• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers may now be hesitant to trade back...

Mr. Scot

... in light of the recent moves made by the Saints (per Jeff Howe in The Athletic).

But there might be an unintended consequence with the Saints’ early chess move. For example, maybe the Panthers were hoping to slide a few spots to get their quarterback, rather than staying at No. 6 for Malik Willis, Kenny Pickett or Matt Corral. Now, though, if the Panthers’ preferred QB is still on the board when they’re on the clock, they might not risk a move back with the Saints lurking.

The same could be said for QB-needy teams like the Falcons (No. 😎 Seahawks (No. 9), Commanders (No. 11), Vikings (No. 12) or Texans (Nos. 3 and 13). Or maybe the Saints’ preemptive strike will cause those teams to make an early, aggressive move of their own. The Steelers, who pick at No. 20, also know they’ll have to contend with the Saints in the quarterback market.

Suddenly, an imperfect quarterback class — one that might’ve led to a more patient approach in the draft — might have just become the main draft storyline, with teams knowing they’ll almost certainly need to fend off the Saints to get their guy.

• Pie 1

I'm so OK with trading down. Probably would catch alot of flack, but could you imagine trading down to the mid to late 20's and picking up a 1st for a QB next year and maybe a 2nd or 3rd this year. Grab Green or Johnson to play guard and roll with BC at LT? Trading down for Penning is what I want to happen, but just thinking worst case here. Lets wait on a QB.

• Pie 5

anyone else have an inkling the saints are actually trading up for a LT?

on the one hand that’s a lot of capital for a non qb

on the other, they’re not a stupid FO and probably understand the value of a franchise LT and they may have one that they really really like

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 3

Just now, KBRed said:

What stinks is that Matt Rhule is playing for his job, and doesn’t care about next year. So, any chance of bettering our draft for next year, probably won’t happen. 

i can see that. Why may just take Icky or Neal and try to provide Sam with the best possible protection and hope for the best.

• Pie 2

The Saints need a QB, a WR, and a LT. If they think they can get 2 of those in the first round without moving up, I think they want both picks in this draft. They believe they arent going to be in position for a QB in next year's draft and their guy is going to slide to them. At worst they will have to maybe jump up a few spots with one of the 1st rounders, but I think they actually do want more picks this year and aren't looking for one top tier guy.

• Pie 4

The Saints are foolish to give up 2 firsts for a QB that will not beat out Dalton and Crablegs--a #3.  However, the Saints aggression could mean that the Panthers get offers-even if (for example) Willis goes at #5.  If they do not want Pickett, they could gamble and trade with a team like the Seahawks and move back, still possibly landing Pickett and undoubtedly landing Corral if they like him instead.

So it depends on who they like and how many they like. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

None of the QB's in this draft class are worth the #6 overall pick. Let the Saints trade up and waste their draft capital. They are great at doing that. 

If the Panthers didn't think Mac Jones or Justin Fields were worth the #8 overall pick last year, and they think any of the QB's in the 2022 draft class are worth the #6 overall pick, everyone needs to be fired. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, hepcat said:

None of the QB's in this draft class are worth the #6 overall pick. Let the Saints trade up and waste their draft capital. They are great at doing that. 

If the Panthers didn't think Mac Jones or Justin Fields were worth the #8 overall pick last year, and they think any of the QB's in the 2022 draft class are worth the #6 overall pick, everyone needs to be fired. 

Yeah,  but last year, the Panthers had visions of Darnold reforming and becoming good in a new environment.  This year, lets hope they are not developing visions of Darnold reforming and becoming good behind 2 new OL.

I think if a guy has all pro-upside then he is worth the pick. If the guy has the potential to challenge mahomes and burrow even if he isn't there now you pick him. I know that scares the conservative approach that most of this board has, but you always bet on talent. More times than not. It's what the chiefs did with Mahomes.. and tyreek hill. Talent usually wins out. Play it safe with Hugh floor guys gets you Derrick brown and Shaq Thompson to a degree. Those guys are fine but not teir 1 guys.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Yeah,  but last year, the Panthers had visions of Darnold reforming and becoming good in a new environment.  This year, lets hope they are not developing visions of Darnold reforming and becoming good behind 2 new OL.

I think they know Darnold is garbage. They figured that out mid last season. Problem is they've botched all their other opportunities. 

• Pie 3