• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why so much optimism for Corral?

panther4life

4 hours ago, panther4life said:

Seems a good portion of this board think he may the answer to our QB woes or at minimum upset that Baker/Darnold will take away reps from him, hence impeding his ability to develop into a franchise QB.The odds of him becoming a franchise QB hover around 1% or less based on his draft position.

In the last 20 years you have:

Dak Prescott drafted 135th overall in 2016 8th QB taken that year.

Derek Carr drafted 36th overall in 2014      4th QB taken that year 

Russell Wilson drafted 75th overall in 2012 6th QB taken that year

Kirk Cousins drafted 104th overall in 2012  8th QB taken that year 

One could reason all of those QB’s would have been taken even earlier if not pushed down by higher rated prospects.

Outside of them you don’t have a single QB anywhere near earning the label of a franchise QB or even a good to great starter drafted outside of the 1st round.

So why is that so many seem convinced we struck Gold with Corral? 

Most just people high on hopium or copium.

Corral is an insanely wild long shot to be successful. But, I'll take his chances of being successful over Sam Darnold. That was a no-brainer choice. 

Anyone legitimately upset over Mayfield taking reps from Corral is just being ridiculous. If Corral is good enough, no one should worry about Baker Mayfield. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

Have you seen him play? His physical traits, quick release.  I don’t care that he’s not a first rounder we need to give him preaseason and practice reps with the first and second team and watch him develop. 

Corral has some very good traits you like in a passer. Good footwork, quick release, good arm/accuracy and some scrambling ability.  He only dropped because of the injuries and "character issues."  The bottom line is he has skills that should make for a good NFL QB.  We just need to see if he can put them together on the field and make it happen.

Because he was projected as the top QB in this class and First Round talent - until he twisted his ankle.  His stats and film in a very good conference show his potential and his personal maturity impresses people.  I don't think I have seen anyone who thinks he is a HOFer but top 10 potential is there.  If he is a consistent top 10 QB he would be the best QB we have ever had.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, NAS said:

Have you seen him play? His physical traits, quick release.  I don’t care that he’s not a first rounder we need to give him preaseason and practice reps with the first and second team and watch him develop. 

Traits are great but can you play? I care about that. If he can't show it in TC AND the preseason then he is just a developmental guy with little chance of being a star player.

He needs to be on the bench if he can't beat Mayfield and ESPECIALLY if he can't beat Darnold.

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, The Huddler said:

cause being a pessimistic turd sucks. Is he gunna be successful? idk, but ima be optimistic about it cause it sure beats being a miserable fug like a few on this board. using their panther fandom as their identity and relying on panthers success to make them happy. 

B20D5167-DEC4-4740-BEA3-29866EC557F3.png.3b8185d46c04697839c5685a3adcda64.png

I think everyone hopes he is the future.  I think this is more in regards to the people throwing a fir because we brought in Baker for this year because now Corral probably wont start this year.

It was a weird year where there was nothing close to a consensus on qb rankings. People were all over the place. However, some pretty good qb evaluators had Corral as the top prospect.  He doesn't really have any weaknesses. The mental "issues" were b.s. all along and his injuries came from playing as a rb because his wr's were all injured and he was willing to do whatever he needed to win.  He was a leader and a winner in the SEC with a lot less talent than guys like Bryce Young and Stetson Bennett. If you are a Carolina fan and can't find reason to be optimistic over Corral you are kind of a miserable person in general.  No guarantee that he becomes a quality starter, but i like his chances.  The fact that he will bust his ass to succeed is all i need to support him.  

• Pie 1

Just now, Davidson Deac II said:

This.

All the others are known quantities.  Corral is not.  

Sad but true.

We need to see enough of Corral in 2022 before we pick in 2023. That is not desperation but responsible and positive planning for beyond 'saving my arse' mode that Tepper created by bringing back Rhule this year.