• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield doesn't have a "top 64 arm"?

Zod

lol okay. Hes not Josh Allen or prime Cam... but hes also not Teddy Bridgewater, Chad Pennington, Kenny Pickett or Jimmy Clausen.

He realistically is probably a top 16-32 arm in the league. Accurate, high velocity, low elevation ball. Bakers issues have always been those that come with a gun slinger QB. Its the "No, no, no, YES" plays that eventually turn into "No ,no, no, no, no nooooooooo" plays and the mixed bag of results that come with that style.

I'm not saying he's a top 16 QB in the league but from a purely physical aspect there arent 64 QBs with a better arm than Baker. There probably arent 32 either. 

Dude is just pooing all over Baker. It's absurd to say Baker arm is lacking.  This guy is likely friends with whoever that disgruntled WR was in Cleveland blaming Baker for everything last year.  Stupid hot take. Literally trying to emulate Skip, A. Smith and Sharpe with loudly proclaiming idiot takes just to be edgy.  Yawn.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

9 minutes ago, joemac said:

Coming out of college Mayfield was considered elite with the mental side of things.  Read the Sports Illustrated draft profile on him that was posted in a previous thread.  Lincoln Riley raved about his intelligence and his mental preparation.  They gave him some test called the "AIQ", which is pretty much a modern Wonderlic, and he scored in like the top 10% of all the people who have taken the test.  So, I don't think intelligence is the issue either.  When hes put it all together hes been a great QB.  2020 was a great year for him.  His rookie year was very very good.  Hes just gotta play consistent. 

I am not impressed with what kids did in college or being hyped by their college coach, that is the coach's job and once they play in the NFL the college stuff is as important as what they did in HS IMO.

He has been in the NFL 4 years and there are known issues with Baker. Concentration, consistency, ego and whatever you call the BS drama he gets himself into are all in his brain. His personality is the issue, it literally gets in his way of being more than a now busted top QB pick trying to salvage his career. And that is OK, it's why he came cheap which is hilariously still an improvement over Sam. All signs point to him never putting it together consistently, he is an all over the place guy and his play over the last 4 years backs that. The frustrating thing about Baker is that he could have been a legit QB if his personality and ego were not such negatives. He is a lot like the caricature that people wanted to paint of Cam except with Baker it is true and really has negatively affected his NFL career. He is a vet and much like Sam he is what he has been at this point which is inconsistent with high highs and low lows who puts on a show from good to really bad. 

• Pie 1

39 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Debating who isn't the worst of the two tells you all you need to know. Both should be back ups.

There's no debate.  Baker is an actual functional starting QB in the NFL.  Sam is not.  Simple as. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, joemac said:

This dude has got CTE or some poo.  This is maybe the most absurd take I have ever seen from a so-called "expert".  Like WTF?  I seem to recall Baker having like top 5 velocity on his passes coming out of the combine.  I think they test those kinda things now, and Mayfield was elite. 

He did, I want to say it was 60 MPH -- https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/08/josh-allen-baker-mayfield-top-qb-velocity-during-combine-throwing-session/

Dan Shonka Article -- https://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-2018-NFL-Combine/10241/dh/

Dan Shonka from Ourlads published the velocity numbers for all the quarterbacks throwing at the combine. Throws to both the left and the right are listed. Allen and Mayfield were the only QBs to hit 60 MPH.

It’s not a surprise to see Allen at the top with 62 MPH. His arm strength is his greatest attribute. Mayfield throwing so hard will stun many critics who label his arm weak or inadequate.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, joemac said:

Coming out of college Mayfield was considered elite with the mental side of things.  Read the Sports Illustrated draft profile on him that was posted in a previous thread.  Lincoln Riley raved about his intelligence and his mental preparation.  They gave him some test called the "AIQ", which is pretty much a modern Wonderlic, and he scored in like the top 10% of all the people who have taken the test.  So, I don't think intelligence is the issue either.  When hes put it all together hes been a great QB.  2020 was a great year for him.  His rookie year was very very good.  Hes just gotta play consistent. 

You mean healthy, people tend to forget he basically pulled a Cam in 2018 and played well below 100% health. 

Literally playing QB with ONE arm. 

• Pie 2

At this point, what talks heads say does not matter neither does  what we say or wanted either 

He is here. He is the starting QB. 

I wish him the best and I hope for a competitive team 

I will pay zero attention to anything the Panthers and Rhule say.  Rhule lies when his lips move   They understand, too, that they cannot trot Darnold out to the home,fans and I understand, like we all do, there is zero faith in Darnold

i THOUGHT Panther people were better than Cleveland...guess not...please, give Baker a chance before writing him off...the idiots in Cleveland made him strictly a pocket passer last year and he failed, on top of having an injured left shoulder.

In college he ruled as a roll out...so let him roll out or hand off..simple...but get off his back please. He's as good as most.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1