• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Solid depth on OL

musicman

Let's say Icky is the starting LT and Brady LG. Bozeman at C, Corbett at RG and Moton at LT.

That leaves you Brady and then Erving as back up tackles. Elfein and then, Cade and Brown as back up Guards. Elfein and then Cade as back up center. 

9 man crew when it's usually 10 opens up another slot. That should be a top 15 in the league if the gel and stay healthy. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 5

21 minutes ago, musicman said:

Let's say Icky is the starting LT and Brady LG. Bozeman at C, Corbett at RG and Moton at LT.

That leaves you Brady and then Erving as back up tackles. Elfein and then, Cade and Brown as back up Guards. Elfein and then Cade as back up center. 

9 man crew when it's usually 10 opens up another slot. That should be a top 15 in the league if the gel and stay healthy. 

I think our offensive line looks pretty good.  Always room for improvement.

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If we could use Tremble as a FB and TE, we could free up 2 roster spots.

I agree. This makes a lot of sense. Giovanni Rici was a wasted roster spot last year IMO. It makes as much sense as Subbing in Cam at QB to run a QB sneak on the 1 yard line...

Makes Sense GIFs | Tenor

• Pie 3

Starting LG is the only 'problem' spot.  If someone can take command of that position, the OL will be solid.  As I have said about LG earlier, I'd prefer a salty veteran next to Ickey.  I'm not sure he's on this roster.   I'd be content to wait to roster cut downs at the end of camp to maybe find this guy.  Unlike center and tackle, guards are the easiest position to pick up quickly on the OL.  I wouldn't be worried about the late arrival as much as I am concerned about getting the right guy in that spot.

It's not hard to find the 8 O-linemen that will stay.  The 9th OL guy is up for debate.  Brown is probably the best bet now, but he couldn't make the roster last year.  Daley, Jordan, Tecklenburg, Horton, Pleasants are on one-year/expiring deals with Daley the only one carrying dead cap (only ($735k).  I haven't seen Miller's contract and I doubt it's of consequence. 

3 hours ago, Michael G said:

I agree. This makes a lot of sense. Giovanni Rici was a wasted roster spot last year IMO. It makes as much sense as Subbing in Cam at QB to run a QB sneak on the 1 yard line...

I agree with you.  To take it even farther, having Ricci in the game was a complete telegraph to the defense since the only thing he ever did was block.  He never carried the ball.  Never caught the ball.  "Follow me to the point of attack everyone!"

• Beer 1

I wonder if Cade or Brown would be better at G than Brady Christensen?

still I think having brady as our back up LT is great depth.

I still wonder if Brady would be the better LT, at least this year than Icky? Icky at LG and Brady at LT could be the better combo atleast for now.

4 hours ago, musicman said:

There are a LOT of ifs there. 

Keep in mind that includes some pretty bad lineman that if forced into action will torpedo at least one spot on the OL.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

There are a LOT of ifs there. 

Keep in mind that includes some pretty bad lineman that if forced into action will torpedo at least one spot on the OL.

Yep. Brown's still a theory, Brady actually has to take the spot, and Elflein and Erving are both real, real rough when they actually get PT. If someone gets hurt it's better to be able to throw Elf or Erving into whatever spot opens up than have to re-shuffle the whole line, but it still creates a serious weak spot at whatever position they have to play.

• Beer 1

32 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I agree with you.  To take it even farther, having Ricci in the game was a complete telegraph to the defense since the only thing he ever did was block.  He never carried the ball.  Never caught the ball.  "Follow me to the point of attack everyone!"

And he wasn't a very good blocker-(He was a WR in college). Tremble is known as very good blocker.