• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If a city offers a new stadium and training facility...

Jmac

27 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I felt the same way when people first started talking about the Chargers moving to Los Angeles.  That was a dumb move, and it's still a dumb move.  The chargers are an afterthought in their own stadium.  

DIdn't stop them from doing it.  

Im glad the chargers moved, as bad as things have gotten @ BOA at least the panthers have not had to go to a silent snap count due to visiting fans... we are getting close though.

4 minutes ago, DJ feed me moore said:

Im glad the chargers moved, as bad as things have gotten @ BOA at least the panthers have not had to go to a silent snap count due to visiting fans... we are getting close though.

San Diego is a city of transplants though. In the 2017 census only 46% of San Diego area residents were even born in the state of California. Sure, folks relocate to Charlotte but not like THAT.

4 hours ago, Floppin said:

Eh, I don't see them moving regardless. They'll all strike some bullshit deal in the long run. Tepper would also now have to move two separate sports franchises and all that entails. If he does move, good riddance.

All of this. 

I dont believe the team is going anywhere, and if they do *shrug* Life goes on.

8 hours ago, Tbe said:

NC is currently 9th in population. Right behind Georgia. There is no way the NFL will allow a market like that to go without a team. Really bad for business.

Tepper is stuck here whether he likes it or not.

Don't remember LA? The NFL let that huge market go years without a franchise.

2 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

You guys never miss an opportunity to express your displeasure with Tepper. 

Way to be consistent.  

5 wins, 5 wins, 5 wins 

I mean he is the proud owner of the worst era of Panther football.  Should there not be displeasure in the air? 

• Pie 3

So, let's look at the 2-ton gorilla in the room:  what city would be in the fiscal position and have a political climate that would allow this kind of expenditure to happen?

No place in California.  They can barely get privately-funded stadiums built.  And San Jose is locked up by the Niners.

Not Portland.  At this point, they are bleeding tax base.

Not St. Louis.  Their last-ditch effort to build a riverfront stadium was woefully underfunded.

Earlier, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, and  Oklahoma City.  I can't speak to the fiscal situation of any of them, nor the political climate as it comes to building an NFL stadium.  Generally, cities that have the fiscal means to build stadiums got that way by not going down paths like this.

It is a bad time to try and pull off something like that.  Cities may say they will do it, but saying it and being able to do it are two different things. 

• Pie 1

Just don't think the SLC metro area is big enough to support and NFL team and once you get outside of the metro area, the population gets very sparse very quickly. Same thing for OKC. Not to mention that the Cowboys are extremely well rooted in OKC with Dallas only being three hours away.

• Beer 1

The team Tepper and his organization fielded last season succeeded in bringing my interest in the team to by far it's lowest ebb in any point in it's history, including the Season of Pickles. There will always be a place in my sports heart for the Panthers, but in my youth I ate breathed and thought Hornets basketball, but I am here to tell you that year after year of mediocrity will cause me to look for other interests in life.

Some admire the soulless sports zombies of places like Cleveland, mindlessly rooting for competitive excrement year after year, but I don't. Life is short. Professional sports needs me as a fan, I don't need it.  If it gives me a reason to watch, I will. If it doesn't, I won't.

Add to this my utter distaste for government subsidy of highly profitable private business, and if Tepper wants to move a losing organization to someplace foolish enough to sacrifice their children's future in order to provide a billionaire with tax breaks and tell themselves it's a good idea with a lot of nonsense about economic impact, then I say good riddance.

Prove to me you can win, then I might care whether you go or stay.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Nailed it. That's where I am. I fully expect to probably watch as a general NFL fan this season simply tuning into the most interesting game available. Sure, I'll watch the first 3-4 Panthers games but I fully expect that we're likely on the way to another 5ish win season at that point and I'm not going to wait until week 13 this coming season to stop subjecting myself to watching terrible football at the expense of missing out on watching some really good football.

I just can't really emotionally invest in a Rhule led NFL team. Sorry, he's a proven failure at this level. And honestly, I'm getting very close to the same point with Tepper. 

My fandom is absolutely on the brink at this point.

22 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Sacremento, Portland, San Jose, St. Louis, San Diego, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, and Oklahoma City are all threats but I don't see the team moving. Those are all lateral moves.

That said ... what's up with so many of those places starting with the letter S? Weird.

im in SLC, will never happen

people are in church and preaching door to door all day Sunday.

they’ll burn for all eternity if they miss it…or have a beer, or really do anything else on the sabbath 

Edited by onmyown
  • Beer 1

50 minutes ago, onmyown said:

im in SLC, will never happen

people are in church and preaching door to door all day Sunday.

they’ll burn for all eternity if they miss it…or have a beer, or really do anything else on the sabbath 

I rolled through there back in '97 on I-80. I was surprised that it had a smooth jazz radio station at the time. That spoke to me as it being a modern city. It's a beautiful city. 

As far as the NFL, it's a smaller market and the powers-that-be and general populace are not likely to support a taxpayer-funded stadium in any shape, fashion or form. 

12 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I rolled through there back in '97 on I-80. I was surprised that it had a smooth jazz radio station at the time. That spoke to me as it being a modern city. It's a beautiful city. 

As far as the NFL, it's a smaller market and the powers-that-be and general populace are not likely to support a taxpayer-funded stadium in any shape, fashion or form. 

SLC is kind of a low key poo hole of a city in a beautiful geographical setting... as long as you only look east.