• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My Thoughts on the 2022 Draft (Matthias Rant)

Matthias

29 minutes ago, davos said:

Howell, Rattler, Corral, Willis, Strong, hell, even Slovis and Purdy were all talked up.  It truly is amazing how it evolves within the span of one college football season.  

Right now, the train is Stroud, Young, Levis, Richardson, McCall, Van Dyke (and likely a few more like Haener, Jurk, etc.)

Richardson could return to school, Levis and McCall are ones that could bloom up or fizzle, Haener & Young are smaller.  Stroud is an OSU at the end of the day.  I can see it quickly changing; hell maybe at the end of the year, Van Dyke and Levis are the obvious 1A and 1B and Stroud decides to start a Christmas tree farm in Ohio.  

I'd rather get hyped for Corral and see what he's got because college football is going to be a roller coaster with this QB market.

What about the year prior?

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

What about the year prior?

Trevor and Fields had been hyped since they were in high school and were finally making the leap so everyone had been eyeing them since like, forever. Ready to see their final seasons and go 1-2. And Lance was known as the small school kid to keep tabs on.  There were a few prominent early hype train that went nowhere--Jamie Newman & Kellen Mond.  No one had their eyes on Mac Jones.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Matthias said:

I I wasn't against it, but I hate they traded up for one, especially a freaking third!  These guys were falling off the edge of a cliff. (I think Howell went in the early 4th round)  So of course as we saw, we picked Corral.  Now I'm looking at this dude, and I see nothing special, at all. 

Macadoo is an experienced OC and has worked with some impressive QBs.  He also has a good track record of evaluating QB's.  Corral was his guy.  That's good enough for me.

Depending on how you value a future 3rd, in draft capital, this was a mid 2nd or mid 3rd round pick.  We gave up a 3rd for CJ Henderson.  Fit picked up 3rds trading down last year.

The Titans had just traded up to get Willis.  Pickett and Ridder were already gone and at the point in time, we didn't know if we would have the run on QB's everyone was expecting.  Its easy to see in hindsight that Howell would still be there until 5th round of the draft, but you didn't know that then.  Besides, Corral was the one that Macadoo wanted.

We don't know if Macadoo is right or if this guy can even be an NFL QB.  We'll see.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Ship said:

Corral is the exact same height and weight as Lamar Jackson. He's not too small.

Yep. That's another overblown take. He's not the biggest, but he's not really small. He's 24 years old and hasn't had pro level conditioning yet. As long as he's smart, which I believe that he is, he'll be alright. Basically 6'2", 212. He'll likely put on five to 10 pounds of muscle. 

If we finish with a top 5 draft pick next year I dont think it matters who is playing QB for us our NEW HC will pick the next QB.

The only way Corral prevents us from drafting a QB is if he has a rookie season comparable to Davis Mills. If that happens we are all happy. 

2 hours ago, Matthias said:

I see many of us are hyping him up.  His talent, from what I've seen in his highlights, is not better than what we saw from guys like Will Grier.

The SEC is a grown man's conference (as Oklahoma found out pretty quickly against essentially one of the league's bottom dwellers). The Big 12 and the other pretenders simply cannot compare. Corral consistently faced NFL-level talent.

And, by the way, Grier wishes that his release was as quick as Corral's, and that his feet were as quick as Corral's, and that his ball came out with as much zip.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Matthias said:

We'll see this year.  I project he's going to shoot toward the top.  I believe he has good form, one that translates well in the pros.  He has size, which is a positive.  Not too many Drew Brees and Russell Wilson sized dudes become elite in the NFL.  And even though Corral is around 6'2, the guy is scrawny.  As crazy as this sounds, I don't think this is something that can easily by fixed.  Can his frame handle a weight increase?

He has good form? Dude, he’s barely even played. He couldn’t even win the starting job at Florida and I can’t even tell you who started on Florida’s team this year. He’s going into his 3rd year too. 

Sure, not many Wilsons/Brees/Jackson’s etc, but I can name a lot of guys 6’3+(Insane physical traits) who haven’t done anything in the NFL. 

I’m not even arguing if he’s going to be a top pick or not. I’m saying you being down on Corral by comparing him to a kid who can’t even break the depth chart in his 2nd year at Florida is asinine. 

Edited by SazmoRanger
  • Pie 2

The intriguing thing for me is the “what if” possibility of all this.  What if we got our franchise LT and QB with little draft capital.  That would set this franchise on a whole new trajectory.  

Will that happen?  Who the fug knows. But we can at least hope. That is what this time of year is for before it all comes crashing down to reality.   

• The D 1

1 minute ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

The intriguing thing for me is the “what if” possibility of all this.  What if we got our franchise LT and QB with little draft capital.  That would set this franchise on a whole new trajectory.  

Will that happen?  Who the fug knows. But we can at least hope. That is what this time of year is for before it all comes crashing down to reality.   

This makes camp/preseason far more exciting knowing there is at least someone besides Darnold and PJ taking reps. 

I hope they don’t hide Darnold again during preseason. I want a real competition. 

• Pie 1

If Corral doesn't look like the guy, trade him. Quarterbacks retain value even when they perform poorly.

We can get something back for him for sure. Though I think at worst we have a long time backup with some elite traits.

You take a swing and understand there’s a good chance we’re back in the top 10 next year. But going into the season with Darnold as the only option was never going to happen. I’d rather have Corral and see if he can progress on a cheap deal than tie up more money on Baker or Jimmy G. Plenty of 2nd-3rd round guys light it up. He’s widely regarded as the most complete prospect in the class. Nobody is saying he’s going to o the pro bowl this year. But honestly a competent starter with upside who isn’t gonna throw games for us could be enough to get in the playoff hunt. 

7 hours ago, Matthias said:

I see many of us are hyping him up.  His talent, from what I've seen in his highlights, is not better than what we saw from guys like Will Grier.

What are you seeing that is similar to Will Grier?  Corral has the quickest release I've seen in a while and it's very accurate.  Seems to process things very quickly (could be because of the RPO offense).  There is a post showing the 7v7 High School QBs where it was stated Corral had the strongest arm since Stafford to come through that program, so his arm talent and release/processing is instantly better than Grier.  His speed/footwork is also much greater than Grier's.  Corral dropped in the draft because of his off the field issues with alcohol and depression.  The only thing physical that might have made him not a first round QB is his injury history/smaller frame.  Will Grier was picked higher than he should have been because we liked the way he interviewed.  The only similarity I see is we drafted both in the 3rd.  Fitt also drafted Russ Wilson in the 3rd and wasn't here when he took Grier, so there is that.

7 hours ago, PootieNunu said:

We drafted a LT in the 3rd round at pick 6 in 2021. We then drafted a much higher rated prospect at LT in 2022 with Pick 6 in Round 1.

If we are in position next year to take a highly rated QB, I dont think we pass it up.

Exactly.  If Corral is still a question mark like BC is, our staff has shown they will draft the higher prospect at an important position until the need is met.