• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield is a Carolina Panther

uncfan888

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

Weren't you one of the people saying we should force Rhule to start Sam and let him get us a top 5 pick? At one point that was a fairly common take amongst those who didn’t want a QB in the draft. Most with common sense poured cold water on that though.

I said we rhule should start corral.   fug darnold.    

Well, here's that bridge qb you all wanted. We are right back to where we were when they signed Teddy. Only this time they have the benefit of another draft and another FA period under their belt. 

It looks a lot like a reset to me. I sure hope this clusterf*ck of an organization gets its crap together soon.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I would have been okay with that too but it's probably best we don't throw him to the wolves just yet. I'm hoping he has a great camp though.

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Well, here's that bridge qb you all wanted. We are right back to where we were when they signed Teddy. Only this time they have the benefit of another draft and another FA period under their belt. 

It looks a lot like a reset to me. I sure hope this clusterf*ck of an organization gets its crap together soon.

Sadly, I don't think the organization is going to get its crap together.

• Beer 2

Former league executive Scott Pioli joined NFL Total Access after the trade of Baker Mayfield to discuss precisely that. He first, however, noted how slick of a deal it was for the Panthers.

“Right off the top, the trade compensation for Carolina is terrific,” said Pioli, who does know a thing or two about swaps. “If you can give up only a fifth-round pick—that’s potentially a fourth-round pick—and only have to pay around $4.85 million in cash for a guy that could potentially be your starting quarterback, that’s a win.”

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Crazy that there's 55 pages of arguments on this. Panthers gave up a 5th and a very below-market salary for a guy who has had two QBR ratings above 50 (average starter), one above 60 (very good), and one of ~35 (quite poor, but he was playing hurt). 

It's only a 'bad' trade if you think he takes the Panthers into NFL purgatory (not good enough to make the playoffs, not bad enough to draft his replacement). But from a pure W/L perspective, it's a boon.

Edited by Borat
  • Pie 3

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Before we even drafted Corral (who you claimed sucked with this entire draft class of QBs) you wanted Tepper to make Rhule tank with Darnold. You stated it was a way for Tepper to fire Rhule easily next year. It was such a terrible idea/plan it still haunts me at night. 

22 minutes ago, Borat said:

Crazy that there's 55 pages of arguments on this. Panthers gave up a 5th and a very below-market salary for a guy who has had two QBR ratings above 50 (average starter), one above 60 (very good), and one of ~35 (quite poor, but he was playing hurt). 

It's only a 'bad' trade if you think he takes the Panthers into NFL purgatory (not good enough to make the playoffs, not bad enough to draft his replacement). But from a pure W/L perspective, it's a boon.

That’s what I think will happen. He will be just good enough to win a game or two more than last year, then their draft pick will be too high. I hope I’m wrong and he plays great and then the panthers have found their qb1 for cheap and then they extend him for years to come. Can’t fault them for trying something though. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

They were saying the same great things about the Darnold trade. How soon they forget.  

It's better than sitting on their hands not trying to improve.  I dont get it.  Certain people are just going to complain no matter what happens.  

• Pie 3

4 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

This move is 90% to set us back 3 plus years if not more. 

I think we just cemented our place in Purgatory. 

We weren't a bottom 3 team in the league last year, we had the 6th pick and went 1-7 in one score games.  Our roster overall has improved since last year.  The people who thought we were in the running for the top pick were caught up in the hate for Rhule and the over reacting sports media.  We were never going to get the top pick this coming season.