  • Agreed to terms with CB Donte Jackson
  • Signed WR DJ Moore to contract extension
  • Signed G/C Bradley Bozeman
  • Agreed to terms with P Johnny Hekker
  • Agreed to terms with DT Matt Ioannidis
  • Agreed to terms with LB Damien Wilson
  • Agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent G Austin Corbett
  • Agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent RB D'Onta Foreman
  • Agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent S Xavier Woods
  • Agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent WR Rashard Higgins
  • Released DE Morgan Fox
  • Re-signed WR Brandon Zylstra
  • Re-signed DE Marquis Haynes Sr.
  • Re-signed S Sean Chandler
  • Released CB A.J. Bouye
  • Re-signed K Zane Gonzalez

So, if you had to grade week 1 what would you give it? 

Personally, I think it is a solid B. Still need a LT or QB. 

Agree with a solid B. If we do not trade CMC it will be interesting to see him behind a solid offensive line. One of the biggest upgrades not mentioned would appear to be upgrades in the coaching staff. It remains to be seen, but we might have a coaching staff who knows how to make halftime adjustments. 

• Pie 1

36 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

You should take a look at the other deals FA tight ends have signed. It has been an expensive market. I thought it was a huge overpay at first, but in hindsight, it ended up being about the going rate in FA. 

Then we should have spent the money on someone who can be a 3 down starter not someone that maxed at 53 snaps.  

• Pie 1

I'd give it a B+.  I can understand the A- grade.  I'm not concerned about signing a QB by this point.  Our OL looks better on paper, but we've seen that before and I want to see them on the field before I call that a success.  Getting a LT a #6 would be big.

The Ian Thomas signing is the only dirty look I can give it.  I get that the TE market has been inflated, which makes me question resigning him all the more.   I actually thought Thomas would step up after Olsen left, but that never happened and it left a bad taste with me. 

Part of my optimism is probably an increase in NFL experience on our coaching staff.  That could actually improve things across the board.

But, I am from Missouri.....the Show Me state.  All these guys need to show me before I will buy in.  I'm not ready to proclaim we are Superb Owl bound rather than the Super Bowel alternative.

2 hours ago, KeepPounding5859 said:

You put Bozeman at center.  He was nearly elite.  You don't bring a guy in to do what he does 2nd best.  Keep your strengths strong and go from there.  Patty is merily veteran depth at this point, which is just fine.  They will either draft a LG or look at someone else when releases shake out.  I still have a sneaky feeling that we may be looking at a pass rusher at #6 depending on how the board falls.

That is what I or you would do based solely on the player, but when the rubber hits the road, you put your best five on the field.  If you put Bozeman at C, you have no LG.  this is why we need 1 more starting OL, in my opinion.  Elf to the bench.

4 hours ago, Zod said:

Signing D'Onta Foreman makes a CMC trade more likely, imo. Foreman is a starting caliber RB in this league. 

If they manage to pick up another first round pick by trading McCaffrey or some other unknown means, I'll be firmly of the belief that our first pick will be a quarterback.

The second first rounder would likely be used on an offensive lineman, maybe Trevor Penning or someone like that.

I think Fitterer realizes that football is primarily a year to year exercise with much of the team outside of your key components. SO much happens via injury and performance YOY that maintaining as much flexibility as possible is most important. Players are responding to these short deals also. The fact we are generally excited about so many of the guys we got and they are ON 1-year deals proves that point. 

1 hour ago, Smittymoose said:

I think we will draft TE Krull from Pitt on day 3 of the draft because I will assume they have watched a lot of Pickett film--