• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I met Mick Mixon Today

Admiral Ackbar

18 hours ago, Admiral Ackbar said:

Maybe not the burning headline that would excite an ordinary Panthers fan. But when I realized who he was, standing beside his car at a small town gas station, waiting on his wife, I filled with joy.

As I stood there I instantly time traveled back some 20 years ago listening to a Panthers game. See for me, listening to the Panthers on the radio meant EVERYTHING. I grew up in a religious household like most in the south. Which meant that church ran late and since my parents were active members it mostly resulted in them staying well after the service ended. Of course we also had to eat lunch as a family, most times away form the house and that meant getting home well after the 1pm kickoff time.

I relied on Mick to get me through the 20 minute car ride back home, lunch at the local diner, and a screaming sister beside me in the car. Many times for lunch, I wouldn't eat. I would just set in the car refusing to miss a second of the game, NOT ONE SECOND will be missed! 

So with me sitting in the car alone, sitting in the church parking lot or wherever my family decided to be on Sunday, besides at home watching the game, Mick was right there with me. It oddly became a friendship for me, one that he knew nothing about. To me, Carolina Panthers football was and started with Mick. His commentary always lifted and excited me. I relied on him to be my eyes until I was able to get home and sit in front of a TV.

Mick stood there at the gas station, taking a bite out of his snack with me grinning ear to ear thrilled to see him. He then swallowed his food and asked, "so what is your story?". It startled me as I could tell he genuinely wanted to know. After a 5 second pause that seemed like forever, his wife walked up and hopped in the car. I didn't want to interfere on their time as I could tell they were traveling, so I just told him how huge of a fan I was and thanked him for his time and service with the Panthers.

But the truth Mick, is to that 10 year old kid now turned adult, you WERE the Panthers. You were a friend, you were excitement and you were heartbreak. When I think back on that time, Mick solidified my fanship with the Panthers. And for that I will always be thankful!

I can hardly relate to this at all from a fan perspective, as I grew up listening to Bill Rosinski, and he'll always be the voice I hear in my head when I think of big Panthers moments. However, the thing I take from this is how much younger you are than me, and how big of a Panthers fan you are. It's great to see the fandom passed down to new generations. It takes a long time to build a fanbase like the Steelers or Packers, and it starts like this. Thanks for sharing this!

• Pie 2

I'm glad you liked Mick. I did not. I could not stand that corny-ass, country-boy bit that he brought to the booth. If I had to hear him say what color 'britches' the teams were wearing one more time, I would have broken my radio. And that stupid play call bit he would do before games....good riddance. 

Give me Bill Rosinski every day of the week. 

That being said, rooting for this new kid they brought in. I hope he modernizes the radio broadcast. Mick was a relic of the 'good old days' Southern boys club that Jerry ran.