• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Freddie Kitchens: Baker Mayfied’s passion is an attribute, not a detriment

WarPanthers89

People can focus on Baker's attitude all they want. I don't think for one minute that the preponderance of FOs in the NFL declined to trade for and pay Baker what he was owed in 2021 because of his "fiery" personality or desire to win. It's his deficiencies on the field--the INTs, the missed throws, the missed reads that had him out there withering on the vine of the offseason market. No one was going to overpay for that type of fruit. If Baker wants better, he'll have to play better. That's the Baker bottom line!

• Pie 5

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

How many times did that actually happen though? He has 56 career INTs. How many are directly attributable to him? Let's say 75%. That's 42. So for argument's sake, let's say he has 42 career INTs that are directly his fault via a boneheaded decision or flat out bad throw. Of those 42, how many do you think came directly after berating an OL for missing a block? Seems most likely to me that situation was probably a one off.

The problem with this is it creates a narrative that gets spread as the norm.   Same as Cam.  Says one thing and it follows him around forever.  Social media is great in the sense that it spreads information quickly, but often times it creates a stereotype.  I’m not saying we shouldn’t be critical of anyones actions but just think we need to stop and think before writing someone off totally. 

im not a baker fanboy and was ready to roll with Sam and Matt but he is here and he is ours. There is nothing I can do but try to keep an open mind. 

I just think that there are too many stories about Mayfield's demeanor, and not enough stories about his actual play. I feel that too many fans, particularly Panthers fans (now that he's ours) are being baited by those with an agenda to focus on everything but Mayfield's actual game on the field of play. 

I mean, whether Baker Mayfield is Mr. Rodgers or an asshole simply doesn't matter as long as he's not doing anything unethical or illegal off the field. This is not to say that you can expect to be an asshole and be inferior at your job without consequences up to being demoted, without a pay increase, or fired). But, normally, if you're good--especially great at your job, people will be more likely to overlook your attitude, if they consider it at all.

• Pie 1

I've always thought  Jake Delhomme's attribute was his Passion..  I see some of that in Baker. 

So I hope he brings that Passion, excitement to the Panthers.  I know he's not going to be perfect on the field,  but it's always nice to have that passion that can lead to momentum. 

Yes,  Cam played with Passion.  He just had a lot more talent to go with it. 

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

All I ever hear about Baker is his passion and desire to win and not about how good of a qb he is. This isn’t a knock on him or anything, it’s just odd that’s all anyone says about him. 

I’d say that’s because his off the field issues are the narrative by these journalists. Everyone saw he is a capable  QB, but no one saw what happened behind the scenes. Some people that played with him (Corbet), or coached him (Kitchens) feel a need to defend him. 

• Pie 2

I think Baker will play decent this year, decent enough that it will yet again make our offseason QB circus front and center.  Darnold is history, that part is easy...he walks unless he's willing to take a huge pay cut and be a backup.

Baker, Corral and a loaded 2023 QB class is what this team will be looking at.  Unless Baker turns in a MVP type season, I don't think it's wise to hang on to him.  In his mind he's still a #1 overall draft pick.  Things will get sticky if he turns in an above average season and he's looking for a solid, long-term new deal.  My trepidation is we would probably consider it.

On 7/16/2022 at 11:32 AM, WarPanthers89 said:

Slow time so another article I came across. Florio has an attitude about him that really gets annoying.

Last year, when the Eagles sent quarterback Carson Wentz to the Colts, Wentz was able to tell himself that he was right and the Eagles were wrong. After one year in Indy, it became obvious that he was wrong about who was right and who was wrong.

This year, the Browns have sent quarterback Baker Mayfield to the Panthers. Is Mayfield telling himself that it’s the team’s fault that things didn’t work? Does he take any responsibility for how things went in Cleveland?

It’s an important point to keep in mind moving forward, Eventually, and inevitably, Mayfield will encounter adversity in Carolina. Whether he doesn’t win the starting job (it’s possible Sam Darnoldgets the gig) or struggles in the early part of the season or gets injured or has a bad showing in a win and snubs the media or whatever, at some point his maturity will be tested.

Enter his passion. The passion is the root of the periodic displays of immaturity. He wants to win. When he doesn’t win (or when things don’t go his way), he gets salty. He gets snippy.

Former Browns coach Freddie Kitchens, whose one-year tenure saw Mayfield regress from his success as a rookie, said in a recent appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio that Mayfield’s passion is “an attribute .  . . not necesarily a detriment.”

It can be both. For the best quarterbacks, the challenge becomes using the passion to push the right buttons, but to not let the passion cause problems. That’s the strangest thing about the obsession with winning that so many pro athletes exhibit. In a kid, the compulsion to win at anything and everything is viewed as a negative. In an adult, it’s regarded as admirable.

“The difference between good, great, and elite is sometime the passion you bring to the game,” Kitchens said.

He’s right. Still, that passion causes the adult to behave at times like a child, it’s not good. It poisoned the well for Mayfield in Cleveland. It may have contributed to Kitchens, now a senior football analyst at the University of South Carolina, getting fired after only one year as the head coach.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/15/freddie-kitchens-baker-mayfieds-passion-is-an-attribute-not-a-detriment/

1C9D4CC2-6FDF-4157-8E20-ED9AC6B22B07.jpeg

This is what I've said. The Browns issues that lead to Baker's departure were Browns issues. Only the Browns could bring in someone who may get a full year suspension, leaving them two years out of football, and give them the biggest guaranteed contract ever. 

Then they blame Baker for OBJ leaving? Everywhere OBJ has gone has turned into a an eventual shitshow.