• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Big Ten and SEC fixing to dismantle the ACC?

Squirrel

24 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

From the paid unc board 

Well if you are telling the truth then that is interesting. IC has been wrong just as many times as they have been right about stuff. At this point I have no idea what these greedy bastards are doing anymore. 

10 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Somebody mentioned Notre Dame earlier as inevitably joining a conference (Big10, most likely).  As long as they have a TV contract with a major network that they do not need to share with a group, they will stay independent.  Apparently they put up good ratings numbers, although I have no earthly idea why.  But then again, my favorite college football team is whoever is playing Notre Dame, so I am not an unbiased judge.

I am one of the people who adds to the ratings for Notre Dame games.  I am a card carrying Notre Dame hater, and I tune in to watch them lose (or see if they will lose).  Its a strong motivator to watch a particular game and its one of the reasons why Cowboys games have such high ratings.  "America's Team" in modern terms means the team most of America LOVES to watch lose the most.  I love to see my team win.  I love to see teams lose that helps MY team get into a better position for something good.  But if you take away MY team or results that impact MY team...I enjoy watching the Cowboys and Notre Dame lose the most.

• Pie 1

The ACC won't be "dead," but my belief is that it will probably be comprised of NC State, Wake, Boston College, Pitt, Georgia Tech and new invitees ECU, Appalachian State, Georgia State and Marshall.

As the super conferences raid the ACC, the ACC will raid the Sun Belt to stay afloat. 

BTW, if anyone believes the Big Ten doesn't want Duke, lol. Duke belongs there far more than Northwestern, or Vandy in the SEC. They already suck at football, but baseball/men's and women's basketball/lacrosse will instantly raise their profile. 

12 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

Notre Dame could have picked any conference it wanted, and still can. As can any other school. Nothing will change.

I THINK their agreement with the ACC states that should they decide to join a conference for football, it will be the ACC.  I have no idea what it would take to buy that out.  Otherwise, that agreement is in place until something like 2036.

Aside from that, you are correct.  The Big 10 geographically makes the most sense, but looking at the proposed Big 12 and the fact Notre Dame has always wanted to play teams across the country, that may mean nothing.  Notre Dame was around 4th in football revenue last year, 12th overall in athletic department revenue, and their endowment is 7th for individual schools (a cool $18B, only behind 4 Ivies, MIT, and Stanford).  In other words, they have the endowment and revenue to operate their program any way they want.  And they have.

As for the Big 10 potential TV revenue vs. their contract with NBC, IF the Big 10 gets a huge deal, that will be ammunition for Notre Dame with NBC as their current contract, which was extended to 2025, winds down.  NBC apparently wants to supplement that Notre Dame games on Saturdays, not replace them. 

With their endowment and football/athletic department revenue, adding $30M or so to join a conference and causes them to lose control of several things is really pocket change.

Looks like the ACC is discussing an alliance with the remaining PAC-10 schools. I believe this is the only way PAC-10 can keep ARIZONA, ASU, Colorado, and Utah from bolting. The next week will be really interesting for college sports and the future of the ACC.

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

The ACC won't be "dead," but my belief is that it will probably be comprised of NC State, Wake, Boston College, Pitt, Georgia Tech and new invitees ECU, Appalachian State, Georgia State and Marshall.

As the super conferences raid the ACC, the ACC will raid the Sun Belt to stay afloat. 

BTW, if anyone believes the Big Ten doesn't want Duke, lol. Duke belongs there far more than Northwestern, or Vandy in the SEC. They already suck at football, but baseball/men's and women's basketball/lacrosse will instantly raise their profile. 

Northwestern - Chicago market 

nobody on earth gives a crap about the non revenue sports you mentioned. Duke will either stay in a minor league ACC or go to the big East with all the other private Christian basketball schools. 

1 hour ago, philit99 said:

Looks like the ACC is discussing an alliance with the remaining PAC-10 schools. I believe this is the only way PAC-10 can keep ARIZONA, ASU, Colorado, and Utah from bolting. The next week will be really interesting for college sports and the future of the ACC.

The Big Ten was insistent on keeping the "Big Ten" name even when they had more than 10 teams.  It was a branding thing, which led to the B1G logo amongst some other quirky changes.  Maybe I'm biased from living in the south, but to me the ACC is an iconic moniker as well.  And if they do invite those teams I would hope they can do something corny like B1G did and say it stands for "All Coast Conference" or something like that.

NFL Draft Bible Radio: 2019 B1G Prospect Preview 07/26 by NFL DraftBible |  Football

On 7/5/2022 at 1:38 PM, top dawg said:

Big fish in small pond. I don't think any of the ACC teams want to move lest they turn into the Vandys and Northwesterns of the world.

Miami and Clemson are talking about it - rumours they're a package deal.

The media deal for the ACC is terrible in comparison to the SEC / B1G one - they'll both leave, you'd be hamstrung competing against the teams in the Power 2 if you stayed. UNC are being eyed up by both conferences too.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

Miami and Clemson are talking about it - rumours they're a package deal.

The media deal for the ACC is terrible in comparison to the SEC / B1G one - they'll both leave, you'd be hamstrung competing against the teams in the Power 2 if you stayed. UNC are being eyed up by both conferences too.

They'll get what they deserve then. I can't speak for the Big 10, but the SEC's culture is CFB. If a school doesn't live that reality, then they will become punching bags for the big boys (maybe even the little boys if the Razorbacks-Longhorns game is any indication). If Miami and Clemson are not ready to sell their souls to football (and all that that entails), then they should stay put...unless they're simply selling out for the money. 

I guess that the brass at the schools can still feel like winners even if they're perennial losers on the gridiron . As an alum or fan, I wouldn't be happy.

Edited by top dawg

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

They'll get what they deserve then. I can't speak for the Big 10, but the SEC's culture is CFB. If a school doesn't live that reality, then they will become punching bags for the big boys (maybe even the little boys if the Razorbacks-Longhorns game is any indication). If Miami and Clemson are not ready to sell their souls to football (and all that that entails), then they should stay put...unless they're simply selling out for the money. 

I guess that the brass at the schools can still feel like winners even if they're perennial losers on the gridiron . As an alum or fan, I wouldn't be happy.

if Clemson goes to the SEC, their fans better spend Saturdays watching video of games from the 2010s, because they're gonna quickly become middle-of-the-road fodder for the big boys. 

1 hour ago, tgrfan01 said:

swoffie screwed the acc..clemson cant get out fast enough

Yeah you don’t know what you’re talking about. Everyone in the ACC should be thanking Swofford. 

Be careful what you wish for tiger fans. Those games against Syracuse, BC, Ga Tech will be replaced with much harder competition.