• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will the run defense hold up?

Jmac

I think that with emphasis on gaining muscle while retaining speed we have the guys to stop the run but we have to play the run first and then rush the passer rather than the other way around. Burns need to make sure it is a pass before he tears around the corner giving up the edge to any outside run.  Chinn needs to play close to the box. Jackson needs to be in the slot and put the tall dudes outside. Shaq should play in the middle and we need 4 or 5 rushers on every play. If they run blitz it shuts it down and if a pass gives you penetration up the middle.

17 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I think that with emphasis on gaining muscle while retaining speed we have the guys to stop the run but we have to play the run first and then rush the passer rather than the other way around. Burns need to make sure it is a pass before he tears around the corner giving up the edge to any outside run.  Chinn needs to play close to the box. Jackson needs to be in the slot and put the tall dudes outside. Shaq should play in the middle and we need 4 or 5 rushers on every play. If they run blitz it shuts it down and if a pass gives you penetration up the middle.

This is the sort of comment that would be reassuring to hear from the coaching staff.

My gut says there’s gonna be a loud contingent calling for Snows head this year. 

This defense wasn’t that great last year. It masqueraded as a decent unit due to how inept the offense was. 

They don’t force turnovers and don’t stop the run. Couple that with the fact that we lost our second best (or you could probably make a good argument for best) pass rusher, and it’s gonna be a frustrating year. 

I expect a defense ranked somewhere between 14-20. 

• Pie 2

8 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Does 2-4 of them even have a contract that lasts longer than the next two seasons ? I’m pretty sure all of them at this point in time are free agents come 2025 season. 

Yeah, that's what I mean. I don't think many of those guys are the future of their position here.

13 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The factors for me...

Personnel acquisition prior to this offseason was skewed to the defensive side of the ball.

Defensive player acquisition has tended to emphasize speed over power.

Rhule and Snow basically built a defense that was heavily geared toward defending the pass.

Defense looked good early but once teams figured out they could run on us, it fell apart.

Not sure if Snow tried any major changes or adjustments, but if he did, it didn't show.

Bottom Line for me: What defensive improvement we've seen is probably due to the personnel emphasis, but the coaching and scheme have been lacking.

Not sure that changes this year.

We also lost our future pro bowl corner early on with no one to replace him. If they can leave him on an island and key in on the run d they will be fine. If horn has a sophomore slump we are doomed. 

Our run defense in RIvera's last season was one of the worst in NFL history.  We averaged allowing 5.2 yards per carry.   It has gotten progressively better in each season sense.  4.7 in  2019, and 4.1 per carry last year (middle of the pack in the NFL).  If that trend continues, it could be top 10 in the NFL this year.   

Our biggest problems on defense last year really point to the coaching. Snow had a scheme more than a defense -- he didn't build a complete unit. And the unit he built was just too soft to keep teams from bullying it.

Good coaching can fix both of those problems. I'm kind of pessimistic that Snow can be that guy for us. He doesn't seem up to the task as a pro-level DC.

1 minute ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Our run defense in RIvera's last season was one of the worst in NFL history.  We averaged allowing 5.2 yards per carry.   It has gotten progressively better in each season sense.  4.7 in  2019, and 4.1 per carry last year (middle of the pack in the NFL).  If that trend continues, it could be top 10 in the NFL this year.   

Good statistics and ones that surprise me, to be honest. It certainly didn't look like we were holding our own there. Maybe some of the really bad teams we played last season weren't able to run the ball against us nor pass against us, skewing the rushing statistics just as the overall defensive stats were skewed.

Good teams just took us to the woodshed with their running games. I just remember they moved the ball on us at will. 

14 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Good statistics and ones that surprise me, to be honest. It certainly didn't look like we were holding our own there. Maybe some of the really bad teams we played last season weren't able to run the ball against us nor pass against us, skewing the rushing statistics just as the overall defensive stats were skewed.

Good teams just took us to the woodshed with their running games. I just remember they moved the ball on us at will. 

No doubt, there were some games that the run d looked really bad.  The Minnesota game comes to mind.  Can't help but wonder if part of that was mental, as the defense got tired of watching the offense contribute nothing at all.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1